Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > General Hardware and Peripherals
Register Forgot Password?

Old 18-04-10   #1
Most Valued [E]onian
Most Valued [E]onian
-

Rig Gallery
Icon13 Buying a Retail Kingston Flash Drive with Warranty is as good as one with no warranty

Let me inaugurate this new subforum with my harrowing experience with Kingston's "warranty".

I had procured a retail 2GB Kingston DataTraveller 100 on March 10th, 2009 which carries 5 year warranty as depicted in the following scans of the original sealed packing it came in.

(Yes I retain the packing)

Shortly after an year of use, the pen drive stopped being detected in Windows.
I attribute this to wear and tear as I do use my pen drives frequently.

I promptly gave it for RMA through SMC. The RMA request was denied attributing it to physical damage
During my use, the pen drive never left my desktop drawer and has never been carried out of my home. It was only used for booting windows setup / bartpe.
I have never ever even dropped the pen drive, but if Kingston pen drives are as prone to physical damage in a desk drawer (which I doubt is even the case here), they simply make inferior products and complement it with non-existent warranty and dicey service.

Now whats more interesting is the fact that I even own a Corsair Flash Voyager 4GB which had died one month after my Kingston.

As Sachin / harryneopotter will bear witness, (he had accompanied me), I had submitted both my pen drives, the Corsair and the Kingston at their respective service centers on the same day. But... but, when I went to the Corsair Service Center in Nehru Place, the good lady there promptly hooked my defective Corsair Flash Voyager to her desktop, checked its warranty by serial number (I had offered her to look at the bill but she said it was not needed), and gave me a brand new sealed replacement that very moment!

I hanged around a couple of minutes to get a printed receipt. All this took a max 10 minutes with the Corsair.

However, I only got word from the guys who handle Kingston's warranty after almost 3 weeks that my drive had suffered physical damage.

You all can comprehend my displeasure at this.

I would never recommend anyone to buy a Kingston flash drive as their warranty counts to nothing.

They make flimsy products which never last their intended product cycle and then they decline an RMA citing petty reasons.

Sure even a 10 year warranty rugged, Corsair Flash Voyager didn't last 2 and a half years of usage at my hands, but apparently Kingston's products and warranty won't do you any good.

Thankfully, a pen drive doesn't cost much but it speaks a lot about the ethos of the company and the people behind it.

Corsair

Kingston

You not only lost a pen drive customer but even a prospective RAM buyer.
I know I won't buy anything from Kingston again. The rest of you can take your pick.

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear x-rays, and I wanna, I wanna smell dark matter!
Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly, because I have to, I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting, spoken language. But I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me!
I'm a machine, and I could know much more, I could experience so much more, but I'm trapped in this absurd body!
And why?! Because my...creators thought that "God" wanted it that way.

Last edited by Free Radical; 18-04-10 at 10:18 AM.
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-10   #2
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble
Re: Buying a Retail Kingston Flash Drive with Warranty is As Good As No Warranty

That is actually bad, I mean the reaction and the non fulfilment of the warranty of your pen drive.
I liked Kingston in the early years of its availability in India only for their Value Rams... never bought stuff from then again, will advice more people not to buy Kingston products.
Thanks for sharing the info.
and Yeah I only have Corsair pen drives now and I am simply floored that they even send the caps FREE to your doorstep if you fill up a form on their website.

ManISinJpr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-10   #3
Most Valued [E]onian
Most Valued [E]onian
-

Rig Gallery

Free Radical is extemely Distinguished
Free Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely Distinguished
Re: Buying a Retail Kingston Flash Drive with Warranty is as good as one with no warr

AND they swap their defective product no questions asked....literally.
I experienced it first hand.
Old 18-04-10   #4
Unelected
Staff
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent
Re: Buying a Retail Kingston Flash Drive with Warranty is as good as one with no warr

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us Free Radical. This will be useful to us while making purchase decisions.

Corsair products are generally on the higher end of the price range but it seems that it may be worth the price.
Old 18-04-10   #5
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
trolling around

baba doga is Notable

thanks for sharing.

does corsair make large capacity usb drives? like 320giggers?
baba doga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-10   #6
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
(╯°□°)

kauffmann is simply Greatkauffmann is simply Greatkauffmann is simply Greatkauffmann is simply Greatkauffmann is simply Greatkauffmann is simply Greatkauffmann is simply Greatkauffmann is simply Greatkauffmann is simply Greatkauffmann is simply Greatkauffmann is simply Greatkauffmann is simply Great

Thanks for sharing your experience, I'll surely be buying Corsair from now on. Btw, who handles Kingston RMA?
PC: AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000+ @ 2.7Ghz - Cooled by OCZ Vendetta 2 - ECS 8200A Motherboard - 4GB DDR2 RAM - XFX Nvidia Gefore 9800GT - 1TB HDD (WD Caviar Blue 640GB + Seagate 500GB) - DVD-RW - Packed in CoolerMaster Elite 335 chassis. Laptop (Dell Studio 15):Intel Core2Duo T8100 - 3GB DDR2 RAM - ATi 4250 HD - 320GB HDD - DVD-RW and the works. Gadgets: iPhone 3GS 32GB - Dell Axim x51v PDA (Up for sale) - Philips VOIP 841 Skype Handset - Logitech Cordless Skype Handset (Up for sale) - Panasonic Lumix TZ7 Camera.

My country! In thy days of glory past
A beauteous halo circled round thy brow and worshipped as a deity thou wast—
Where is thy glory, where the reverence now? Thy eagle pinion is chained down at last,
And grovelling in the lowly dust art thou, Thy minstrel hath no wreath to weave for thee
Save the sad story of thy misery! Well—let me dive into the depths of time
And bring from out the ages, that have rolled, A few small fragments of these wrecks sublime
Which human eye may never more behold
And let the guerdon of my labour be,
My fallen country! One kind wish for thee!
- To my native land by Henry Louis Vivian Derozio
kauffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-10   #7
Most Valued [E]onian
Most Valued [E]onian
-

Rig Gallery

Free Radical is extemely Distinguished
Free Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely Distinguished

Accel
Old 18-04-10   #8
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
(╯°□°)

kauffmann is simply Greatkauffmann is simply Greatkauffmann is simply Greatkauffmann is simply Greatkauffmann is simply Greatkauffmann is simply Greatkauffmann is simply Greatkauffmann is simply Greatkauffmann is simply Greatkauffmann is simply Greatkauffmann is simply Greatkauffmann is simply Great

no wonder, really. I gave my Seagate IDE HDD for RMA and trust me, it's in a FUBAR'd condition, they simply returned it back saying that it passed their tests, so its working fine.
kauffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-10   #9
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
trolling around

baba doga is Notable

^ hope you have a paper trail. next thing to do is to pay them another visit with a little more firm attitude. another refusal and we'll take it forward from there. of course, paper trail most necessary.
baba doga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-10   #10
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

^^ You are right, I had a 500 GB HDD which was showing spin retry error count on the higher side, I took it to Accel and they took it, after 15 days they returned it saying it was fine !!
then I gave it back again, again the same thing.
Next time, I went there and shouted a little ( I mean less than a LOT ) and it was changed in 7 days flat and a new one was sent to me
The power of Nuisance is worshipped in India, unfortunately.
ManISinJpr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-10   #11
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

Rig Gallery

JD666 is highly ProminentJD666 is highly ProminentJD666 is highly Prominent

never had a chance to try corsair, but i swear by sandisk when it comes to Pen drives, fast and reliable. Kingston ive got a few lying around, but they slow down over a period of time.
JD666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-10   #12
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
Of what was everything..

WolVerInE is simply GreatWolVerInE is simply GreatWolVerInE is simply GreatWolVerInE is simply GreatWolVerInE is simply GreatWolVerInE is simply GreatWolVerInE is simply GreatWolVerInE is simply GreatWolVerInE is simply GreatWolVerInE is simply Great

Thanx FR .. I'll be on corsair or sandisk from now and will tell my friends too.
Audio - Altec Lansing V2621, Creative EP 630, Ultrasone HFI 780 .
Display - Dell S2409W :nicemonitor:
Gaming Stuff
- Razer Lycosa , Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Destructor, Roccat Kone
Android - Google Nexus S [Super AMOLED]
Originally Posted by Ad1tya View Post
Yes, but the ZTE Blade is cheaper than the Nexus S with "same customizability and tweakability".
- FAIL !
WolVerInE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-10   #13
Konkey Dong
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Lawlz?

ViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply GreatViKiD is simply Great

I Just went Corsair myself!
Old 21-04-10   #14
teh priesT!
[E]onian
-_-

Rig Gallery

mavihs is highly Reputablemavihs is highly Reputablemavihs is highly Reputablemavihs is highly Reputable

does corsair change physically damaged pen drives?
mavihs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-10   #15
Lead Lead
Staff
I havent set my status yet.

Rig Gallery

KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!
KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!

Originally Posted by mavihs View Post
does corsair change physically damaged pen drives?
I wouldn't be surprised if that is rejected.

KiD0M4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply