Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > Cooling and Overclocking
Register Forgot Password?

Old 05-06-09   #1
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
D3 nightmare

Rig Gallery
Components???

Can someone please list out the parts required for a cpu watercooling setup for AMD Am2+/AM3 and what each part does. Am getting a bit confused as usual. This is absolutely new for me. I understand what the rad does, but which are the good ones. I understand what the cpu block is, but again which are good. Pump is self explanatory.. and what do the bitspower fittings do and where do we use it? What are barbs. What are the various tube sizes etc etc...any wiki on this somewhere?
Old 05-06-09   #2
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

Rig Gallery

stonedsurd is extremely Renowned
stonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renowned
Re: Components???

Ok, I promised help, so here it is.

Rads - these are the key to heat exchange. Most rads have barely any difference in temperatures. If you're ok with a 1-2 C variance in temp, then Swiftech tends to have the cheapest rads. They're also optimized for low-noise/low-CFM fans. The best rads in the biz are from Swiftech, Thermochill, Feser (TFC), and The Hardware Labs (T HL). Other than these, you can use a heater core from a car (if you wanna get hardore DIY - it looks pretty lousy though )
Another thing to keep in mind with rads are the fittings. The common thread for fittings in the WC world is G1/4" BSPP (British Standard Parallel Pipe). Swiftech uses 1/4" NSPM (tapering) threads, but it doesn't matter because the holes are less than an inch deep. The only company that makes life difficult is Thermochill because they use G3/8". The best rads are probably TFC or Thermochill, which are optimized for higher CFM, while Swiftech is good for VFM and low airflow.

Pumps - Like you said - aint rocket science. Laing/Swiftech is the way to go. Most nowadays use the DDC (MCP355 from Swiftech) but the D5 (MCP655) is as good. Additionally there are pumps from Aquastream (expensive) and Eheim (noisy, expensive, obsolete) as well as DTek and Danger Den. But Laing is the standard these days. They come with a whole bunch of tops to implove flow characterisics. Currently, the XSPC top is the best for the Laing DDC/MCP355.

Fittings - Bitspower is just a company that makes fittings. A lot of others do as well (EK, DTek, Swiftech bla bla). Fittings are what couples the various parts to the tubing. Barbs are these, while compression/rotaries are these. Barbs require a clamp or heat-expanded seals, while compression fittings are self-contained and somewhat more convenient to use.

Tubing - ranges from really thick to really slim. All you need to worry about is two things. The inner diameter (ID) and outer diameter (OD). The most prevalent sizes are 3/8" ID with 5/8"OD or 1/2"ID with OD ranging from 11/16" to 3/4". The 3/8" ID tubing performs a shade worse than the 1/2" ID tubing but is MUCH easier to handle and can make tighter bends without kinking. Since it's smaller it takes up less space in the case as well.

Waterblock - the heart. There are three major choices - Swiftech Apogee GTZ, DTek Fuzion v2 and Heatkiller. The jury's out on which is the very best, because it's a close contest between the Heatkiller and the GTZ. The Fuzion is a very competent block but it does lag behind these two in most tests. There is also the EK Supreme but unless the one with the Delrin/acetal top can be sourced, I would stay away because I've heard horror stories about the acrylic version simply cracking when the barbs are tightened onto it. All of them fit the AM2 socket, but I'm not sure about AM3 as of now. Shouldn't be much different though.

If there's anything else - post away. I'm sure Ad1tya or ShaTTeR will chip in too
stonedsurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09   #3
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
D3 nightmare

Rig Gallery

mav2000 is extemely Distinguished
mav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguished

Thanks dude....that was quite a bit to digest. Now some questions:

1/4"NSPM - what does this connect to. Does this connect to the water tubes directly. I would guess you need the compression fittings between the water tube and the rad and also the cpu block. Now how many such compression fittings do you need totally. Is it needed at the pump.

So my idea on this as of now is:

RES>>Pump>>CPU>>Radiator>>RES

Now where all do the compression fittings come in and secondly, can I fit a rad to the inside top of the CM 590??

Also what about the res?
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09   #4
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

stonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renowned

Res is fairly simple. You need 3 openings - Inlet (from rad), Outlet (to pump) and fill port (to initially fill your cooling loop). You get the Swiftech MCRES for cheap, or the cylindrical EK reservoirs in different sizes.

EVERY component in the loop will need fittings. block, res, pump, rad - ALL. Take a look here (complex, intricate, and very beautiful systems) to get an idea of what LC loops should look like.

RES>>Pump>>CPU>>Radiator>>RES
With this, you'd need a total of 8 fittings (barbs/compression/whatever) along with ideally one fill port.

You could probably fit an MCR220 (Swiftech) into the top of the CM590, but just for the sake of space, I'd recommend bolting it to the top, or trying what ANP did with that box at the bottom.

Last edited by stonedsurd; 05-06-09 at 05:15 PM. Reason: wrong number of fittings :P
Old 05-06-09   #5
Heligoland
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Hibernating.

SidK!! is highly FamedSidK!! is highly FamedSidK!! is highly FamedSidK!! is highly FamedSidK!! is highly FamedSidK!! is highly FamedSidK!! is highly FamedSidK!! is highly Famed

That post was really useful stoney...

actually that would help a lot of members....how about copy pasting it into another thread n making it sticky??

I was commenting on the absurdity of the assumption that Mario>Freeman

To qualify my statement - Mario is an Italian immigrant plumber who spends his life chasing a dame who refuses to let him bang her.

Freeman is a physicist who saves the world (multiple times) with a crowbar. And he manages to get Alyx Vance to fall in love with him without needing mushrooms, stars or jumping on enemies.
SidK!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09   #6
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

I'll do the needful as this discussion progresses. Compile ALL the useful info in one place once it's all out there. I'm still waiting fro Ad1, ANP and all to check in.
Old 05-06-09   #7
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
A new Start, I hope

Rig Gallery

ShaTTeR is highly FamedShaTTeR is highly FamedShaTTeR is highly FamedShaTTeR is highly FamedShaTTeR is highly FamedShaTTeR is highly FamedShaTTeR is highly FamedShaTTeR is highly Famed

Stoney has Summed up almost everything. Anp and Ad1 Will come out with more stuff. After all they have much more experience than us.

Gaming Devices :Razer Deathadder // Razer Goliathus // Razer Lycosa // Steel series Siberia //
Logitech Dual action Pad // Sennheiser HD448
Portable : iPhone 2G // SM MP21 // Motorola Milestone // iPhone 3GS // Denon ACH-C710 // Cannon 1000D

Reviews
:
Team Xtreem 4GB Kit Review // Razer Deathadder Review // Sound Magics MP21 Review // Rise of the fallen

ShaTTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09   #8
⎝ᄽ⏝⏠⎠
Community Coordinator
Procreating =8)~

hawk is extremely Renowned
hawk is extremely Renownedhawk is extremely Renowned

Awesomely put Stoney .. itching to sticky this thread

Ashish, Rads like Thermochill come with fittings .. U can choose between the 3/8 and 1/2 ID (Internal Diameter) U can choose according to the tube U go for. I used 3/8, all over.

For the pump, it again depends upon the pump U get .. and if U add tops or not .. the most popular, MCP655 is good to go with the 3/8" tubing.

The flow should be more like RES/T-Line > Pump > RAD > CPU > RES and the compression fittings will be attached to .. whatever that needs it

U can clearly see, the CPU n GPU blocks already have the 3/8 barbs

.. the NB was 1/2 so I had to use 3/8 to 1/2 fitting .. something like this:

to fit with the 3/8 tubing

Fitting a RAD inside a cabby totally depends upon the RAD and the Cabby

I had a mighty tough time fitting a PA120.3 in a Cosmos S ... couldn't do it on the top and had to finally put it in the front, like this

If U are looking for a RAD to fit the 590, I suggest U search the WCing section of XS for 590

EDIT: All the pics are high res
4770K @ stock | ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO | GSkill TridentX 16GB @ 2400 (10-12-12-31) | ASUS GTX 770 DC2 OC | Samsung 840 pro 256GB | Seasonic X850W 80+ Gold | OCing, after I get the CPU HS & Cabby... and so, this section is still under construction...!

Last edited by hawk; 05-06-09 at 06:07 PM.
hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09   #9
Heligoland
Hibernating.

SidK!! is highly FamedSidK!! is highly FamedSidK!! is highly FamedSidK!! is highly FamedSidK!! is highly FamedSidK!! is highly FamedSidK!! is highly FamedSidK!! is highly Famed

^^
Awesomness hawk!!!
Old 05-06-09   #10
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
D3 nightmare

Rig Gallery

mav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguishedmav2000 is extemely Distinguished

Thanks guys...I would probably go for a 120.2 rad as I am only planning to use it for the cpu as of now. ANyway need to gather some funds before I start this project. Anyway which equipment would you go for in all the above:

1. Rad
2. Pump
3. Res
4. CPU Block
5. Fittings
6. Tubes
7. Coolant

I want to fit the rad to the top of the case from the inside and then look at the pump and res in the front under the HDD. I saw some pretty cool cylinder type res which looks uber cool.
Old 06-06-09   #11
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

You forgot a budget

And the res you saw was probably the EK one I mentioned
Old 06-06-09   #12
Heligoland
Hibernating.

Stoney. how much do da cheapest WC'ing componenets cost??,
Old 06-06-09   #13
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
D3 nightmare

Rig Gallery

Yup cheap and best.....i know that may not be possible, so say something like 15-20k??
Old 06-06-09   #14
Heligoland
Hibernating.

^^
omg
Old 06-06-09   #15
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
D3 nightmare

Rig Gallery

SO is this all I need or am I missing something...please let me know any changes too.

BTW going to Indonesia on Monday...anyone have any idea if its worth getting stuff from there and where so I go?

Post New Thread  Reply