Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Articles > Reviews & Previews
Register Forgot Password?
Follow Erodov on Twitter Follow Us
Join us on FaceBook Join Us
Post New Article  Comment

Article Tools Search this Article
CoolerMaster QuickFire Rapid Mechanical Keyboard Preview
Date: 25-09-11
Topic: Reviews & Previews
Author: Madhusudan Banik

About Author:
Network admin at day. [E] Lead Hardware Geek at night

Index
Features and Pictures 
Index

In the past year or so we have seen Mechanical keyboards making a comeback and almost every computer accessory manufacturer has a Mechanical Keyboard in their list of products. While they won’t replace keyboards for everyday use, simply because of the cost of the MX switches used in Mechanical Keyboard but their speed, and click satisfaction is liked by Gamers, bloggers and anyone who uses computer for a longer duration.

The product that landed on our lap today is another such Mechanical Keyboard, package size was a big surprise, a gaming keyboard could not have fit into the box in which it came to us. Opening the package revealed the Mechanical Keyboard from CoolerMaster called Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Mechanical Keyboard, 'QuickFire' name fits aptly considering the speed of almost any Mechanical Keyboard compared to membrane type. This is CoolerMaster's first attempt at a Mechanical Gaming Keyboard and only further testing would prove whether they have a winner in hand or not, but considering the other products under Storm brand name, we are hoping for the best.

CoolerMaster have decided to go down a different route than other Mechanical Keyboards by opting for a shorter keyboard layout with only 87 Keys. There is no numpad in this keyboard which has been a topic of discussion earlier where many suggested having a numpad is a waste of space in a gaming keyboard, jury is still out on this but we certainly will look out for the experience when we start testing the keyboard. Now there are quite a few types of MX switches that are available but CoolerMaster have decided to go with Black, Blue and Brown switches for Quickfire. Our sample has Blue switches which are typically more suitable for typing, specially since they do make a loud auditory response when pressed, which might feel good to someone who is typing long notes etc but in games while using online voice etc the sound might become a hindrance. Anyways we will be testing the keyboard extensively for the next couple of weeks, before publishing our review which is when the Keyboard is going to be available in India as well. So expect it to be available in retail stores/ SMC somewhere in Mid-October. Launch price is not known yet but we do hope that for a no-frill keyboard like QuickFire price stays below Rs. 3000-4000.

To know more about the features/specification and see pictures of the keyboard, click on the next button.

Index
Features and Pictures 

Tools
Add to thebanik's Karma
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
<< <    Next Page: Features and Pictures (Page 1 of 2)    >  >>
By Animator 27-09-11
Re: CoolerMaster QuickFire Mechanical Keyboard Preview

Awesome !!

I see the CM Storm Logo there !
By PoPo 27-09-11

Why is it so expensive ?? 3-4K ?? Why a Storm Quickfire, why not a TVS Gold ??
By blufox 27-09-11

3-4k?? Isn't that a lil costly.
2k and it will be a steal in market.
By MOZ 27-09-11

Looks cheap
By PoPo 27-09-11

Yes, looks like Frontech keyboard
By Member_xyz 27-09-11

Reminds me of a 70's typewriter. Undisputed winner of the ugliest keyboard award. Bookmark this page. If you are ever upset that your keyboard looks bad then all you have to do is to visit this article.
By syedthedevil 27-09-11

looks like cheap iball keyboard
By thebanik 27-09-11

Price is not disclosed, I was simply speculating. But xyz, arent you one of them who doesnt like fancy cabinets, mobiles and gadgets, now whats your definition of a beautiful keyboard (mind you I am not saying this one is pretty) but basically if its priced fairly I would definitely buy such a keyboard. Its a joy to use the keyboard
Last edited by thebanik; 27-09-11 at 09:33 PM..
By modeSEVEN 27-09-11

The UK reveal for this product also mentions that the switches in the keyboard can be made to order. This works specially well for gamers who need to type alot as well since there are different switches for different applications, namely black for gaming and blues for typing. So gamers who need it can get a WASD black keyset with the rest as blue.
Alternatively you can just get a brown switch keyboard and get the best of both worlds (like me)

you think 3-4k is expensive? I've seen mechanical keyboards for 7-10k selling like hotcakes. These are for people who like a good typing experience similar to how GPUs like the 570, 6950 are for people who want a good video/gaming experience.
Don't be quick to slam the product as a fail.
Here are the real mechanical keyboards. Not that I have anything against coolermaster and other mainstream companies picking up on the trend, just that these companies do a way better job of it.
www.daskeyboard.com/
www.diatec.co.jp/en/aboutus.php
www.deckkeyboards.com/
TigerImports.NET - Peg Perego Parts, Batteries, Chargers, Power Wheels Vehicles and More!ducky/

There are more but I can't remember the names. These keyboards come in the 6-10k range and believe me they are worth it!

BTW I use a diatec filco ninja B)

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

^^^ how the heck does one edit a post? all the links came out wrong!
By Xeo 27-09-11

^Lulz!
And I want to try out MX Browns. If this keyboard is MX Blue then I would much rather get the TVS Gold, but if it was Brown it would be something I would definitely consider.
By PoPo 27-09-11

Get the TVS Gold Forget Blue / Browm / Green.
By modeSEVEN 27-09-11

yeah I got browns. Bloody awesome typing though not as good as blues. But on blues I found it difficult to play games at times.
I have a TVS gold at home as well btw. They feel like blues but they are very, VERY hard as compared to all the brands I mentioned. Heck, even steelseries and razor do a better job of them.
By thebanik 27-09-11

Originally Posted by Xeo View Post
^Lulz!
And I want to try out MX Browns. If this keyboard is MX Blue then I would much rather get the TVS Gold, but if it was Brown it would be something I would definitely consider.
I dont think there would be an option to order, but in India retail units would come in Black, Blue and Brown and you certainly can choose from them.

@modeSEVEN, Das has been making Mechanical Keyboards for a long time, but MX switches are patented by MX, and all companies need to order through them AFAIK. So it all boils down to implementation
By Harsh 27-09-11

lol.. f5 to f12 look like smileyfaces with broken teeth !

I'm easily amused : |
Post New Article  Comment
Please share with friends!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.erodov.com/forums/coolermaster-quickfire-mechanical-keyboard-preview/45670.html
Posted By For Type Date
Article : CoolerMaster QuickFire Mechanical Keyboard Preview This thread Refback 28-09-11 12:56 AM