Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > Storage Solutions
Register Forgot Password?

Old 17-09-07   #1
A Guru
[E] Guru
I havent set my status yet.

DVDRWs : - My BIG ONES! SATA

Hi
For those of you considering a new DVDRW.
This is a list of what & why, should be there.
#1 : - The Samsung SH-S203B. This SATA offering is possibly the best drive on the market at present.
It has speed, along with quality.
For : - Speed & quality of burns with CDRs, DVDs both SL & DL. Typically of MediaTek chip based drives, favours + media marginally. DVD-/+RWs is OK too. But not earth shattering.
Against : - Media support could be improved, bitsetting included in f/w as default. Scanning. N.B. With reg hacking this drive will scan, but lacks jitter reporting.(If sole drive then this scan along with TRT (TransferRateTest) should be adequate.
#2 : - LG GSA-H62N. This drive while quoting 18x max. Is only just a tad slower than the Samsung. So despite the 18x tag, this drive offers speed + quality (personally I feel the Samsung edges it here, on both counts).
For : - Speed & quality with DVDs, both SL & DL. This drive has a more definate preference for + media. Media support is quite good, but as with anything we always want more.
Against : - Quality of burns with DVDRWs & CDRs is below what you might expect from this quality of drive. Scanning in any form just not on. Again TRT can help, if only in a somewhat limited way.
#3 : - Pioneer DVR-212D. This drive while in some respects laggin behind the other two. Has one main thing going for it. Quality of burns not only with SL & RWs. But it's consistant performance with DL (ideal for backing up games). Put this in the frame.
For : - Versatility with much media (including budget) to burn to a good standard of quality. This applies to all formats whether DVD or CDR.
Against : - Somewhat a bit of a plodder when put alongside the above drives. Scanning also a bit unreliable too. Although the latest Pioneers will scan with limited & mixed results.
All of the above drives will not disappoint. Though one may suit your needs more than the others.
SATA drives are definately the way ahead.
In fact it probably won't be that far off before there isn't a choice.
Obmission!
Some would expect to see a Lite-On here.
Unless wishing to scan & possibly join in with some forums. Then the latest offerings of Lite-On fail to shine*.
Failures @ max speed or 'coasters' can be commonplace. So 8x <> 12x is probably for the best. These speeds are fairly common amongst the 'experienced' user.
Even with scanning they fail to complete jitter tests with DL. In fact slow the scanning speed down enough & they can fail to get past the layer break even with the basic disc quality setting.
So that leaves SL, with scanning better @ 4x (this avoids 'invisible peaks' being reported due to spin up etc).
As for CDR scanning Lite-On just doesn't. Well it does but results here are next to meaningless.
So if you really want to scan across the board. Get a Genuine BenQ (1620 <> 1650[55]) if possible.These drives are amazing for their day & still stand up to a lot of the competition. Not SATA though so not one of the hot ones.
* Updates with f/w have improved these drives, but still a way to go.
Mav3ricK likes this.
Old 17-09-07   #2
A Guru
[E] Guru

zebadee is highly Reputablezebadee is highly Reputablezebadee is highly Reputablezebadee is highly Reputable
Re: DVDRWs : - My BIG ONES! SATA

Hi
An addition to the above.
All drives mentioned in previous post will or can be bitset. :goodnews:
Either through s/w or patched f/w.
This is increasingly less important.
But in cases where it helps it is invaluble.
zebadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-07   #3
⎝ᄽ⏝⏠⎠
Community Coordinator
Procreating =8)~

hawk is extremely Renowned
hawk is extremely Renownedhawk is extremely Renownedhawk is extremely Renowned

WHAT NO ASUS DRW-1814BLT ???

I chose this over the samsung & LG...n its also got LS

Last edited by hawk; 17-09-07 at 06:38 AM.
hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-07   #4
Certified Insane
[E]onian

The Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scale
The Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scaleThe Sorcerer is off the scale

You forgot sony too
The Sorcerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-07   #5
teh zeuS!
[E]onian

Chief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly Admirable

Nice Work zebadee
Chief-Techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-07   #6
iEvangelist
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
GET PEBBLE.

Rig Gallery

Ad1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply Great

Hows the Sony AWG170S in your books?
Misc : Playstation 3, Xbox 360, iPhone 5, Nexus 4, iPad (3rd gen) 32GB.
Ad1tya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-07   #7
A Guru
[E] Guru

zebadee is highly Reputablezebadee is highly Reputablezebadee is highly Reputablezebadee is highly Reputable

Hi
Sorry folks, but everyone has their favourites.
These were mine.
BTW the Sony is based on the NEC chip found the NEC Optiarc 717* series. As is the Pioneer. The Asus is Pioneer based, so in a roundabout way based on the same NEC chip.
So all good people.
N.B.The Pioneer uses a different board (this can be found in the Asus).
Old 17-09-07   #8
teh nuB!
[E]onian

Raghunandan is highly AdmirableRaghunandan is highly AdmirableRaghunandan is highly AdmirableRaghunandan is highly AdmirableRaghunandan is highly AdmirableRaghunandan is highly Admirable

How accurate are the scans on the new Sony-NECs? And they are also flashable to the Labelflash drives. They are quite cheap at Rs1350 too

Raghu.
Raghunandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-07   #9
teh priesT!
[E]onian
iServicing

Ank1t is highly AdmirableAnk1t is highly AdmirableAnk1t is highly AdmirableAnk1t is highly AdmirableAnk1t is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by Raghunandan View Post
How accurate are the scans on the new Sony-NECs? And they are also flashable to the Labelflash drives. They are quite cheap at Rs1350 too

Raghu.
Sony at that price? When i went to SP a few days ago, the samsung was selling at that price. Sony was ~500 more

Originally Posted by zebadee View Post
Hi
#1 : - The Samsung SH-S203B. This SATA offering is possibly the best drive on the market at present.
It has speed, along with quality.
For : - Speed & quality of burns with CDRs, DVDs both SL & DL. Typically of MediaTek chip based drives, favours + media marginally. DVD-/+RWs is OK too. But not earth shattering.
Against : - Media support could be improved, bitsetting included in f/w as default. Scanning. N.B. With reg hacking this drive will scan, but lacks jitter reporting.(If sole drive then this scan along with TRT (TransferRateTest) should be adequate.
How?

And im glad i bought this drive
E6400 | Asus P5B Dlx WiFi| Sapphire X1950XT | | Transcend 1024X2MB 667Mhz | Arctic Freezer Pro | Rosewill RP-500 | Seagate 320GB+250GB 7200.10 | Creative Inspire M2600 | Samsung SH-S203 | Zebronics Peace | APC 650VA | Logitech Navigator KB | Gigabyte M6800
Asus 1005HA | iPhone 4 | Blackberry Bold 3 | Panasonic FZ18 | Moster Dr. Dre Beats Tour | Canon Rebel 450D /w Sigma 18-200mm & Canon 50mm Prime
Ank1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-07   #10
A Guru
[E] Guru

Hi
OK, a bit more info. The NEC Optiarc 7170 is the same (identical) drive as the Sony AWG170S. They are even made in the same place. They can be crossflashed etc.
However the LF thing may be changing as the latest Sony/NEC Optiarc is actually a Lite-On 20x.http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.aspx?sku=339191
Note LightScribe, not LabelFlash!
N.B. Lite-On - 'BenQ' drives that are non LS can be crossflashed to the LS model as far as the f/w goes. But the drives will not be LS capable as the hardware part for this. Is not present.
So the NEC 7170 <> Sony 170. Same drive. Only the faceplate & firmware are different.
The Pioneer 212 & the Asus usually have the same NEC chip, but mounted on a Pioneer based board. So the drives are the same. Again only difference. Faceplates Firmware. (The ASUS DRW-1814BLT uses the same MediaTek chip found in Lite-On 20x models).
So why did I pick the Pioneer. It is better constructed than the Sony/Nec. Board - circuitry etc. More dealers stock these drives in terms of my location. More/better f/w. The last bit f/w is why the Asus wasn't picked.
The Asus & Pioneer (even when using same board/chip) have a different 'bootcode'. So cannot become Sony/NEC & vice versa.
The brand Buffalo (not available in the UK) is also a 'Pioneer'. Buffalo f/w is popular with Pioneer users as it has automatic bitsetting.
You can get patched f/w for the NEC's to enable bitsetting too.

N.B. A lot of drives that are badged Sony or NEC. Are now made by Lite-On.
Originally this deal by NEC & Lite-On, was to be the 'budget ' drives, not the Optiarc range.
This latest NEC means that even the Optiarc range, or some of it at least. Will also be produced by Lite-On.

Last edited by zebadee; 22-09-07 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Correcting error regarding the 'ASUS DRW-1814BLT'
Old 17-09-07   #11
A Guru
[E] Guru

Hi
Reg hack;
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ahead\Nero Toolkit\CD Speed\CD Quality]
"Blocked"="SAMSUNG,TSST,HL-DT-ST,PLEXTOR"

Right click on Blocked & go to edit.
Remove SAMSUNG and TSST.

In case some of you don't know how to get to the registry. In 'Run' box with Windows pre Vista type " regedit" Without the "" & press enter.
In Vista the search box just above the Start button. Same method.

Last edited by zebadee; 17-09-07 at 10:13 PM.
Old 17-09-07   #12
teh zeuS!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
..I..

Rig Gallery

Dark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly FamedDark Star is highly Famed

Nice work.. But Sir do some formatting before posting large text

Dark Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-07   #13
teh zeuS!
[E]onian

Chief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly Admirable

^^^ kool Work zebadee
Chief-Techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-07   #14
A Guru
[E] Guru

Originally Posted by Raghunandan View Post

Raghu.
Hi
On scanning, basically don't. They produce a wide array of results most very poor. Fortunately not very accurate either.
The crossflashing for LF, I sort of answered in the other post.
Yes you can currently, but this may not be the situation in the future.
See here for info etc.
www.micheldeboer.nl/firmware/
Under Firmware Utilities.

Last edited by zebadee; 17-09-07 at 10:23 PM.
Old 18-09-07   #15
teh nuB!
[E]onian

Raghunandan is highly AdmirableRaghunandan is highly AdmirableRaghunandan is highly AdmirableRaghunandan is highly AdmirableRaghunandan is highly AdmirableRaghunandan is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by Ank1t View Post
Sony at that price? When i went to SP a few days ago, the samsung was selling at that price. Sony was ~500 more
Yeah, sorry. I checked the prices today and they are charging Rs1600 for the Sony G170S (OEM drive) The Samsung is selling at Rs1300 though, and Im very confused. Im sure the Sony is overpriced by the dealers for some silly reason. Im still looking to get the Sony-NEC drive due to labelflash and past good experience with NEC.

Its sad that NEC is now producing LS drives too. Wish Fuji has pushed LF a little more and not restricted it to just the EU, Japanese markets.

Thanks a lot Zebadee. Nice site

Raghu.

Last edited by Raghunandan; 18-09-07 at 02:46 AM.
Raghunandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply