Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Electronics and Consumer Durables > Android Phones
Register Forgot Password?

Old 12-07-11   #571
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
bleh

Re: The Definitive Android Thread

AFAIK, you need root only to install custom ROMs. To install factory firmware with an upgraded OS, you don't need to root.

Also, you don't need root to use your phone as a modem. If your phone supports wifi/usb tethering ( like my G2 does at stock ), then you just need the drivers to tether.
Desktop - Core i5 4670K - 4.2Ghz @ 1.16v | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 | Gigabyte Z87-D3HP | Sapphire R7 250X 1GB DDR5 | HD555 | Fiio E7 | Ikari Optical | TVS Gold | Samsung 840 Evo 120GB SSD + Seagate 7200.10 500GB | Seagate Expansion 2TB USB3 | BenQ GW2255HM

Mobile - iPhone 5S Gold 16GB - 7.0.3 Jailbroken; Nexus 7 - Stock 4.4.2; Skullcandy Ink'd 2 Headset.
Aumkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11   #572
Cyanogenmod 6.0-N1
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
work, work and more work :(

Rig Gallery

blufox is extremely Renowned
blufox is extremely Renownedblufox is extremely Renownedblufox is extremely Renownedblufox is extremely Renownedblufox is extremely Renowned

root is akin to administrator on your Windows PC. Someone who has access to everything and thus all the privileges.

Since the Android is based on Linux, which has some inherent limitations(+limitations imposed by manufacturers) when trying to access or modify some hardware related binaried/stuff/etc( but not limited to HW, some software portions are also protected this way), you cannot just go and modify it. This is also a protection from any accidental spill over to sensitive hardware ROMs.

This doesn't mean you cannot modify it. Afterall they must have modified the ROMs themselves during different iterations of the product.
To do so, all Unix systems rely on the superuser called Root.

Rooting your phone means you get access to almost everything, apart from things out of control of you e.g certain hardware has its own firmware, which might override what an Operating System dictates to you. Example, the saga of locked bootloaders. Even if you get root, you cannot just modify it and assume that all shall be fine. There is a protection firmware which checksums the bootloader binary and bricks ( extreme case ) it, in case checksum is very different from what its persistent internal database says.

PS: My understanding may be incorrect, feel free to correct.

/Steve Wozniak
blufox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11   #573
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Oneplus one goodness

sumatrix is highly Admirablesumatrix is highly Admirablesumatrix is highly Admirablesumatrix is highly Admirablesumatrix is highly Admirablesumatrix is highly Admirable

That's a nice explanation bro.Thanks a lot.will help a lot of users out there.

Can someone point me towards a thread for unrooting a device??
sumatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11   #574
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
bleh

Aumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly Admirable

Just flash stock firmware back onto the device to remove root privileges.
Old 12-07-11   #575
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Oneplus one goodness

sumatrix is highly Admirablesumatrix is highly Admirablesumatrix is highly Admirablesumatrix is highly Admirablesumatrix is highly Admirablesumatrix is highly Admirable

Using ODIN by keeping the zip file on my phone's HDD?? I should be making a backup of my stock firmware right?? Or is it available for download on XDA??

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

Ok i am back after reading some posts for noobs from XDA. Do tell me if what i am saying is correct or wrong.

For backing up the stock ROM we need to boot into recovery mode.
Make a nand back.

And when we want to go back to stock ROM and unroot it then we need to restore from the NAND backup. Correcto??
Old 13-07-11   #576
En Taro Adun
Blank

Superfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply GreatSuperfrag is simply Great

Originally Posted by sumatrix View Post
You dont need to root your phone to upgrade the firmware(unofficial one) right??
Rooting is done to install apps taht are not from the android market and to use your phone as a modem to connect to internet on your pc??

Asking this from a noob's point of view.
Between i recently moved from symbian to android by buying a Samsung Galaxy S2.
You don't need root for either of the functions.

Galaxy Nexus | Samsung Series 5 Chromebook running Ubuntu!
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 32GB I/O Edition
My Twitter!
My Audio Gear(Past and Present)
CanJam 2010 Pictures!!
My Last.fm Page
[E]'s Twitter!
"We all got our choices to make." "Damn Shame."
Superfrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-11   #577
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Oneplus one goodness

OK got it thanks .can some one reply to my recent question?/
Old 15-07-11   #578
teh nuB!
ayecarumba!

docfazz is Mysterious

us flashed void from xda but the damn thing wont work.. was able to install the basic void rom but the add-on zip file isn't installing. all it says is "No signature (36 files) Verification failed".. what do i do? now back on megatron
docfazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-11   #579
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Oneplus one goodness

Originally Posted by sumatrix View Post
Using ODIN by keeping the zip file on my phone's HDD?? I should be making a backup of my stock firmware right?? Or is it available for download on XDA?? ---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ---------- Ok i am back after reading some posts for noobs from XDA. Do tell me if what i am saying is correct or wrong. For backing up the stock ROM we need to boot into recovery mode. Make a nand back. And when we want to go back to stock ROM and unroot it then we need to restore from the NAND backup. Correcto??

Can someone answer the above questions posted by me??
Old 26-07-11   #580
teh priesT!
[E]onian
Overworked & Underpaid.

KM0111 is highly ReputableKM0111 is highly ReputableKM0111 is highly Reputable

Wanted to ask something.. What is the difference between KG2 and KF2??
Old 27-08-11   #581
Banned
I havent set my status yet.

PoPo is Mysterious

I just got an android (not for myself), it's Samsung Nexus S (i9020) and was checking everything. I transferred all contacts from SIM to phone and when I tried to Join contacts, I get this error : The process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. The contacts get joined but the process ends and had to force close. I didn't do any firmware updates or install any stuff. Just checking if everything is working fine.
Old 29-08-11   #582
Banned
I havent set my status yet.

PoPo is Mysterious

Ok, problemo solved Thanks a lot Aumkar
PoPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-11   #583
teh smartie pantS!
Tinkering...

shantanugoel is highly Admirableshantanugoel is highly Admirableshantanugoel is highly Admirableshantanugoel is highly Admirableshantanugoel is highly Admirable

Awesome news, guys..

Amazon app store now works in India. No hacking/workarounds needed. Even free app of the day deals work

Just go to http://www.amazon.com/app-email on your phone, install, sign in to your amazon account and off you go
Superfrag and ManISinJpr like this.
Old 19-09-11   #584
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
bleh

Aumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly Admirable

Wow thats great! Reps!
Old 19-09-11   #585
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

Awesome news, @shantanugoel.. I love it !!
Reps to you

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply