Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Launchpad > News
Register Forgot Password?
Post New News  Reply

Article Tools Search this Article

Old
Core I7 4960X Preview : Is IB-E the Shot in the Arm That X79 Needs?
by ChironX 18-07-13

Core i7 4960X preview : Is IB-E the shot in the arm that X79 needs?

For months now, enthusiasts using the Sandy Bridge E platform based on X79 chipset have been hearing rumors about Intel's upcoming platform refresh, akin to the mainstream solutions they introduced in terms of Ivy Bridge and then Haswell, throughout the year 2012 and into the first two quarters of 2013. While SB-E was truly ahead of the consumer level with its superior performance, people yearned for more as time progressed and the mainstream platforms started to come closer. Already a couple of years old now, SB-E has started to lose steam as more and more powerful yet efficient processors come out of the blue team's stable.

Finally, we're presented with Intel's flag bearer for the enthusiast platform, the i7-4960X. With six cores running on a base clock of 3.6 GHz and a Turbo clock of 4 GHz, this processor has a whooping 15 MB of shared L3 Cache, and a PCI-E link speed of 8 GT/s. Some of the folks over at popular tech sites have gotten engineering samples of this beast and they have initial previews out. So is Ivy Bridge E same as desktop Ivy Bridge - a smaller bump in performance with a significant thermal impact? Let's find out.

In media encoding and computational benchmarks, the 4960x presents a little bump over the previous flagship, 3970x. At times the difference is too small, as is evident with Sandra tests of arithmetic as well as multimedia. Handbrake on the other hand posts around 7% better performance over the 3970x, and almost 15% over 4770k.

In content creation tests like 3ds Max and Cinebench, 4960x outperforms the 3970x, but here also the margin is small, ranging in 2-3%.

Same scenario continues in Productivity and compression tasks. The 4960x is barely 1.5% faster than the 3970x in Visual Studio, and 1.7% faster in 7-zip compression tests.

But here's the ace in the sleeve - The 4960x is rated 130W TDP, full 20W lesser than the previous flagship. This translates into some amazing power consumption scores. On average the processor consumes even lesser power than 3930k, coming within 10 watts of the Sandy Bridge mainstream i7-2700k. It still can't beat Ivy Bridge and Haswell mainstream, though, as 3770k and 4770k sit handily on top of the chart, consuming anything between 15-20W lesser than the 4960x. But for a flagship enthusiast processor, this is no mean feat, since the world is also witnessing AMD pull out a monsterous 220W TDP processor, a.k.a FX-9590.

So the picture is clear where Intel is aiming with IB-E. Smaller performance bumps in favor of lesser thermal and power footprint, much like their Ivy Bridge mainstream processors (though Ivy Bridge runs hotter than Sandy Bridge). So is it worth upgrading to? Not less the full picture is clear. But from whatever we have seen here, if you are an existing X79 user (like yours truly!) you might want to wait for Haswell E. For users moving to X79, this presents an exciting news.

Source - Tom's Hardware.
Attached Thumbnails
>sandra-arithmetic.png   >handbrake.png   >sandra-multimedia.png   >ivy-wafer.jpg   >fritz.png  

>7-zip.png   >visual-studio.png   >3ds-max.png   >cinebench.png  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp average-power.bmp (472.7 KB, 996 views)
Views 2792 Comments 8
Total Comments 8

Comments

Old 18-07-13
Patient_Zero
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Zombie Enthusiast

realandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly Admirable
Re: Core I7 4960X Preview : Is IB-E the Shot in the Arm That X79 Needs?

O.M.G!
Some give me a god damn cheque which dosen't bounce.
Coolu and ChironX like this.
Old 18-07-13
Cat in the rat race
Incognito

ChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly Famed

^ I wish Intel would price this around $600 :/
Old 18-07-13
Patient_Zero
Zombie Enthusiast

realandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly Admirable

Originally Posted by ChironX View Post
^ I wish Intel would price this around $600 :/
Hopefully :|
But i don't see that coming anytime soon bro.
Old 18-07-13
Cat in the rat race
Incognito

ChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly Famed

Yeah, I wanted a 3960x to begin with but had to step down to a much lower 3820 since I couldn't afford a 50k processor :/
Old 18-07-13
Patient_Zero
Zombie Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChironX View Post
Yeah, I wanted a 3960x to begin with but had to step down to a much lower 3820 since I couldn't afford a 50k processor :/
i7 3820 is really a VFM proccy! I heard you could probably OC it over 5ghz on air. And that's quite sweet
ChironX likes this.
Old 19-07-13
teh zeuS!
I'M bACK

The Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply Great

As far rumour Intel's next HEDT (high-end desktop) processors, Core i7 "Ivy Bridge-E," should launch in most global markets before September 11.
ChironX likes this.
Old 19-07-13
Cat in the rat race
Incognito

I hope the rest of the processors will also continue to set the performance/power trend that 4960X shows.
Old 02-11-15
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.

Beth tamm is Mysterious

Tell me the pro and cons of this technology.
Post New News  Reply
Please share with friends!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search

Similar News
Article Author Forum Replies Last Post
INTEL: Sandy Bridge-E : Core-i7-3960x & X79 Preview thebanik Core Components 5 11-10-11 12:16 PM
Preview: Intel Core i7 Extreme Processor Amarbir Core Components 4 14-11-08 02:00 PM
Preview: Core i7 Original DX58SO Motherboard From Intel Amarbir Reviews & Previews 2 14-11-08 07:46 AM
AMD Hexa Core Istanbul Die Shot nish_higher Interesting News on the Web 0 14-05-08 06:34 PM
Celeron Dual Core E1200 preview ... PoBoy Cooling and Overclocking 5 15-01-08 08:56 AM

Tags
4960x, arm, core, ibe, preview, shot, x79