Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Software Zone > Tip and Tricks :)
Register Forgot Password?

Old 13-05-09   #1
Most Valued [E]onian
Most Valued [E]onian
-

Rig Gallery
A few more tricks with your Dell 2209WA

The Dell 2209WA is a mind blowing monitor., I'll say it again.

I rediscovered some more nice things about this today while I was browsing.

1. The monitor can easily do 75Hz at native resolution (1680 x1050) !
So those wanting a higher refresh monitor need not worry.
People have even reportedly run on higher refresh rates using third party apps like PowerStrip. So gamers who were worried about using vsync for running without tearing can worry a bit less
Just make sure your graphic card drivers are installed and you untick hidden modes in the monitor settings

2. It can support component input!!
Credit:http://www.hardforum.com/member.php?u=103394 @ [H]
Originally Posted by ToastyX
Another interesting feature...

Did you know this monitor has component inputs? Well, not directly, but this monitor has a YPbPr option, which means it can support component signals via the VGA port with a simple adapter. This allows you to connect a component device like the Wii or a PlayStation 2 without needing a transcoder. This is something most monitors can't do.

You'll need a VGA to component cable and a component coupler, which you can get for under $5 (₨ 250) shipped at MonoPrice.

You'll need to set the color format in the menu: Color Settings > Input Color Format > YPbPr

I tested all the resolutions with a PlayStation 3. 480i/480p/720p/1080i/1080p are all supported with 1.5% overscan, but I had a little trouble with 1080p. Sometimes if something bright is being displayed, the monitor will blank out. That only happens with 1080p. Also, if you switch inputs while something bright is being displayed, it will either display "No VGA Cable" or stay blank when you switch back. That happens with every resolution except 480i/480p. I tested two of these monitors, and they both had the same problems consistently under the same circumstances. This is only with component.

The colors are a bit dark at lower resolutions, but the quality is good otherwise. 16:9 resolutions are stretched due to the aspect ratio, but this monitor has a 4:3 option that can be used for older consoles and 4:3 games.

Mega Man 9 at 480p over component with the 4:3 option:

I also tested DVI/HDMI. 480p/720p/1080p are all supported without overscan, and 1080i is supported with 1.5% overscan. The colors are full range RGB, and I didn't see any problems with image quality other than 16:9 resolutions being stretched due to the aspect ratio. The only problem I encountered was once while switching resolutions, the screen filled with green fuzz, but turning the monitor off and back on resolved that. I don't know how often that happens since I wasn't able to reproduce it.

Overscan test image at 1080p over DVI/HDMI:

Super Stardust HD at 1080p over DVI/HDMI:

2. Makes a good gaming monitor don't you think. And according to reports the input lag is even lesser than previously anticipated. Infact, its the same as TN panels
Credit:http://www.hardforum.com/member.php?u=103394 @ [H]
Originally Posted by ToastyX
I have some interesting lag results.

First, I tested the Dell 2209WA against the DoubleSight DS-263N using a DVI splitter. I was surprised to see that the Dell was actually slightly ahead!

Here the top number is coming in on the Dell (left) but hasn't shown up on the DoubleSight (right):

Here the bottom number is coming in on the Dell but is just barely showing on the DoubleSight:

After seeing that, I tested the Dell 2209WA against a CRT using a VGA splitter.

Here the CRT has just drawn the top number, and you can see the 90 just coming in on the Dell:

Here the CRT has just drawn the bottom number, and you can see the 77 just coming in on the Dell:

The Dell basically has no lag other than the pixel response time. I have never seen results like this before.

Also, while I had the Dell and the DoubleSight connected via the DVI splitter, I tested higher refresh rates by taking some pictures with a low shutter speed while moving the mouse around.

Dell 2209WA at 76 Hz:

DoubleSight DS-263N at 76 Hz:

As you can see, the DoubleSight skips every 5th frame, then every 4th frame, then every 5th frame, and so on.

The Dell doesn't skip frames at higher refresh rates.

This is the most responsive non-TN monitor I've ever seen:
  • No lag other than the pixel response time
  • 76 Hz at the native resolution without skipping frames
  • Good response times due to the well-tuned overdrive, especially at higher refresh rates

I was not expecting this kind of performance. The Dell at 76 Hz beats any TN monitor at 60 Hz. I see no reason to get a 22" TN monitor unless you want one of those 120 Hz TN monitors.
4. Not exactly a 2209WA only tweak but if you have calibrated your monitor, why not use FF3 with the built in color management plugin.
The feature is disabled by defaut bcoz most people don't need it but web designers may like to know.
To enable it set gfx.color_management.enabled to true (via about:config) and restart Firefox.
If your monitor is not calibrated correctly or you have not calibrated it, you'll see a significant difference (I didn't notice any)

Last edited by Free Radical; 13-05-09 at 06:11 PM.
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-09   #2
teh Paint Whisperer!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Whispering to my i20

sohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Great
Re: A few more tricks with your Dell 2209WA

Whoa! i didn't know u could fiddle around with a monitor that much!!
a true enthusiast, i must say!
Originally Posted by Chief-Techie View Post
Karan was in his Fantasy World Dreaming Adi Wearing a Red Dress & then Sending a Red Hot Msg

sohail99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-09   #3
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

Excellent coverage of the monitor there FR, I cant seem to comprehend the effort you must have put in regarding this.
Will rep you after distributing some reps to others.
Now I want a detailed on Powersupply and the works as we were talking the other day...

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-09   #4
Most Valued [E]onian
Most Valued [E]onian
-

Rig Gallery

Free Radical is extemely Distinguished
Free Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely Distinguished

Only when I have the money to purchase one
Like the 2209WA, I have my eyes set on the Corsair VX550 (I can't afford the TX750/HX620 else they are a better choice)
Old 13-05-09   #5
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

^^ we are all in the same boat viz a viz regards to cash that is..lol
BTW I have set my BenQ to run at 75 hertz also and the max supported refresh rate is 85 there.
It is running butter, smooth and smexy.

Max 85 hertz.

Will test it at 85 hertz after I restart my pc after a power cutoff as I dont restart normally, with so many programs running.

Last edited by ManISinJpr; 13-05-09 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Added Pictures.
Old 13-05-09   #6
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
trolling around

baba doga is Notable

@FR: Repped ya right when you posted it..
baba doga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-09   #7
Most Valued [E]onian
Most Valued [E]onian
-

Rig Gallery

Free Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely Distinguished

thanks man!
Old 13-05-09   #8
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

See the above post I have posted images...
Old 13-05-09   #9
Most Valued [E]onian
Most Valued [E]onian
-

Rig Gallery

yep. noticed. Refresh rates are easy with TNs and 120Hz TNs are soon coming. But when you do that on an IPS, it is news
Old 13-05-09   #10
teh geeK!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

prajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famed

awesome find FR repped ya

---------------------------------------------------------
Home : Core i5 3470, Z77, 4x4 GB Corsair Vengeance, Corsair 400R
Travel & Work : Dell Latitude E6320

prajith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-09   #11
Semper foo
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Ignorance is Bliss

SignOps is extremely Renowned
SignOps is extremely RenownedSignOps is extremely RenownedSignOps is extremely Renowned

Great Job dude ! I was worried about the 75hz refresh rate. Lemme install Powerstrip.

SignOps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-09   #12
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

But still you brought it into my notice, so Thank you for it.

Originally Posted by Free Radical View Post
yep. noticed. Refresh rates are easy with TNs and 120Hz TNs are soon coming. But when you do that on an IPS, it is news
Old 14-05-09   #13
teh geeK!
[E]onian

ɱɑɖɖʏ is Mysterious

Great Job FR...Repped
ɱɑɖɖʏ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-09   #14
teh geeK!
[E]onian

techster is highly Admirabletechster is highly Admirabletechster is highly Admirabletechster is highly Admirabletechster is highly Admirabletechster is highly Admirabletechster is highly Admirable

Wow, what an awesome find!

Makes me wanna take the final step and marry my monitor (it's already moved in with me in my apartment)

Reps due
E8400 @4GHz (Ultima 90) | Abit IP35-E | 4GB DDR2 @900MHz | Corsair TX650 | Zotac GTX 280 | Coolermaster CM 690 + 6 Fans | 1TB Caviar Green | 500GB+360GB Seagate | Razer Lachesis + Logitech MX518 + QcK Mini | Altec Lansing MX5021 + X-Fi XtremeMusic | Dell 2209WA 22" eIPS

Mirror's Edge (PC) Review

Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA Review
techster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-09   #15
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
is demotivated to do
absolutely anything!

BLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly Famed

^^Depends on the muhurat actually, with no kundli of it's own, it is quite difficult...

http://speedtest.10fastfingers.com/b...m_score_CK.png
Visit the Typing Test and try!

BLuEBLOODED is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply