Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Electronics and Consumer Durables > Cameras and Photography Equipment
Register Forgot Password?

Old 01-10-07   #16
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

Re: which DSLR?

Originally Posted by AK3D View Post
Get the 350D with a sigma 18-125 - You'll cover the range you need, and can go in for a tele later.
The sigma is a crap lens... not worth the money. Get the kit lens or if you can afford a Tokina 19-35. Also make sure you get a 50mm prime f/1.8. Best bang for the buck lens. About the body, 350D no doubt.
Q6600 @ 3700 Mhz 24X7 with U120e on Abit IP35-E | 2X1GB Gskill HZ + 2X1 GB Transcend Jetram 667 @ 411 Mhz 4-4-4-12 2.2V | eVGA 8800GTS 320 SC @ 600/1900 | Benq DW 1650 DVD-RW | Seagate 500GB + 320GB Barracuda 7200.10 | Dell E228WFP 22" LCD | Sennheiser HD 485 Cans | MX310/Ergo525 Mouse | X-fi XM Fatal1ty
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-07   #17
teh nuB!

AK3D is very Notable

Have you used the Sigma 18-125? It gives sharper results than the kit lens. Even the Tamron digital lens are better than the kit lens. Canon and Nikon's kit lenses are absolute crap. I know 4 friends (we're part of a photography group) - 2 have a 350D and 2 have a D70s, and their kit lenses failed.
AK3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-07   #18
teh priesT!
[E]onian

Chaos is highly AdmirableChaos is highly AdmirableChaos is highly AdmirableChaos is highly AdmirableChaos is highly AdmirableChaos is highly Admirable

Sorry for that one... it was me posting from Supra's login. Anyway I've tried the sigma 18-125 and its not worth the money. Its super soft at the edges and the autofocussing performance is absolute atrocious. It ended up front focussing every damn time I tried it. Its nothing new... its pretty typical of super zooms which try to be the jack of all trades and end up blowing just about everything (exception nikon 18-200).

The kit lens is crap agreed but it costs nothing so doesn't hurt a clueless newbie. That sigma is not significantly better. Once he gets the hang of using the camera, it makes sense to invest in better lenses. Thats why I suggested a 50mm f/1.8 prime which is a cheap and excellent lens. If he has the money, he should try finding a tokina 19-35. Its a super sharp lens for the money. Infact the copy I have is sharper than most copies of 17-40 f/4L.

Anyway here are some not so glowing reviews of the sigma 18-125.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...&cat=37&page=1

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...3556/index.htm
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-07   #19
teh nuB!

AK3D is very Notable

Chaos, in that case, my experience differs from yours. The one my cousin has is definitely very sharp.
Hm - just found a review
Sigma 18-125 Focus Tests at 125mm Photo Gallery by Arjen van Andel at pbase.com

Sigma 18-125 better than Sigma 17-70 and Canon 17-85? - Canon Digital Photography Forums
And here's an interesting thread. Ah well.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/re...4/07/1335.html
Comparison shots.

What does this say? The QC is terrible - you can get a sharp lens or one that focusses badly. Perhaps we were lucky to get a great copy. Thing is, experiences vary, till I heard about your bad lenses, this would have been my recommendation. Unless the dealer is willing to replace it or at the least, let the person test it for a bit, its rather risky.

The reason I'm against the kit lenses is not the sharpness etc, but the build quality, they tend to fail very often here, and for a person who has invested in a body+kit lens (grey market), the investment proves to be useless as they then have to pay for repairs or a better lens. I've had no experience with the Tokina, but I'll definitely check it out if someone has it here, we've got quite a big group doing photography .

Last edited by AK3D; 02-10-07 at 05:58 AM.
Old 02-10-07   #20
teh geeK!
[E]onian

chirkut is highly Admirablechirkut is highly Admirablechirkut is highly Admirablechirkut is highly Admirablechirkut is highly Admirablechirkut is highly Admirablechirkut is highly Admirable

@AK3D: i am going in for 400D + kit lens 18-55 from authorized canon
retailer ( 2 yrs warranty ).

Actually i wanted to start with kit lens, learn and then try out other lenses.
chirkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-07   #21
teh nuB!

Vacuum is Mysterious

^ Good buy. 400D is certainly worth over the 350D and you can add Canon's new 18-55 IS and 55-250 IS budget lenses by the end of the year once their out

Btw, buy a 50 1.8 right away, its the perfect way to learn and start portrait and low-light photography.

Electronics:
Sony P990i | Microsoft Zune 30G + Sennheiser MX550 | iPod Video 30G | Sony PSP |
Audio:
Sonodyne Sonus 2605 Floorstanders | Marantz SR-4001 7.1 AV Receiver | Marantz DV-4001 DVD Player

Displays:
Hitachi 50" Full HD Plasma | Samsung 32" Bordeaux | LG 17" LCD (PC) |
Vacuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-07   #22
teh priesT!
[E]onian

Chaos is highly AdmirableChaos is highly AdmirableChaos is highly AdmirableChaos is highly AdmirableChaos is highly AdmirableChaos is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by dhirukholia View Post
@AK3D: i am going in for 400D + kit lens 18-55 from authorized canon
retailer ( 2 yrs warranty ).

Actually i wanted to start with kit lens, learn and then try out other lenses.
400D has nothing really over the 350D... in fact its high ISO performance is worse than the 350D. Much higher noise levels. If you wanna spend more on the body, get the Nikon D80.
Old 03-10-07   #23
teh priesT!
[E]onian

Originally Posted by AK3D View Post
Chaos, in that case, my experience differs from yours. The one my cousin has is definitely very sharp.
Hm - just found a review
Sigma 18-125 Focus Tests at 125mm Photo Gallery by Arjen van Andel at pbase.com

Sigma 18-125 better than Sigma 17-70 and Canon 17-85? - Canon Digital Photography Forums
And here's an interesting thread. Ah well.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/re...4/07/1335.html
Comparison shots.

What does this say? The QC is terrible - you can get a sharp lens or one that focusses badly. Perhaps we were lucky to get a great copy. Thing is, experiences vary, till I heard about your bad lenses, this would have been my recommendation. Unless the dealer is willing to replace it or at the least, let the person test it for a bit, its rather risky.
Yup thats the biggest issue with Sigma... their QC is absolutely crappy. A friend of mine had to return a 30mm f/1.4 sigma 4 times before he could get a good copy. Not worth the hassle IMHO. None of those comparisons make any sense however cos the lenses that are being compared to are not sharp either. If they had compared to a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, I'd be interested in reading but the Sigma 17-70 and the Canon 17-85IS are no great shakes.

Most Canon wide angles are crappy... the exceptions being the 10-22, 17-55IS, the 15mm fisheye and the 16-35 f/2.8L II.

The reason I'm against the kit lenses is not the sharpness etc, but the build quality, they tend to fail very often here, and for a person who has invested in a body+kit lens (grey market), the investment proves to be useless as they then have to pay for repairs or a better lens. I've had no experience with the Tokina, but I'll definitely check it out if someone has it here, we've got quite a big group doing photography .
The build quality of the kit lens is not that bad... if you dont drop it the kit lens should last quite a few years. Its reasonably sharp for a newb if shooting in the f/8 to f/11 range.
Old 03-10-07   #24
teh nuB!

AK3D is very Notable

Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
The build quality of the kit lens is not that bad... if you dont drop it the kit lens should last quite a few years. Its reasonably sharp for a newb if shooting in the f/8 to f/11 range.
No kidding, but they just tend to fail! My cousin's Nikon kit lens started having AF issues and then, the lens just stopped working - it would display some error and not even allow you to take a photograph. I thought it was a lens contact issue, but nope, it'd gone to its grave. The same thing happened with ANOTHER friend's D70s kit lens. When we went to the repair shop, he told me that the lens couldn't be repaired, unless at a cost of 3 or 4K or so, and that didn't make sense at all. Same with my cousin - that's why the sigma was purchased.

Now I'd say those were two isolated cases - but 2 friends with canons also had their KL's fail!! That is 2 too much to be a coincidence for me.
That's why I wouldn't recommend anyone going in for a kit lens, particularly if they're buying from the grey market. If its within warranty, then I guess you can have it repaired without any problems.
Old 03-10-07   #25
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

Aragorn is extremely Renowned
Aragorn is extremely RenownedAragorn is extremely RenownedAragorn is extremely Renowned

Oye dhiru why not Eos 1Ds Mark III ... it was released some time back and is only for 7999 Us $ ... .. get it and then Adopt ME
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-07   #26
teh geeK!
[E]onian

chirkut is highly Admirablechirkut is highly Admirablechirkut is highly Admirablechirkut is highly Admirablechirkut is highly Admirablechirkut is highly Admirablechirkut is highly Admirable

^^ .. grrrrr ... stop crapping the thread, you loser

yeah after selling kidney and all i may be able to buy it for sure

@Chaos: come on man, bigger LCD + anti-shake is worth 5-6K imo ( though i am a n00b here )
Old 03-10-07   #27
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

Aragorn is extremely Renowned
Aragorn is extremely RenownedAragorn is extremely RenownedAragorn is extremely Renowned

Welll Dhiru .... we all know u are a noob ... u have already specified that a million times .. and AFAIK... u will remain a NOOB in photography for ever ...

Unless u take my personal classes .. and let me use ur DSLR
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-07   #28
teh geeK!
[E]onian

ok boss will bring the DSLR to you first
Old 03-10-07   #29
teh priesT!
[E]onian

Originally Posted by dhirukholia View Post
^^ .. grrrrr ... stop crapping the thread, you loser

yeah after selling kidney and all i may be able to buy it for sure

@Chaos: come on man, bigger LCD + anti-shake is worth 5-6K imo ( though i am a n00b here )
Bigger LCD is no good as the 400D sacrifices the all important status display for it. The bigger LCD won't help you shoot any better either, though high ISO noise will definitely wreck havoc with shots in low light.

Who told you 400D has any anti-shake/vibration reduction/IS? It has a lame vibration based sensor cleaner which doesn't work anyway. Plus sensor dust is never really an issue on Canons.
Old 04-10-07   #30
teh nuB!

AK3D is very Notable

^ As chaos said, there are no significant advantages of the 400D over the 350D, that's why I suggested you buy a 350D and get a better lens. 10MP over 8 doesn't automatically give better images. Also, the 400D does NOT have built in IS, just the sensor dust reduction feature.

Just as an aside - one of my friends has won many awards, and he uses a 350D
Flickr: Photos from Milapsinh Jadeja
Post New Thread  Reply