Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > Core Components
Register Forgot Password?

Old 05-01-15   #1
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
getting into competitive CS
1.6 once more

Continuous Reboot in 3-5 Sec Interval, Bios Failure

Hi all,

First of all, a very happy new year to everyone. may God fulfill all of your dreams and you become successful in each and every quest.

Although, the new year did not start as good as I wanted.

Two days ago, I got new ram modules Corsair Vengeance pro 2133 Mhz 2*8 gb kit and I already had an H100i. Got all of the stuff installed and pc went in boot loop.

I had faced this issue before, clearing CMOS solved the issue everytime or reseating rams in different slots did the trick. but his time, none is working.

My hardware is as following:

i5 2500k + msi Z68A GD80 G3 + 16 gb 2133 mhz ram + seasonic 1250 watt gold psu

The ram modules were working fine before installation of the H100i. So it is definitely not ram issue.

The boot loop is happenning as following after CMOS is cleared:

i) First time, no led blink, restarts after 5 seconds
ii) Second time, led blinking 1 cycle/sec, restarts after 5 seconds (led denotes primary bios failure)
iii) Third time, led blinking rapidly, restarts after 5 seconds (led denotes secondary bios failure)
iv) Fourth time and later on, led is on constantly and pc continues to reboot after every 5 seconds

Is there a way to recover Bios somehow? Also, Is this related to any other hardware issue? I had to flash a Beta bios from MSI forums to boot my pc after installation of GTX 970 card as motherboard bios was not detecting the video card.

I tried to boot from USB flash drive but it is not working.

Any kind of help is really appreciable.

Thanks in advance.
i7 4790k @ 4 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus VII Ranger, 2 * 8 GB Corsair Vengeance pro 2133 Mhz, Asus GTX 970 Strix, Seasonic 1050 XM Gold, Samsung pro 256 GB ssd, 3 TB + storage, NZXT phantom, Steelseries Apex, Coolermaster Sentinel II Advance, League Of Legends Mousepad, NZXT Sentry, NZXT Hue, Asus pb298q
BULLZI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-15   #2
Cat in the rat race
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Incognito

ChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly Famed
Re: Continuous Reboot in 3-5 Sec Interval, Bios Failure

Looks like a corrupt BIOS issue to me.

- After flashing the beta BIOS, was the PC working fine?
- Connect only one stick of RAM and only primary HDD/SSD and see if the motherboard boots. Detach everything else and keep the bare minimum stuff e.g. kbd/mouse.
- Do you have the stock cooler? If yes, remove the H100i, test with stock cooler.
- Also, I would advise you to take the motherboard out of the cabinet and put it in on top of the motherboard box (like an open test bench) and then troubleshoot.

Also, instead of clearing CMOS through onboard button, remove the battery from the motherboard, wait for 10-15 minutes and put it back on and see what happens.
Old 05-01-15   #3
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
1.6 once more

BULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly Famed

Thanks ChironX for the reply:

1. After flashing Bios PC was perfectly ok. Even the new ram modules were also running fine.
2. Already done that and the result is same for all 4 slots.
3. Do not have any spare cooler with me right now. Do you think installing new cooler created the issue?
4. I will check in the way you have mentioned. There is lot of body current right now. The earthing is not working properly. Can it be the issue?

Well I did not clear cmos using onboard switch. Everytime I used the procedure mentioned in MSI forums by taking out battery, resetting the jumper and taking AC power cord out and click on power button to clear capacitor charge.
Old 05-01-15   #4
Cat in the rat race
Incognito

ChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly Famed

Originally Posted by BULLZI View Post
There is lot of body current right now. The earthing is not working properly. Can it be the issue?
This can definitely be the issue. If you can, try running/testing the PC in your friend's house to see if the problem persists. Faulty earthing has the potential to damage components so please be careful.
ChironX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-15   #5
teh nuB!
[E]onian

mikhil is Mysterious

Try running the system only with the motherboard, processor and one ram stick at 1600Mhz. Install the cooler which was there before you installed h100i.

Did you, by any chance, drop the pump on any part of the board while installing it? Is the pump working fine?

Try booting your system with a different psu if possible. Recently we encountered a similar problem with a friend's pc and found the psu was dead.

- Sent from my rooted LG D802 "G2"
Old 06-01-15   #6
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
1.6 once more

BULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly FamedBULLZI is highly Famed

^

No definitely not psu issue. Pump working fine as well.

Will try as Chironx has suggested. Need some leisure hours

BTW, if I buy any H61 motherboard, will it run the rams at lower speeds or won't detect the ram at all?
Old 06-01-15   #7
teh nuB!
[E]onian

mikhil is Mysterious

Yes it should run the rams at lower speeds. The bios usually sets the ram profile automatically.

mikhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-15   #8
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
1.6 once more

I am also afraid if the H61 motherboard detect gtx 970.

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

Also is it worth buying Z77 chipset now?
Old 06-01-15   #9
teh nuB!
[E]onian

mikhil is Mysterious

Yes it should work. Ref this thread http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...-asus-h61.html

I'd still opt z87, it has more native sata controllers and 4th generation cpus. After that, there's not much difference except broadwell/sata express support between z87 and z97 .

Old 06-01-15   #10
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
1.6 once more

^

Yaar, if I had the money, I would have got Z97 + 4th gen processor. Due to socket change, I have to change both proccy and mobo at the same time and that the issue.

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

Originally Posted by mikhil View Post
Yes it should work. Ref this thread can gtx 970 work on my asus p8 h61-mx ? - Asus - Graphics & Displays

I'd still opt z87, it has more native sata controllers and 4th generation cpus. After that, there's not much difference except broadwell/sata express support between z87 and z97 .

I also know that it should work fine as it has got PCIe X16 slot. But the issue is my Z68 GD80 did not boot with the card and had to flash a beta bios from Msi forum to make the gfx card work. I was thinking of that issue only.

If the board does not boot with GTX 970 and Gigabyte has no bios update for it, I am screwed.
Old 08-01-15   #11
Cat in the rat race
Incognito

Which H61 board do you have in mind? I would suggest reading up on the support before you buy anything.

Also, if you are buying Gigabyte, check on the revision numbers.
Old 09-01-15   #12
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
1.6 once more

Well, as my mom offered me some money, I did the biggest upgrade of my life yesterday.

Got i7 4790K + Asus Maximus VII Ranger.

Looking to sell off the proccy and motherboard now.
Old 09-01-15   #13
Cat in the rat race
Incognito

Congrats. Post some pics of the system.
BULLZI likes this.
Old 09-01-15   #14
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
1.6 once more

^

Yes will do that in the weekend. Thanks Chironx.

the earthing problem is yet to be resolved. Can the 2 point plug pin of the smps be the culprit?

Last edited by BULLZI; 09-01-15 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-01-15   #15
teh nuB!
[E]onian

mikhil is Mysterious

So it happened for good after all, congrats

BULLZI likes this.
Post New Thread  Reply