Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Articles > Reviews & Previews
Register Forgot Password?
Follow Erodov on Twitter Follow Us
Join us on FaceBook Join Us
Post New Article  Comment

Article Tools Search this Article
The Estranged Indian Gamer
The Estranged Indian Gamer
A look at the Indian Gaming Scene
Date: 26-03-09
Topic: Reviews & Previews
Author: Aman "Cyn1c" Parmar

Index
What we really need 
The Infamous Six

The 6 major factors

1. The Great Divide: There is/are no centralized body/bodies in India that organize(s) gaming events. These events are still resting on the shoulders of the handful scattered few who’ve refused to give up. However, each state or City is concerned with its own jig and is indifferent towards each other’s resource requirements. Despite knowing the fact that the gamers in India are on their own, they do not back each other up. This has something to do both with inflated egos as well as lack of understanding of the underlying paradigm that we cannot survive without each other’s help. The gamers are not united and have petty differences that plague the overall scene. No attempt has ever been made to bridge the gap. The gamers in smaller cities are dying for recognition and it hurts to see that they are eventually giving up on their dreams.

2. Gaming = Business:
Gaming Cafe's have been sprawling all over India and have been quite instrumental in introducing the casual gamer to a competitive environment. However, no initiatives to coordinate zonal tournaments have come up from their side despite having the means (hardware and games) to do so. They have become mere money minting businesses which care about nothing but ROI.

3. Sponsors:
Since those who have the means to make things happen are not backing up the ones who’re willing to take the initiatives, we witness things like the ESWC 2008 fiasco. A winning team gets some certificates and some prizes and the sponsors consider that to be it. Asia Pacific is a huge gaming market and is home to some of the most elite clans in each game genre. Sponsors have failed to realize that exposure is one of the key elements in putting the Indian gamer somewhere on the global circuit. Maybe they do realize but turn a blind eye to it altogether.

4. Professional Standards:
Total mismanagement and chaos are something gamers have witnessed first-hand at numerous gaming tournaments. The potential of a professional crew that knows the tricks of the trade and has experience in organizing previous successful gaming events has not been tapped. Total schedule goof-ups, late starting tourneys and the likes are a huge turn off for those who travel all the way from another city/state to take part in a gaming event. This has to be the extreme case of roguish conduct one could ever be subjected to. WCG/ESWC rulebooks are treated more like optional formalities rather than a subject to be enforced religiously.

5. Greed:
Utopia is a thinly veiled nightmare. The gamers currently seem to be satisfied with making money alone which is nothing but a cheap and short stint. Little do they realize that they've surrendered their own growth in the process. They’re in most of the cases sell outs who’ve stooped to the level of rigging an already drought of a competition using their connections and having a tournament the way they want it rather than having it laid out fair and square. Shameful and a disgrace. Period. No wonder why most of the bigger events have always had controversial endings. Robbing a fellow gamer of his chances to make it big is nothing new to the scene. This perennial loop of winning money and going home with absolutely no will to come out with contributions has been a trend off late.

6. Media Coverage
: Most of the events held locally get little or no media coverage. Media is one of the most powerful means to reach the masses and make yourself heard. Sadly enough, little attention has been paid to this aspect.

Index
What we really need 

Tools
Add to Cyn1c's Karma
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
<<  <    Next Page: What we really need (Page 2 of 4)    >  >>
By Member_xyz 27-03-09
Re: The Estranged Indian Gamer

Yeah, I think gaming in India can be much improved.
By Kage 27-03-09

Very nice observations Cyn1c. I definitely agree, it's time to get people together and get them going on one game. Form an organisation to kick start this.
By initpidzero 27-03-09

Very well observed, i guess we can start right here on erodov, may be its already there, but i am not aware of it?
By rishimetawala 27-03-09

i think the vixture organized was the first break through in the Indian gaming scene, the other problem i have observed is that we don't have enough number of hardcore gamers in India, hence we never come under the spotlight of the sponsors, like in css we have just 1 major clan, tf2 has 3 major clans as compared to i dont know how many active clans in SG alone. u have to stop expecting too much from the Indian gaming scene and the sponsors with just 1-2 major clans in India and a handfull of serious gamers.
By rishimetawala 27-03-09

u can say.. more the number of clans and serious gamers, more the chances of big party's coming into the scene
By Aragorn 27-03-09

a well written article .. really nice observations ...
By wingzero 27-03-09

Nicely comprehended. Wise words and lucid article
By ɱɑɖɖʏ 29-03-09

A vry well written article n good observations my friend....
By Cyn1c 29-03-09

Originally Posted by rishimetawala View Post
i think the vixture organized was the first break through in the Indian gaming scene, the other problem i have observed is that we don't have enough number of hardcore gamers in India, hence we never come under the spotlight of the sponsors, like in css we have just 1 major clan, tf2 has 3 major clans as compared to i dont know how many active clans in SG alone. u have to stop expecting too much from the Indian gaming scene and the sponsors with just 1-2 major clans in India and a handfull of serious gamers.
There are a lot of good serious & hardcore gamers. The problem is that there is no awareness about the events to begin with. A handful who do know about the event decide not to take part in it simply because it is being held in another state. A lot of people did not attend vixture, but that does not mean they're not serious gamers!

If we do have just 1 major CSS clan and they're too good at what they do, I don't see any reason why a sponsor would shy away from putting their name and money behind them. Moreover, it's kinda speculative to say that we have just 1 major clan. There are plenty of gamers who've never played online and limit their game to LAN. They might be better than that 1 clan but as I said, the awareness is not there.
Post New Article  Comment
Please share with friends!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search