Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Articles > Reviews & Previews
Register Forgot Password?
Follow Erodov on Twitter Follow Us
Join us on FaceBook Join Us
Post New Article  Comment

Article Tools Search this Article
Dawn of War II Retribution Review
For the Emperor!
Date: 03-06-11
Topic: Reviews & Previews
Author: Shodhanth Ramaswamy

Index
Story 
Index

In the grim darkness of a future where there is only war, the immediate reaction to such a tagline is “that would make a great game” and so they did. Relic Entertainment, responsible for games such as HomeWorld and Company of Heroes, had the same reaction and fulfilled the wet dreams of the fans of the Warhammer 40,000 Universe by releasing Dawn of War to the PC on the 20th of September 2004. After that there were some wildly successful expansions, Winter Assault and Dark Crusade, and one of which wasn't so popular *cough* Soulstorm *cough*. But the premise was set, the fans were hungry for more and Relic announced, much to the cheers of their fans, Dawn of War II. This melded RPG and RTS elements to the game which left a bittersweet taste in the mouth of several fans; some fell in love with it while others felt betrayed as the base building was forsaken for micromanagement. But it could not be denied by either side that the sequel was much more story oriented than the previous installments. Then Relic went on to release Chaos Rising a stand-alone expansion, this expansion while being similar to Dawn of War II introduced the infamous heretics, the Chaos Space Marines to the fray. The story had a certain amount of replay ability, and was engaging to a fault.

Fast forward a year and Relic announces and releases Dawn of War II Retribution, and here’s the kicker, they have separate campaigns for each of the six races. Fans were overjoyed; haters grudgingly accepted the error of their ways. Has it succeeded in satisfying the masses?
Let’s find out.

Box art

Note: I am a bit of a fan of this game, so expect the review to be a bit biased.

Index
Story 

Tools
Add to Xeo's Karma
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
<< <    Next Page: Story (Page 1 of 7)    >  >>
By vijayninel 18-06-11
Re: Dawn of War II Retribution Review

Nice review there Xeo. Creatures look like something out of StarTrek/Conan movies.
By Xeo 18-06-11

Ehehe! Now to wait till I get my pocket money then go out and buy something to be reviewed!
By MOZ 21-06-11

Descent Read!
By Xeo 21-06-11

Mohit at it again! xD
By MOZ 22-06-11

Lolz
By Xeo 22-06-11

Decent Read!
I am assuming you know what I mean?
By MOZ 22-06-11

I do, and I realised my mistake earlier, but I couldn't edit the post.
By omega3504 18-07-11

The Emperor protects!
By Xeo 18-07-11

Another fan?
By thebanik 01-08-11

Nicely written....I like strategy games too, might pick it up....
By Xeo 01-08-11

You might want to avoid Retribution if you are doing this for the campaign and go for Dawn of War 2 and Chaos Rising otherwise known as the Dawn of War 2 Gold pack.
By Cyn1c 01-08-11

"automatically matches players based on how many matches they have played and won/lost."

Wrong! The matchmaking system only takes Skill rating into consideration. Number of matches won/lost have no impact on the type of opponent you'll get.

The only exception to the above rule is: If my skill rating is 2300 and yours is 1600, there are chances we'll be each other's opponents in case similarly rated players are not available for either of us during the 'Find a Game' search.
By Xeo 01-08-11

^Didn't know that.
I was paired up with guys that were playing their first game when I started playing multiplayer, so I assumed that it had to do with the number of games played.
Thanks for the info.
Post New Article  Comment
Please share with friends!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search