Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Interesting News on the Web
Register Forgot Password?

Old 20-07-12   #1
teh zeuS!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
I'M bACK

Icon9 DRAM Prices Going Up, No More Cheap Memory

After years of downward price advancements, dynamic random access memory finally stabilized in the first half of 2012, and the opposite phenomenon is about to start, if we are reading the signs right.

For a long time, DRAM chips, modules and kits outstripped supply by a great margin, causing manufacturers to reduce prices in an attempt to boost sales.

The method didn't really work, but there wasn't anything else to try by that point, so they went with it and kept cutting prices until they couldn't afford to anymore.

The situation was bad enough that Elpida, one of the primary names on the segment, went bankrupt. Now, though, the situation has begun to reverse, according to analyst firm IHS iSuppli.

Companies have toned down production capacity and don't seem to be rushing new manufacturing nodes out the door anymore.

As such, with average 1 Gb DRAM chip price having gone up 1.5% in the second quarter of the year (April-June, 2012), the stage is set for further positive evolution as demand exceeds inventories.

The third quarter (July-September) is expected to push the ASPs up by another 7.7%, with a further 3.5% projected for the fourth.

“The latest drop in the inventory index is due primarily to an aggressive stockpile burn-off from Japanese supplier Elpida Memory Inc., which declared bankruptcy in February,” said Clifford Leimbach, analyst for memory demand forecasting at IHS.

“The action taken by Elpida - and the resulting drop in overall inventory levels for the industry in the first quarter - is a one-time event unlikely to be repeated. Even so, the reduction in stockpiles in early 2012 means that pricing should continue to strengthen in the second half of the year.”

Yet again, Ultrabooks and the Microsoft Windows 8 operating system are seen as the heralds of change. Opinion is divided on what type of change, of course. For companies, it is positive, but higher prices don't usually enchant prospective buyers much, so they might not share that view.
DRAM Prices Going Up, No More Cheap Memory - Softpedia
Jaydip likes this.
The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-12   #2
Banned
Curious Troll! :P

Dave is very HonorableDave is very Honorable
Re: DRAM Prices Going Up, No More Cheap Memory

Sad news. Very Sad.
Old 21-07-12   #3
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.

tiblu is somewhat of a Mystery
Time to grab more ram asap.

tiblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-12   #4
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Originally Posted by The Knight View Post
Yet again, Ultrabooks and the Microsoft Windows 8 operating system are seen as the heralds of change. Opinion is divided on what type of change, of course. For companies, it is positive, but higher prices don't usually enchant prospective buyers much, so they might not share that view.
I rather doubt that Windows 8 will significanly push up demand for new PC's and hence RAM. It was however expected that RAM prices will rise significantly sometime.
Jaydip likes this.
Old 21-07-12   #5
teh zeuS!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
I'M bACK

The Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply Great

I agree with that @vijayninel
Jaydip likes this.
The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-12   #6
The Mechanic
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

Jaydip is very Notable

My bad I sold mine 8GB KIT
Jaydip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-12   #7
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

RAm may change prices in the short turn but in the long run !! the prices will have to fall of RAM and also SSD's !!
no way out for the IT bandwagon !! or it will stop rolling ..

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-12   #8
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Originally Posted by ManISinJpr View Post
RAm may change prices in the short turn but in the long run !! the prices will have to fall of RAM and also SSD's !!
no way out for the IT bandwagon !! or it will stop rolling ..
I think RAM prices will be on the high side for about two years or more and DDR3 will still be the mainstay for sometime. IT bandwagon or not.
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-12   #9
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

Then it will be bad for the world in general !!!
Originally Posted by vijayninel View Post
I think RAM prices will be on the high side for about two years or more and DDR3 will still be the mainstay for sometime. IT bandwagon or not.
Old 21-07-12   #10
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

Originally Posted by ManISinJpr View Post
Then it will be bad for the world in general !!!
Things dont always happen for the good. Like they say the monsoon could be bad this time and many farmers could die ... but what to do ... the Karnataka Govt is spending Rs 17 crore on poojas without any written contract on assurances of rain from the gods.
ManISinJpr likes this.
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-12   #11
Banned
Curious Troll! :P

Dave is very HonorableDave is very Honorable

Things dont always happen for the good. Like they say the monsoon could be bad this time and many farmers could die ... but what to do ... the Karnataka Govt is spending Rs 17 crore on poojas without any written contract on assurances of rain from the gods.
lol
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-12   #12
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

This reply takes the CAKE
Post New Thread  Reply