Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Electronics and Consumer Durables > Cameras and Photography Equipment
Register Forgot Password?

Old 01-04-14   #1
teh nuB!
Confused!!

Entry Level SLR Camera or a Good Point & Shoot Camera

Hi Everyone

I am Dr Kunvar Harsh Upveja from India . I am Amateur in the field of Photography but I am very much fascinated by photographs clicked with good depth of filed(blurred background pics) so I am looking for a SLR camera and at the same time have a very limited budget of Rs 25,000.
1. Either I am thinking of buying Sony Alpha A3000 (18-55 mm lens) DSLR- camera or any other suggestions of SLR which can fit in my pocket ?
2. Should I go for some good Point & shoot camera in this range rather than buying Entry level DSLR ?
3. How far does the body of camera matters in buying DSLR camera ? I mean if I want to upgrade this DSLR using other lenses. it would be possible with good efficiency or this Entry level will remain entry level only ?

Thank you in advance
Kunvar Harsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-14   #2
Patient_Zero
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Zombie Enthusiast

realandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly Admirable
Re: Entry Level SLR Camera or a Good Point & Shoot Camera

1. A3000 is not at all recommended at that budget!
You have so many great options, like the Nikon D3200 w/standard lens, comes under 25k, which blows the Sony; and then there's the much better Nikon D5100 along with lens just for 27k
So, you do have options for dSLRs.

2. P&S at that budget? Hell NO.

3. Every entry-level dSLRs like the D3200 support a wide range of lens at your disposal, if you wanna test around.

IMO you should go for Mirrorless over DSLRs.
Since you're new in this field (not that you can't learn), it would be better to go with a product that shares the same easiness you feel shooting with your P&S camera, and yet you get excellent shots like a dSLR (yes, mirrorless cams have come that far now!).
Not only shots, you get excellent video capture at FHD, that even an entry-level D3200 can't do.
And still much portable and there's interchangeable lens.

Like a mirrorless, like the Nikon 1 J1, which shoots photos and vids, better than entry-level dSLRs like Nikon D40/D60, that were released few years ago.

So, yeah. Mirrorless would be my suggestion for your requirements.
ayanavish likes this.
realandR3cys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-14   #3
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

I would suggest the Canon 600 D.
the best entry level camera (dslr) that will serve all your purposes..
ratheeshkannan likes this.

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-14   #4
teh nuB!
Confused!!

Kunvar Harsh is Mysterious

Originally Posted by realandR3cys View Post
1. A3000 is not at all recommended at that budget!
You have so many great options, like the Nikon D3200 w/standard lens, comes under 25k, which blows the Sony; and then there's the much better Nikon D5100 along with lens just for 27k
So, you do have options for dSLRs.

2. P&S at that budget? Hell NO.

3. Every entry-level dSLRs like the D3200 support a wide range of lens at your disposal, if you wanna test around.

IMO you should go for Mirrorless over DSLRs.
Since you're new in this field (not that you can't learn), it would be better to go with a product that shares the same easiness you feel shooting with your P&S camera, and yet you get excellent shots like a dSLR (yes, mirrorless cams have come that far now!).
Not only shots, you get excellent video capture at FHD, that even an entry-level D3200 can't do.
And still much portable and there's interchangeable lens.

Like a mirrorless, like the Nikon 1 J1, which shoots photos and vids, better than entry-level dSLRs like Nikon D40/D60, that were released few years ago.

So, yeah. Mirrorless would be my suggestion for your requirements.
Hi realand, thank you for your enthusiastic reply !. What all you have said was really fascinating to listen to, but I couldn`t find any online site giving this low(less than 25k) the price of Nikon D3200 (least price I could find out was Rs 29,543).

If you have any such source, can you please help me out in getting the same from there. (my email id is ***** Pm me for my email id)

Thank you

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

Originally Posted by ManISinJpr View Post
I would suggest the Canon 600 D.
the best entry level camera (dslr) that will serve all your purposes..
But Canon 600 D again is priced at around Rs 30,000 or so.

Last edited by ManISinJpr; 02-04-14 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Please don't mention email on a public thread.
Kunvar Harsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-14   #5
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

See when you want to start out on photography, then start with something that will get you the best results and will be there with you for some years..
A couple of thousand is no stoppage for such a camera..
Originally Posted by Kunvar Harsh View Post
But Canon 600 D again is priced at around Rs 30,000 or so.
Old 02-04-14   #6
Patient_Zero
Zombie Enthusiast

realandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly Admirable

Here you go :

J1 at 22K

D3200 at 25.7K

It's hilarious that the better D5100 costs cheaper than D3200.
Old 02-04-14   #7
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

^^ No no nono !! Nikon is no no !!
Canon.. is the choice..
Old 02-04-14   #8
The Game is On!
Community Moderator
"Derevaun Seraun"

csunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Great

Originally Posted by ManISinJpr ♦ View Post
^^ No no nono !! Nikon is no no !! Canon.. is the choice..
Why?
I think D5100 is a better choice.
Why spend 5000 more on canon 600D when you can get D5100 for 25K?
csunit37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-14   #9
Patient_Zero
Zombie Enthusiast

Canon.. is the choice..
Originally Posted by csunit37 View Post
Why spend 5000 more on canon 600D when you can get D5100 for 25K?
Indeed :]
I could then add another 4-5K with that saved 5K, get a Nikkor 50mm Prime lens, and get the most outta that D5100.
Old 02-04-14   #10
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
- binned -

ayanavish is Notable

Canon.. is the choice..
What's wrong with Nikon :O

D5100 is an excellent choice. Like what @realandR3cys said, you can give a shot at mirrorless cameras too. If you are in Bangalore, try Jayesh Mehta / Foto circle for all your photography needs. He provides very good rates.

Ideally before your buying decision, go to the nearest camera shop have a feel of the model(s), check what suits your style, grip, etc, and then buy from the place from where you get the best quote.
ayanavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-14   #11
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.

mindpeace is Mysterious

hi a suggestion from a newbie...migrated to D-SLR, few facts to consider
1.Photography is a expensive hobby n need both time and money (if u wish to invest in gears more on this in point 2)
2. DSLR is for creative freedom , n for that ur basics need to be very strong (seems to be little short from OPs post - no offence). and in this creative freedom there is no lense or camera which will do all, if there is any lense close to do all costs in excess of Rs.2 lac
3. Nikon or Canon doesn't matter unless u r clear abt ur future investments , and 25k is too less
4. good photography needs more gears than just camera n lense, factor in that cost because if u dont have what encourages to persue photography as a hobby it will die much faster than it came to life.
just food for thought
for me cost of this experiance : rs.1.75 lac in last 16 months still not even half way of my desired setup...

mindpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-14   #12
teh priesT!
[E]onian

MadDog is highly ReputableMadDog is highly ReputableMadDog is highly ReputableMadDog is highly Reputable

FYI, get a 50mm prime lens for "blurred background" photos.
When i got DSLR(for a friend), the shopkeeper accepted to replace the default lens(and some extra cash) with 50mm prime lens .

However, you cannot zoom with these lens and also cannot use these to take pics of a gathering inside closed room. But quality of shots are realy good.
Old 08-04-14   #13
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
- binned -

ayanavish is Notable

When do you use prime lenses / Best situation to use prime lenses - during an event. - Tangents forum
ayanavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-14   #14
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

adder is highly Prominentadder is highly Prominentadder is highly Prominent

When you a buying a DSLR basically you are getting into a system. Once you buy more lenses you are basically stuck with that system.

IMO,you should strongly consider mirrorless cameras

If you shoot videos or happen to use LCD for composing the picture ,then mirrorless cameras are much better .Since they have silent AF and much faster AF when in live view or when shooting videos(barring the Sony SLTs and canon 70D but are noisy )

The other advantage of mirrorless cameras is that you can virtually mount any make lens in them via adaptors (although many lenses will not do AF or aperture control).So you are not stuck with a system.With some adapters like Metabones you can make canon lenses Faster when mounted on E-mount cameras+ you get aperture control but so so AF.With a Sony adaptor you can mount some really good A-mount Zeiss glass,sigma art lenses and still get Full speed PDAF and aperture control.

The A3000 is a mirrorless camera, while it takes great images thanks to its sensor.It does have some drawbacks considering one can get it for $250 in the US ,it has a really low resolution EVF ,kind like the ones you find in some ultra zoom cameras and rather not so good build quality.It also cannot track while doing AF,atleast not as good as the cameras with PDAF.

But if your budget is strictly 25k then the D3200, D5100 looks like really good choice.
Old 13-04-14   #15
Patient_Zero
Zombie Enthusiast

Originally Posted by adder View Post
The A3000 is a mirrorless camera, while it takes great images thanks to its sensor.It does have some drawbacks considering one can get it for $250 in the US ,it has a really low resolution EVF ,kind like the ones you find in some ultra zoom cameras and rather not so good build quality.It also cannot track while doing AF,atleast not as good as the cameras with PDAF.
All that .. And the main drawback (that you didn't mentioned) is that the A3000 dosen't let you shoot images just seperately in RAW.
That's like a huge flaw.

Even the Nikon 1 J1 let's you do that. Also the J1 beats the A3K in clicking less grainy (noise) pictures.
Post New Thread  Reply