Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Electronics and Consumer Durables > Tablet Computers
Register Forgot Password?

Old 25-10-12   #1
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery
Early Reviews - Thumbs Down to Microsoft Surface

Microsoft gave a few samples of its coming tablet-laptop hybrid for reviewing. Such samples given in advance are usually given with a understanding of a favourable review. However the reviews are not totally positive about the Surface. Check them out.

Microsoft Surface gets the thumbs down in early reviews | Technology | guardian.co.uk

The New York Times - Surface Review - Sleek Tablet, but Clumsy Software
Originally Posted by The New York Times
How would you like to move into a stunning mansion on a bluff overlooking the sea — in Somalia? Or would you like the chance to own a new Ferrari — that has to be refueled every three miles? Would you take a job that pays $1 million a year — cutting football fields with toenail clippers? That’s the sort of choice Microsoft is asking you to make with the spectacularly designed, wildly controversial Surface tablet.
the Surface is a brilliantly conceived machine whose hardware will take your breath away — but whose software will take away your patience

Microsoft Surface review | The Verge - Instead of being no-compromise, it often feels like more-compromise

Originally Posted by The Verge
The promise of the Surface was that it could deliver a best-in-class tablet experience, but then transform into the PC you needed when heavier lifting was required. Instead of putting down my tablet and picking up my laptop, I would just snap on my keyboard and get my work done. But that's not what the Surface offers, at least not in my experience. It does the job of a tablet and the job of a laptop half as well as other devices on the market, and it often makes that job harder, not easier. Instead of being a no-compromise device, it often feels like a more-compromise one.

There may be a time in the future when all the bugs have been fixed, the third-party app support has arrived, and some very smart engineers in Redmond have ironed out the physical kinks in this type of product which prevent it from being all that it can be. But that time isn't right now — and unfortunately for Microsoft, the clock is ticking.
Microsoft Surface RT Review: This Is Technological Heartbreak
Originally Posted by Gizmodo
Should you buy it? : No. The Surface, with an obligatory Touch Cover, is $600. That's a lot of money. Especially given that it's no laptop replacement, no matter how it looks or what Microsoft says. It's a tablet-plus, priced right alongside the iPad and in most ways inferior.
Microsoft Surface review: The PC of the future needs more apps - CNN.com
Originally Posted by CNN
Who should consider buying a Surface with Windows RT? Not anyone who wants the most fully fleshed-out tablet experience right now — for that, the iPad still has no rival.
vijayninel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-12   #2
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Vescere bracis meis.

fleshfragger is highly Famedfleshfragger is highly Famedfleshfragger is highly Famedfleshfragger is highly Famedfleshfragger is highly Famedfleshfragger is highly Famedfleshfragger is highly Famedfleshfragger is highly Famed
Re: Early Reviews - Thumbs Down to Microsoft Surface

Well, haters gonna hate....

If you're ok being an early adopter, and ok dealing with the fact that mobile devices are still being significantly revved every year, Surface is worth your consideration. If you've wanted a tablet that could begin to bridge the content consumption and productivity divide, Surface is it.
Source:-http://www.anandtech.com/show/6385/microsoft-surface-review

Surface is a slate upon which you can get some serious work done, and do so comfortably. You can't always say that of the competition.
If you're looking for an impeccably engineered tablet upon which you can do some serious work, a device that doesn't look, feel or act like a toy, then you should get yourself a Surface with Windows RT.
Source:-engadget.com

Surface RT is packed with productivity potential, and finds a certain measure of success in reinventing the tablet form factor.

Overall:-4/5
Source:- Technology reviews, advice, videos, news and forums - PC Advisor
ManISinJpr likes this.
fleshfragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-12   #3
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

The reviews that you have quoted are the choicest selected ones which have not understood what this Windows 8 is all about, I have many reviews that have given a thumbs up to surface just like some which @fleshfragger has mentioned

Microsoft Surface with Windows RT review -- Engadget

AnandTech.com - Microsoft Surface Review

Asus Vivo Tab RT Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Dell XPS 12 Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Microsoft Surface with Windows RT Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Last edited by vijayninel; 25-10-12 at 10:48 AM.
ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-12   #4
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Why are you giving us Asus Vivo and Dell XPS reviews here Manish? I was talking about the Surface reviews which Microsoft is touting to be an all in one iPad killer. Generally we expect very positive reviews when such early samples are given to the media so I do expect some reviewers will be fawning over it.

However if you read finely then there are some hints of how the device really performs. For instance there is universal acceptance that the Appstore hardly has any apps on it. If I can take out another minor point. - Almost everybody either chose to ignore the camera performance. Those who dared to write about it weren't so cheerful.

Originally Posted by Engadget
The Surface has dual 720p cameras, but unless you're in the mood for video chatting, you probably won't be using them much. Even by tablet standards, the image quality here is pretty poor. Our full-res, 1,280 x 720 shots look awfully pixelated, even in brightly lit environments that shouldn't have yielded any noise.
Originally Posted by Anandtech
Surface features two 720p cameras, one on the front and one on the back. Neither camera provides particularly great image quality but they are sufficient for web use.
Old 25-10-12   #5
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Vescere bracis meis.

fleshfragger is highly Famedfleshfragger is highly Famedfleshfragger is highly Famedfleshfragger is highly Famedfleshfragger is highly Famedfleshfragger is highly Famedfleshfragger is highly Famedfleshfragger is highly Famed

Well....sans the camera, I dont see any deal breaking flaws in the contraption. Its an initial build, hence the app store is empty. I am sure, MS will come up with innovative and intuitive apps in due time.
Old 25-10-12   #6
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

LOLz.. I knew that you would miss all the points and only share the smallest points that are a little negative ( you forgot about your views on Nokia with stellar cameras haan..? you said that a camera is useless in such a device )

well for all the members I would share the exact points posted on Anandtech
read those and see how good the surface is !!
Surface is the most flexible tablet I’ve ever used. Through two seemingly simple additions to the design (but incredibly complex to actually develop and implement), Microsoft took a tablet and turned it into something much more. If you’re frustrated by productivity limits of currently available tablets, Surface really seems to be the right formula for a solution. It’s important to note that Microsoft’s execution with Surface establishes the company as a competitive powerhouse in the mobile design market. I can only imagine what multiple revs of the design will give us, not to mention what could happen if Microsoft set its obsessive sights on smartphones or notebooks.
The Windows RT experience, in many senses, is clearly ahead of what many competitors offer in the tablet space today. Multitasking, task switching and the ability to have multiple applications active on the screen at once are all big advantages that Microsoft enjoys. For productivity workloads, Surface is without equal in the tablet space.
Content consumption is also great on the device. Surface’s display isn’t industry leading but it’s still good. Reading emails, browsing the web flipping through photos and watching videos are all good fits for the platform – just as good as competing solutions from Apple or Google.
More impressive than the fact that Microsoft brought competitive parity to the Windows tablet usage model is the fact that power efficiency doesn’t seem to be an issue for Windows RT. Microsoft has built a mobile OS that is capable of, at least based on what we’ve seen today with Surface, being competitive with Android and iOS solutions when it comes to battery life. With lower power silicon inside, Microsoft could do even better.
I don’t believe Surface is perfect, but it’s a platform I can believe in. What I’m most excited about is to see what happens after a second or third rev of the design. I would have liked to have seen faster hardware inside (I’d love to see an Atom based version). There are also some rough edges that could use smoothing out (e.g. the power connector and HDMI output come to mind) and Windows RT likely needs another round of updates (app launch times are far too long, more apps needed) but overall the device is easily in recommendable territory. The biggest issue I have with recommending Surface today is that you know the next iteration of the device is likely going to be appreciably better, with faster/more efficient hardware and perhaps even a better chassis.
If you’re ok being an early adopter, and ok dealing with the fact that mobile devices are still being significantly revved every year, Surface is worth your consideration. If you’ve wanted a tablet that could begin to bridge the content consumption and productivity divide, Surface is it.
Originally Posted by vijayninel View Post
Why are you giving us Asus Vivo and Dell XPS reviews here Manish? I was talking about the Surface reviews which Microsoft is touting to be an all in one iPad killer. Generally we expect very positive reviews when such early samples are given to the media so I do expect some reviewers will be fawning over it.

However if you read finely then there are some hints of how the device really performs. For instance there is universal acceptance that the Appstore hardly has any apps on it. If I can take out another minor point. - Almost everybody either chose to ignore the camera performance. Those who dared to write about it weren't so cheerful.

Last edited by ManISinJpr; 25-10-12 at 12:54 PM.
Old 25-10-12   #7
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

I have never seen anyone use a tablet to take photos around so I agree that the camera is not a deal breaker. However overall as expected this is neither good as a tablet or as a laptop (you cant even balance it properly on your lap so its more of a desktop) and that is a deal breaker for such an expensive tablet.

The 16:9 res also makes it awkward for use as a tablet in both landscape and portrait as the verge reviewer said.
Old 25-10-12   #8
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Vescere bracis meis.

We can clearly see that the surface is superior to the ipad....and the price is almost the same.
ManISinJpr likes this.

Last edited by fleshfragger; 25-10-12 at 01:05 PM.
Old 25-10-12   #9
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

The verge reviewer is a certified apple fanboi ! so everybody knows it except you I think
as for anandtech, it is one of the most respected sites out there and youdidn't read those views, I mean come on Vijay sir he clearly writes and is willing to answer any doubts that a person might have regarding his review or the Surface tablet !!
just read this.
I ambolding the comments of his so you can read them again
Originally Posted by vijayninel View Post
I have never seen anyone use a tablet to take photos around so I agree that the camera is not a deal breaker. However overall as expected this is neither good as a tablet or as a laptop (you cant even balance it properly on your lap so its more of a desktop) and that is a deal breaker for such an expensive tablet.

The 16:9 res also makes it awkward for use as a tablet in both landscape and portrait as the verge reviewer said.
Old 25-10-12   #10
ਦਿਲ ਆਪਣਾ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ !!!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
I don't wanna set any status..

Rig Gallery

vasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Greatvasishta.sushant is simply Great

Manish and Vijay, why is it that every thread has be your battleground, in the name of healthy discussion ? More than talking about the topic, replies from both of you are targeted towards each other. Each one trying to belittle other's opinion. I think its happening at more than a few instances.
dexbg and Regranter Maradis like this.
Intel Core i5 3550s | Asus P8B75-V | GSkill 8GB DDR3 CL7 1333MHz | MSI 660Ti Power Edition | Wetern Digital Green 2TB | Intel 330 128GB SSD | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo | Corsair TX650V2 | CM Gladiator 600 | Logitech G500 | Steelseries QcK Mass | Logitech Z506 | Samsung 40EH5000 LED TV
vasishta.sushant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-12   #11
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Vescere bracis meis.

*re-post* sorry
Old 25-10-12   #12
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

Originally Posted by vasishta.sushant View Post
Manish and Vijay, why is it that every thread has be your battleground, in the name of healthy discussion ? More than talking about the topic, replies from both of you are targeted towards each other. Each one trying to belittle other's opinion. I think its happening at more than a few instances.
Sushant its not belittling to anyone at all. Manish and I have our differences and I respect his difference of opinion. We are very good friends otherwise. Now I cant be discussing things with myself can I? If Manish raises a point then I will respond to it if there is something to say. If we both agreed on everything then there would be nothing much to discuss. Unfortunately there are not many people here who actively take part in discussions here. They just browse the threads to see what we are discussing. You are welcome to take part and dont get so upset at minor things.
Old 25-10-12   #13
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
Puny human

dexbg is extremely Renowned
dexbg is extremely Renowneddexbg is extremely Renowned

Surface 1 will suck .. wait for Surface 2 or Surface 3 ..

"I was there .. till the end"
dexbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-12   #14
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

Listen to the Audio

Apple CEO Tim Cook : Surface appears to be 'a fairly compromised, confusing product'

Originally Posted by Tim Cook
I suppose you could design a car that flies and floats, but I don't think it would do all of those things very well.
Old 26-10-12   #15
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Vescere bracis meis.

Post New Thread  Reply