Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Articles > Tutorials and Guides
Register Forgot Password?
Follow Erodov on Twitter Follow Us
Join us on FaceBook Join Us
Post New Article  Comment

Article Tools Search this Article
Do It Yourself : Printed Circuit board Making
Learn how to make your own PCB's
Date: 14-06-10
Topic: Tutorials and Guides
Author: Rakesh Sharma

Index
Transferring the circuit design 
Index

Printed circuit boards or PCB's have a vital role in today’s high-tech life. All electronic gadgets from TV's to toys and from Computers to mobile phones have PCB's inside them. Usually a PCB is made up of a fiber board with copper tracks on its surface which connect the different electronic components together to form a single electronic circuit. A PCB can have from a single layer of copper connection used in common electronics like toys, PC's, mice etc, or can have up to seven connection layers in single PCB used in Computer motherboard or mobile phone PCB.

Today in this small guide I would like to share with you the most common process of DIY PCB making at your home. I came to know this process in my school time, but one can Google and find many process of PCB making. Secondly I have adopted this process because it’s very easy and low in resources. There is no proper name for this particular process but generally it’s called “Laser print PCB etching”. As the name suggests a laser printout is is used in making the PCB in this process.

Materials Required for making the PCB are as follows :

1. PC and a Laser Printer (to design and printout the circuit layout).
  2. Toner Transfer Paper (to transfer the toner layout on to the PCB).
  3. Blank PCB.
  4. Hex blade, zero no. sandpaper and files (to cut the desire piece of PCB, polish and file the rough surface).
  5. Lamination Machine.
  6. Ferric Chloride and Iso-Propanol.
  7. Plastic washing tray and brushes.
  8. Drill bits to drill holes on to the PCB for component placement.

A few warnings :
  1. Be very care full when using cutting or drilling tools. If you are not familiar with these tools better get help from a professional.
  2. Be very-very careful when working with the CHEMICALS. Try not to come in direct contact with the chemical, if so immediately wash the effected body part with lot of running water.
  3. For etching process FeCl3 solution is needed. When adding H20 to FeCl3, fumes of HCL is releases which is harmful when inhaled.

Index
Transferring the circuit design 

Tools
Add to rakesh_sharma23's Karma
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
<< <    Next Page: Transferring the circuit design (Page 1 of 5)    >  >>
By vijayninel 22-06-10
Re: Do It Yourself : Printed Circuit board Making

Facinating process, though I would recommend using general purpose PCB's for smaller projects.

Thanks for the great article Rakesh.
By ManISinJpr ♦ 22-06-10

Super article there Rakesh, I had already read this in the fan control thread and also on XS.. but here it is presented in a very good way.
I wanted to experiment on the laser printer toner transfer paper and really came to a wonderful solution, there are positive film makers in the market who can do the job for as little as Rs.20... that is very cool and for that the design doesnt have to be mirrored also, plus it is a much sharper and precise means of getting thejob done.
Nice to see what you are sharing it will help many people who want to get their hands in the stuff.
By Godlike! 22-06-10

Super! I'm trying that today itself.

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

I mean gathering stuff today. will try tom
By ManISinJpr ♦ 22-06-10

@ Vijay, please replace the picture of the Circuit dia on the page, it needs to be the exact size as Rakesh posted otherwise nobody will be able to use it..
By Prash ♦ 22-06-10

Had a glance at the article, great stuff. Bookmarked - for in-depth reading, repped - because we need more.
By vijayninel 22-06-10

Originally Posted by ManISinJpr View Post
@ Vijay, please replace the picture of the Circuit dia on the page, it needs to be the exact size as Rakesh posted otherwise nobody will be able to use it..
I believe Rakesh has posted this circuit for reference only and this is not a fan controller building guide. However if you want the original image then you can find it here. http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/653/43050887.jpg I dont this is the actual size of the PCB.
By ManISinJpr ♦ 22-06-10

^^ The image is actually sized to the final size of the PCB, being mentioned here, and although I agree that this is not a guide about making fan controllers but still it is such a wonderful guide that anyone can make that and thus also find a practical use for this guide. I have tested the fan controllers from Rakesh and they are out of this world, I can assure you that, it handled my 40watts delta fan with ease...
I just wanted to request you to give the image link in originals just as you have given in the post of yours.
By vijayninel 22-06-10

^ We have no confirmation from the author (till now) that this the actual size and at what resolution it should be printed at. If you print this image at different resolutions then you will get different sizes of PCB's. Also if you view image at different resolutions then it will appear different on each resolution.

As I said this is a PCB making guide, not a fan controller making guide.
By ManISinJpr ♦ 22-06-10

^^ Whatever you say chief.
By blufox 22-06-10

wow, what a great DIY man.
amazing!!!
By JD666 22-06-10

great work there rakesh!!! great going!!

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

In a suggestion to the discussion above. Rakesh why dont you post some basic circuit pics, like a usb port, or maybe a single fan controller or something, that everyone can use for their experimentation purposes.
By rajeevv67 22-06-10

nice tutorial !
By invader 23-06-10

omg ! awesome guided .. nicely done ...
By pappusmailbox 23-06-10

Wow what a tutorial!
Post New Article  Comment
Please share with friends!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.erodov.com/forums/do-yourself-printed-circuit-board-making/33865.html
Posted By For Type Date
[Scratch Build] Phase Changer RIG. INDIA - Guru3D.com Forums This thread Refback 10-10-11 03:10 AM
[Scratch Build] Phase Changer RIG. INDIA - OverclockersClub Forums This thread Refback 07-10-11 09:20 PM
[Scratch Build] Phase Changer RIG. INDIA - AnandTech Forums This thread Refback 05-10-11 06:42 AM
[Scratch Build] Phase Changer RIG. INDIA - OverclockersClub Forums This thread Refback 04-10-11 08:40 PM
[Scratch Build] Phase Changer RIG. INDIA - OverclockersClub Forums This thread Refback 04-10-11 05:09 PM
[Scratch Build] Phase Changer RIG. INDIA - Guru3D.com Forums This thread Refback 04-10-11 04:59 PM
[Scratch Build] Phase Changer RIG. INDIA - Guru3D.com Forums This thread Refback 04-10-11 03:58 PM