Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > General Hardware and Peripherals
Register Forgot Password?

Old 23-07-13   #1
teh nuB!
[E]onian
I have set my status....hehehe

First Impression: APC Back UPS Pro 1 KVA with Battery Pack (BR1000G-IN + BR24BPG-IN)

Needed a good UPS with extended battery runtime.
Decided to go with APC UPS.

Brought From : Comnet Vision, Nehru Place
(Got there address from APC website)

Price: UPS - Rs. 8000/-
Battery Pack - Rs. 6000/-
Total - Rs. 14000/-

Unboxing: Packaging was good as expected. Took out both the UPS and battery pack from the box with care. They are quite heavy, each must be weighing around 15 Kg. They look very similar (same build, same size). UPS has front panel with three buttons and a small display (?LCD) which is brightly illuminated when switched on.

Accessories: Pics attached. Came with manual, a USB cable for connecting to the computer, Powerchute software CD, A telephone line sort of cable for surge protection in telephone lines, don't know how that works and if it is needed. (Someone please shed some light on this). No setup guide mentioning any special precautions while first run (like charge for full night etc.). So I guessed, it just needed to be connected and would be ready to go.

Installation: Pretty easy. Just connected it to power and connected the computer power cords to panel at the back. The back panel has total of 6 ports. 4 ports are battery powered and 2 ports are surge protection only ports. The devices connected to these two ports won't receive power from battery when there is power cut. One of the ports is master ports to which main CPU is connected. If you activate some settings, then when computer is switched off or in sleep mode, it will cut power to all other ports. By default it is deactivated.

So, after connections, powered it on and the small front panel screen immediately started glowing. It looks pretty awesome (and expensive too...).
Powered on the computer and installed the power chute software. Screenshots are attached. The software shows in realtime the current power consumption and estimated time battery will last on current load. It has also an option to automatically shut down PC when a fixed amount of battery has drained or after a fixed amount of time after power cut. Loads of other features which I not much bothered about.

Connecting the battery pack: Battery pack has a small connection wire (its annoyingly small, hardly 25 cm), so both boxes need to placed adjacent to each other). Powered off whole system. Switched off the UPS and connected the battery pack. It was simple, just had to plug in the connector of the wire at the back of the battery pack. Again restarted the whole setup it ran perfectly fine. Ran the powerchute software and the estimated runtime on battery had jumped from 59 minutes on UPS alone to 224 minutes with battery pack (at same load). Load reading was hovering around 78-96 Watts [running one 24" Benq monitor, one D-link modem and one CPU (Coolermaster Thunder 600 PSU + i7-4770 + 16GB RAM + onboard GPU + Samsung SSD). The power load is of idle machine or when doing simple things like browsing webpage etc. )

Summary:
1. Nice UPS. Build quality and finishing from outside is top notch.
2. Good battery backup
3. USB connection and software control of automatic shutdown and estimated runtime is very good.
4. 2 Year warranty
5. Fron panel display screen looks awesome when switched on

Few Minor Negatives:
1. No clear installation guide. Atleast they could write that just connecte and its good to go. More over manual is in so many pieces of 1-2 sheets and a booklet.
2. Very small length connection wire at the back of battery pack.
3. Pretty complicated due to loads of features. Was reading the manual and it has many features and warning signs and controls.
Was not in mood to study it all so skipped it form some time.

That's all for now. Will update in this thread of any issues if they come up. So far very good. Its working great.

Pics are attached, sorry for the bad quality, took them from my Logitech Webcam C270

ManISinJpr and topgear like this.

Last edited by Giraffe; 23-07-13 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Small typo errors
Giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-13   #2
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble
Re: First Impression: APC Back UPS Pro 1 KVA with Battery Pack (BR1000G-IN + BR24BPG-

Nice of you to share this with us.

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-13   #3
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Steamroller?

uniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirableuniquegamer is highly Admirable
Re: First Impression: APC Back UPS Pro 1 KVA with Battery Pack (BR1000G-IN + BR24BPG-

Nice review .
Congrats for getting this huge monster ups
uniquegamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-13   #4
teh nuB!
[E]onian

Giraffe is very Notable

Originally Posted by uniquegamer View Post
Nice review .
Congrats for getting this huge monster ups
Thanks.......
Old 09-09-13   #5
My Eyes are on You Seller
Community Moderator
I havent set my status yet.

johnjoyjoe is highly Reputablejohnjoyjoe is highly Reputablejohnjoyjoe is highly Reputablejohnjoyjoe is highly Reputable

Congrats on your Purchase. i would like to know your Config of your system. Like M/b processor and GPU PSU Etc.

i am intending to go for this one but dont know how much backup i can get when i will use My 670 or 780. i mean while gaming
johnjoyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-13   #6
teh nuB!
[E]onian

Giraffe is very Notable

PSU - Cooler Master Thunder 600 Watts
Mboard- Intel DH87MC
CPU - Core i7-4770
GPU- On board (No graphics card)
Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB SSD
WD 500 GB + Seagate 320 GB HD Drive
CDROM-Drive
Asus Xonar Essence ST Sound Card
Also running one Dlink 2750U Wifi Modem and Benq 24" Full HD Monitor
Old 10-09-13   #7
Community Moderator

johnjoyjoe is highly Reputablejohnjoyjoe is highly Reputablejohnjoyjoe is highly Reputablejohnjoyjoe is highly Reputable

with this config it should at-least Consume 125watts i think.
do you get the same battery time as in powerchute when your AC power Goes?
Old 10-09-13   #8
teh nuB!
[E]onian

Giraffe is very Notable

Nope .....its consuming 78 watts when during routine work like surfing net etc.
When light goes and it swtiches to battery powers, it shows same consumption and remaining time.
At this load, remaining time its is showing 245 minutes

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

Maybe it consume less because other components are lying idle.
For eg. other two HD not working, TV tuner not working, CDROM drive also lying idle, CPU load is hardly 2-4%
Also I think Haswell chips are much more power efficient.

and yes I forgot to mention in the configuration, RAM is 8+8 GB.
ManISinJpr likes this.
Old 13-09-13   #9
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

JsDart is Notable

I have the same one as you! It will get dusty from the top though and once the electricity goes, be prepared to deal with a noise of something like a Delta. Its pretty good and kicked in the 2-3 times the electricity went in my area.

I'm using it for a somewhat similar configuration as yours, except the GPUs are 2x 670s. I ditched the PowerChute software as I felt it looked terrible and instead opted to use the Windows Battery notification which detects the battery and displays the drivers to display how much of a charge it holds, although it will not mention when did the UPS kick in. For me, it lasts a significanly lower amount of time, but I'm guessing its because I'm driving one screen of it too, I mean, if the electricity goes, I will need a screen to turn it off, right? One thing I noticed after getting the UPS was that I was getting a continuous current when upgrading anything inside my computer which is a bit annoying. Although using nitrile gloves solves the problem, its still an issue.

Nevertheless, I do recommend going for it as its a pretty solid piece of hardware. You will also get a QC sheet that verified the UPS is working and tested with the packaging which is signed by a tester. This will be cello-taped to the side of the UPS. Thats a pretty nice touch if you ask me

Edit- Oops, I don't have the extended battery. I guess that explains why mine lasts far lesser
JsDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-13   #10
Community Moderator

that's cool man 78 watts is very low and you will get lot of Backup time.
you can see my signature for my config. i have BE700Y and i get backup of 30 Mins at 125 load and when GPU and CPU and also the M/b is used Completely the Watts Drawn shown is 275 Watts so the backup is Nearly 5-8 Mins

@JsDart can you tell me how much power does your 2x 670 draw in Powerchute. and how much backup do you get when the system is idell and how many watts does it consume and same thing on full load
Old 13-09-13   #11
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

JsDart is Notable

Originally Posted by johnjoyjoe View Post
@JsDart can you tell me how much power does your 2x 670 draw in Powerchute. and how much backup do you get when the system is idell and how many watts does it consume and same thing on full load
Sure! The UPS can give that information though without the need for the software. On idle, it can last 50 minutes while consuming 113 W [I have a screen attached too. Its an Acer S221HQL] and while gaming [BF3 with V-sync off], it draws 450W and can last 16 minutes.
JsDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-13   #12
teh nuB!
[E]onian

Giraffe is very Notable

Originally Posted by JsDart View Post
I have the same one as you! It will get dusty from the top though and once the electricity goes, be prepared to deal with a noise of something like a Delta. Its pretty good and kicked in the 2-3 times the electricity went in my area.

I'm using it for a somewhat similar configuration as yours, except the GPUs are 2x 670s. I ditched the PowerChute software as I felt it looked terrible and instead opted to use the Windows Battery notification which detects the battery and displays the drivers to display how much of a charge it holds, although it will not mention when did the UPS kick in. For me, it lasts a significanly lower amount of time, but I'm guessing its because I'm driving one screen of it too, I mean, if the electricity goes, I will need a screen to turn it off, right? One thing I noticed after getting the UPS was that I was getting a continuous current when upgrading anything inside my computer which is a bit annoying. Although using nitrile gloves solves the problem, its still an issue.

Nevertheless, I do recommend going for it as its a pretty solid piece of hardware. You will also get a QC sheet that verified the UPS is working and tested with the packaging which is signed by a tester. This will be cello-taped to the side of the UPS. Thats a pretty nice touch if you ask me

Edit- Oops, I don't have the extended battery. I guess that explains why mine lasts far lesser
Yes, forgot to mention about that sound of fan. Only few days later I realized when light went off that there is fan inside the UPS too that kicks in when power goes off or when its recharging. Can be a little bit annoying in a very silent room, but otherwise not bothersome.....

Without extended battery it gives estimated backup time of about 55-59 minutes.
With battery pack, its 240+ minutes.

---------- Post added at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

Originally Posted by JsDart View Post
Sure! The UPS can give that information though without the need for the software. On idle, it can last 50 minutes while consuming 113 W [I have a screen attached too. Its an Acer S221HQL] and while gaming [BF3 with V-sync off], it draws 450W and can last 16 minutes.
Yes true, when the UPS switches to battery power, the LCD display on the front (see pic above), shows time remaining in minutes instead of the voltage.
No need for the chute software for it.
Old 18-09-13   #13
teh geeK!
[E]onian

Timon is highly AdmirableTimon is highly AdmirableTimon is highly AdmirableTimon is highly AdmirableTimon is highly Admirable

Hey.. @Giraffe...Thanks for sharing...Awesome work done.......Keep it up mate.......
COOLER MASTER MASTERBOX MB520 RGB| MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI AMD| AMD Ryzen 5 3500 3rd Gen | BenQ XL2420Z 24 inch 1080P Zero Flicker Gaming| ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2070 AMP Extreme| | G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200MHz 16 GB| Corsair TX-M Series TX850M 850 Watt| Altec Lensing VS4121 2.1| HyperX Cloud Stinger Gaming Headset| WD2x2TB, 2x500GB Caviar Green,SAMSUNG 860 EVO 2.5 inch 500GB SATA| Portable 4TB, 1TB, 2x500GB Seagate 3.0| | APC Back-UPS RS 1.1KVA 230V| ASUS Cerberus Keyboard, SteelSeries Rival 600 Gaming Mouse| Samsung 22X SATA DVD Writer, Sony 24X Sata DVD Writer|Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240R RGB Liquid CPU Cooler
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply