Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > General Hardware and Peripherals
Register Forgot Password?

Old 22-10-12   #1
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
alive and kicking

DIY: Pentorch, Filament Bulb to LED Conversion

The Synopsis of Bakra
Last week there was a sale thread (Duracell Pen Torches..!!) posted by Dear @darylemmanuel. I posted in that thread, that a DIY can be done easily to convert the filament torch to LED. As techie people here already know LED is much reliable and uses less power to light up thereby increasing battery life. So i had something in mind for this nonsensical project. What better ways to kill a boring monday putting all important work backstage.

One dear member @honey62022 and OP himself offered it as a freebie. So the torch and an extra bulb which i specially asked for was a gift. I mean I love E for this, bringing like minded techie people across many miles closer.

Tools/Stuff required
1. Soldering iron low wattage one - my preference Soldetron 25 watt , soldering wires and flux
2. Pliers, to break/sacrifice the filament bulb
3. Blade, sharper the better
4. Old Pen, selection is complete improvisation. So do the hunting yourself.
5. A compass/needle
6. A file. (No not that paper folder-wala, File as in wife's nail file) - hope you got my point.
7. couple of wires
8. Most important a LED bulb - white is preferred obviously. Cost about Rs.5 max.

The Procedure
1. Procedure is pretty straight forward. Break the original filament bulb. and install the led bulb on its base by using a soldering iron. Lot of improvisation is needed.

2. As LED I had was smaller in size so it went past through the original hole that holds the filament bulb. So i had to use plastic part of a pen. Using bigger LED can be a possibility but it will drain battery quickly.

3. Let the images do the talking. Enjoy!!

Images
The Bakra
1-pentorch.jpg

Check the intensity. What a shame for a torch costing that much.
2-filament-bulb.jpg

2b-filament-bulb.jpg

Dismantled
3-main-components.jpg

50% of Filament bulb. Please take care while breaking the glass. Using a pliers make it much easier. Remove the glass pieces completely.
4-preparation.jpg

5-bulb.jpg

The LED I had, had small terminals, so i had to attach piece of wire to it. Also check the tiny hole that i created with a compass at the back of what remains of the filament bulb base.
5a-bulb.jpg

Check the usage of empty refill of the pen as an insulator to insulate between [+]ive and [-]ive terminals.
5b-bulb.jpg

Final Product. Filament bulb can be used other way round, but LED has [+]ive and [-]ive terminals. So it has to be used correctly while connecting to the battery. or it won't light up.
5c-final-bulb.jpg

5d-final-bulb.jpg

Check the usage of the cutout of a pen.
5e-final-bulb.jpg

6a-led-installed.jpg

Walla!! The LED torch.
6b-led-installed.jpg

6c-led-installed.jpg

6d-led-installed.jpg
Disclaimer:
The author, that is me or the website, that is 'E' cannot be held responsible if you try this madness on your own and loose a limb or sight in the process.

On a serious note tread cautiously as glass is involved. Leftover pieces on floor can be hazardous.

Soldering Skills is mandatory for this DIY

Special Thanks - You people are great!!
@darylemmanuel
@honey62022
Thanks for reading

Last edited by Veyron; 23-10-12 at 12:02 AM.
Veyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-12   #2
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
ॐ D E S P E R T E ࡔ

darylemmanuel is very Notable
Re: DIY: Pentorch, Filament Bulb to LED Conversion

nice work..!! keep it up... Anything that saves energy is worth doing...

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________________
"ex tenebris ad lucem" ]

OLD/DEAD/NON WORKING POWER BANK/CHARGER
darylemmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-12   #3
teh priesT!
[E]onian
[E]ddicted !

mohitgamer is highly Reputablemohitgamer is highly Reputablemohitgamer is highly Reputable
Re: DIY: Pentorch, Filament Bulb to LED Conversion

Nice Work !! Thnx for Sharing...