Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > Cooling and Overclocking
Register Forgot Password?

Old 29-12-10   #1
teh spamm[E]R!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
I havent set my status yet.

Rig Gallery
BYOC Benching - Insulation for DICE/LN2 Tutorial & Results

BYOC Benching - Insulation for DICE/LN2 Tutorial & Results

So the past few days were a bit hectic and didnt get time to do a writeup. But now that I have managed a few minutes so let me writeup a small tutorial for E members to introduce them to the nuances of Extreme Overclocking. I know not many members are looking to jump to extreme overclocking, and a few who are interested are from Delhi and have attended benching sessions with me but what the heck, tutorials are always good.

The most important part of Extreme Overclocking is preparation, though I myself am lazy and am never prepared these days, . But when I started with Extreme Overclocking, I certainly was as prepared as circumstances would have allowed. Preparation can mean a lot of different stuff so lets see what all you should have already prepared.

Hardware - CPU, Mobo, Ram, Thermometer which can measure in negative.
OS - Though you can use a regular OS, but will suggest Stripped XP and Vista 32 bit OS ( yes, x86 is better than x64 for benching, as is Vista when compared to Win7)
BIOS - This is very crucial, before jumping on benching under extreme cold, one must be aware of the platform and its different nitty-gritties. Everytime I have jumped directly to benching, I have only met with sub-par results. So take note and be sure you know of all BIOS option which effect results.
Insulation - Another very crucial step, if your insulation is comprehensive then more often than not, you will have a smooth session. There are different ways of Insulating motherboard, VGA, but I will ofcourse cover the way I insulate. Its easy and still does it job very well.

Cant really create a single Tutorial for Hardware, OS and BIOS hence we will start with Insulating the motherboard. Will add VGA insulation guide later.

INSULATION

Now there are various methods of Insulating the board. One can use Conformal Coating/Dielectric Grease/ Nail Polish/ Art eraser and my favourite Vaseline. But whatever material you are using, make sure to cover the area around the socket with Vaseline, turn the mobo down and cover even the base with Vaseline or as in the picture below art eraser.

Next Step is to make sure there are no air gaps, no air means no freezing, no freezing means no water. So this is pretty crucial. Neoprene is used for this step. Cut Neoprene sheets so that the CPU pot can actually contact the CPU and the CPU socket area is well covered.

We now put some paper towels or paper napkins to catch any water dripping from the top of the Pot. And remember at the top there will always be some water formation. So be generous with those napkins,

Time to put the Pot in place and secure it,

Now lets get to the BYOC event. Gigabyte graciously sponsored us with 3 motherboards for the event. Below are the list of hardware that we benched during the event.

1 x Gigabyte GA-P55-UD6
1 x Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD7
1 x Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 (Unfortunately pins were all bent when I recieved it, hence there was no 980X benching during the event)
1 x Intel i5 680 ES
1 x Intel i7 980X
1 x Nvidia GTX580
Strontium 2000Mhz CL9 kit
Kingston Hyper X 2000Mhz CL8 kit
CoolerMaster Silent Pro 1000W
CoolerMaster Bench Table

Now without a x58 setup 3d benchmarks would have been very weak but still had to do it. But here goes the results. Remember I was not trying to go for the max but this was only for demonstration for gamers in the Live Event. Be assured that there is much more to come in the coming weeks when I would be benching the GTX580 under Liquid Nitrogen

1) 6300Mhz with Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD7

2) 6440Mhz with Gigabyte GA-P55-UD6 - #4 680 on hwbot

3) Wprime 1024 - 259.694 @5824Mhz - #3 in its category on hwbot.org

4) Wprime 32m - 7.738s @ 6156Mhz - #4 on hwbot.org in its category

Now some 3D Tests

Overall the demonstration was pretty good with many gamers showing interest. We hope to continue and build upon the event in the near future.

Below are some pictures of the setup, also posted in the other BYOC related thread.

Maximus V Gene (MSI Z77-GD65, Gigabyte P67A-UD7, EVGA Classified E760,MSI Eclipse,DFI DK P45 Plus, Foxconn Mars, Asus P5Ne-SLI, Asus P5B Deluxe/Wifi AP), Intel 3770k Benched @ 6.7Ghz, Intel 2600K Benched @ 5.7 Ghz, AMD 8150 Benched @ 7.45 Ghz, Intel 980X Benched @ 6.07Ghz, AMD 970BE Benched @ 6.63Ghz, (Intel i5 680 Benched @ 6.44Ghz, Intel i7 950 Benched @ 5150Mhz, Intel E8600 Benched @ 5.71Ghz, Intel QX9650 Benched @5.41Ghz, Intel Core2 Duo E8400@4.6Ghz, e4300 @ 3.52 Ghz), Thermalright Venomous X, GSkill 6400 2 x 1 GB @ 1260Mhz , HIS 7970 (MSI GTX 580, MSI GTX 480, EVGA GTX295, Asus 4870 x2, EVGA 9800GX2, Visiontek 3870 x2, XFX 8800GT, Nvidia 7900GTX, XFX 8600GT), DELL E248WFP Monitor, CoolerMaster Benchtable, Antec HCP 1200W, Altec Lansing 641 400 RMS Watts with Auzentech X-Plosion

SVGTECH HOC40 and HOC20 Review

Corsair Vengeance K90, M90 and M60 Review

Gigabyte P67 UD7 + Intel i7 2600k Preview

Strontium Ultra Speed 128GB SSD Review

Gigabyte GX-X58A-UD9 Review

Last edited by vijayninel; 30-12-10 at 12:33 PM.
thebanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-10   #2
Most Valued [E]onian
Most Valued [E]onian
-

Rig Gallery

Free Radical is extemely Distinguished
Free Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely Distinguished
Re: BYOC Benching - Insulation for DICE/LN2 Tutorial & Results

Cool invention dude

Nice job. One of these days, I am gonna catch you in action and leech all this gyan from you

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear x-rays, and I wanna, I wanna smell dark matter!
Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly, because I have to, I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting, spoken language. But I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me!
I'm a machine, and I could know much more, I could experience so much more, but I'm trapped in this absurd body!
And why?! Because my...creators thought that "God" wanted it that way.
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-10   #3
teh spamm[E]R!

Rig Gallery

thebanik is extemely Distinguished
thebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguished

Originally Posted by Free Radical View Post
Cool invention dude

Nice job. One of these days, I am gonna catch you in action and leech all this gyan from you
Yeah, please feel free to pull my leg,
Old 29-12-10   #4
Most Valued [E]onian
Most Valued [E]onian
-

Rig Gallery

Free Radical is extemely Distinguished
Free Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely Distinguished

Honest man. I meant respect for the work you are doing
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-10   #5
Konkey Dong
Lawlz?

ViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply Great

Wow nice session...too bad i missed it again
Old 04-01-11   #6
Jak
teh nuB!
Enjoying life

Jak is sickeningly Dreadful

u are awesome buddy, keep up the good work.....
| CM HAF X | Zotac GTX580 | 60 GB OCZ VERTEX 3, 4x500 GB RAID10(Seagate 7200.12), RAZOR DA 3500dpi, Optiarc AD-7240S, DELL S2409W 24" monitor
UPS: APC SUA2200UXI(with 4x100Ah Amron Quanta batteries)
DELL INSPIRON 1464 Laptop:
Corei3-330M, 2x2GB Crucial DDR3 RAM and ATI HD4330.

Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11   #7
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Psychologizing.

Godlike! is highly AdmirableGodlike! is highly AdmirableGodlike! is highly AdmirableGodlike! is highly AdmirableGodlike! is highly Admirable

Great! The session was great fun and learning experience. Enjoyed it thoroughly

Godlike! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11   #8
Xeo
Th[E] Troll
Papa Donger

Xeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply GreatXeo is simply Great

@Banik: Damn you are influential.
Look at this, came across when I was playing ME2.
Bannik - Mass Effect Wiki - Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, walkthroughs and more
OC'ed planets? What next?! O_o
o_O
Superb job, very few people have actually used LN2 to OC, this might help them get started.
GTX580 Twin Frozr II
Silent Pro M700
Tempest 410 Elite
Xeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11   #9
teh nuB!
[E]onian
/dev/null

adizz is very Notable

Awesome stuff there, I thought the boards would be given away to erodov members randomly .
Intel i5 8400||ASUS TUF B360-PLUS||8G Corsair Vengeance||Corsair TX650 V2||Sapphire Nitro+ RX580||Kingston UV400 240G + WD Black 500G + 1T ST||Aopen 24HC1QR||Razer DA 3.5G on Goliathus Fragged||RK61 Brown switches||Corsair Carbide 400R
adizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-11   #10
teh spamm[E]R!

Rig Gallery

thebanik is extemely Distinguished
thebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguished

Originally Posted by adizz View Post
Awesome stuff there, I thought the boards would be given away to erodov members randomly .
All the boards are set to be returned to Gigabyte today,
Old 15-01-11   #11
teh nuB!
[E]onian
/dev/null

adizz is very Notable

Originally Posted by thebanik View Post

WHAT? You're gonna give it back? What do they do with boards loaded with vaseline and kneaded eraser sticking on it. Don't tell me they sell it as a refurb.
nvm I think it happens only here, I've never seen anybody take back a sponsored product.
adizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-11   #12
teh spamm[E]R!

Rig Gallery

wingzero is extremely Renowned
wingzero is extremely Renownedwingzero is extremely Renownedwingzero is extremely Renownedwingzero is extremely Renownedwingzero is extremely Renowned

Amazing job banik. Well done

Guides n Reviews :
wingzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-11   #13
Lead Lead
Administrator
12 years a admin!

Rig Gallery

KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!
KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!

Sweet mother of all things good and nice

KiD0M4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-11   #14
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
Social Status = Fail !

harryneopotter is extremely Renowned
harryneopotter is extremely Renownedharryneopotter is extremely Renownedharryneopotter is extremely Renowned

Originally Posted by thebanik View Post
<Marsupial> Chandler got bit by a radioactive spider and shot a web at Phoebe, and then it emailed me.
harryneopotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Hours Ago   #15
teh nuB!

jeccy777u is Mysterious

hi
you are talking about , i think you can do this , or for more you have to contact google , thanks
-----------

Best Shooting Games
jeccy777u is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply