Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Everything Under the Sun
Register Forgot Password?

Old 18-03-08   #1
A Guru
[E] Guru
tired and bored

Desperate RIAA

Having failed to stop piracy by suing internet users, the music industry is for the first time seriously considering a file sharing surcharge that internet service providers would collect from users.

In recent months, some of the major labels have warmed to a pitch by Jim Griffin, one of the idea's chief proponents, to seek an extra fee on broadband connections and to use the money to compensate rights holders for music that's shared online. Griffin, who consults on digital strategy for three of the four majors, will argue his case at what promises to be a heated discussion Friday at South by Southwest.

"It's monetizing the anarchy," says Peter Jenner, head of the International Music Manager's Forum, who plans to join Griffin on the panel.

Griffin's idea is to collect a fee from internet service providers -- something like $5 per user per month -- and put it into a pool that would be used to compensate songwriters, performers, publishers and music labels. A collecting agency would divvy up the money according to artists' popularity on P2P sites, just as ASCAP and BMI pay songwriters for broadcasts and live performances of their work.

Music Industry Proposes a Piracy Surcharge on ISPs

Angry at Apple for using part of my name for iPad. Stealing buggers

Last edited by Shripad; 18-03-08 at 12:42 PM.
Shripad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-08   #2
teh geeK!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

apextwin is highly Admirableapextwin is highly Admirableapextwin is highly Admirableapextwin is highly Admirableapextwin is highly Admirableapextwin is highly Admirableapextwin is highly Admirable
Re: Desperate RIAA

wat utter ............... .... how can they come up with such ideas ... Broadband surchage of all things wats next then?? every1 who owns a PC ..
apextwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-08   #3
teh nuB!

jampack is Mysterious

thats one stupid idea imo
jampack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-08   #4
teh zeuS!
[E]onian

Chief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly Admirable

Sick RIAA
Chief-Techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-08   #5
Lead Lead
Staff

Rig Gallery

KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!
KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!

I can almost feel Sify engineerings starting to code things for this one ATM.

KiD0M4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-08   #6
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian

6pack is highly Reputable6pack is highly Reputable6pack is highly Reputable6pack is highly Reputable

^^ lol!

but if the riaa takes $5 per month from every broadband/ internet user wont it means that they are legalising the download of music files since persons are now paying for songs they download.

would like to see the outcome of this in legal terms.
6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-08   #7
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian

Darthcoder is highly AdmirableDarthcoder is highly AdmirableDarthcoder is highly AdmirableDarthcoder is highly AdmirableDarthcoder is highly AdmirableDarthcoder is highly Admirable

LOL, What if I dont use my Broadband to download music/movies??
How can they assume that Everyone with a broadband connection uses it to just download Music/Movies/Copyrighted stuff??Ghay a$$e$.
Darthcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-08   #8
teh zeuS!
[E]onian

Chief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly AdmirableChief-Techie is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by KiD0M4N View Post
I can almost feel Sify engineerings starting to code things for this one ATM.
TATA Engg wont be Bothered they have Enough bandwidth to cater for p2p

Last edited by Chief-Techie; 18-03-08 at 04:28 PM.
Old 18-03-08   #9
Lead Lead
Staff

Rig Gallery

KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!
KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!

Originally Posted by Chief-Techie View Post
TATA Engg wont be Bothered they Enough bandwidth to cater for p2p
not the right word. They "can't" be bothered, because even if they were, they would take 1 million years coding it
KiD0M4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-08   #10
teh zeuS!
[E]onian

Originally Posted by KiD0M4N View Post
not the right word. They "can't" be bothered, because even if they were, they would take 1 million years coding it
Dont see Indian ISP's Smart Enough to Implement this
Post New Thread  Reply