Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > Cooling and Overclocking
Register Forgot Password?

Old 22-03-16   #1
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.

Dead D5 Pump :(

So I have been running my water cooling loop successfully for close to 4 years now. (With regular periodical maintenance).
A couple of weeks ago my system started making a slight noise. At first I thought it was some fan blade hitting a wire or something. The noise was intermittent and would come and go randomly. Unfortunately, on Friday, there a rather loud knocking noise and the pump stopped completely.

Drained my loop and dismantled my pump to find that the rotor has worn out
Here are some pics of the pump. The ceramic bearing on the stator looks decent but the part of rotor that sits on the bearing is complete worn out.

So does anyone have a spare D5 to sell? Or a dead D5 from which i can salvage the rotor?
Alternatively, has anyone tried using the cooler water pump or aquarium pump for their loop?
What could be the possible issues?

PS - In order to satisfy my curiosity of seeing it work, I made the terrible choice of trying to make the pump run while open. Without water acting as the lubricant, the rotor wore out very fast!!
Learning - Never ever run the D5 pump without water!

PPS - By rough estimates, my pump ran for about 20k hours. That is less than the 50k hour MTBF for D5 pump. The only logical reason I can conclude for my pump reduced life span is the way I was using it in a dual bay pump+res combo. The way my loop was designed, bleeding it took quite sometime and I presume this air circulating in the pump had a bad impact on the pump life.
Attached Thumbnails
>rotor_1.jpg   >rotor_2.jpg   >stator_1.jpg   >stator_2.jpg  
StrongDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-19   #2
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.

Deltacomp is Mysterious
Re: Dead D5 Pump :(

Hi I have d5 pumps , I have 2 nos , purchased 5 years back along with bits dual pump setup . Along with few bits fitting . Rad and cyclinder tank for fitting with my tx10 alumninum case . But never used and all the things lying around in our Atic type room for 5 years now . Dusting and with scratch’s.

Let me know if you still looking for a pump . 5 years old but not Never used except for once I fitted it .
Deltacomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply