Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Sports and Fitness
Register Forgot Password?

Old 13-01-15   #1
teh nuB!
I havent set my status yet.

Buying Olympic Barbell

Hi All,

i am looking to buy Olympic Barbell. have checked out some local barbells made in Jalandhar but they dont feel sturdy.
they were priced 2k and 3.4K resp, guy was confused when i asked him what weights these bar can take. in end he said 200kg easily.

which brands are good to buy for Barbell?
laliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-15   #2
the rocK!
[E]onian
Nordic

Rig Gallery

Rockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly Famed
Re: Buying Olympic Barbell

I was in the same situation some months ago. We don't have much options here. I went ahead with a Rs. 2400 local 7 feet bar. The best powerlifting bar in the world is available near your city:

Swatantra Stores Rakesh Walia+91-9814082569+91-175-2202800
Sherawala Gate, Near Vip Opticala, Patiala - 147001, Punjab, India

But it will cost a BOMB!

Next and possible option is Nelco:

Nelco Sports

Originally Posted by laliz View Post
Hi All,

i am looking to buy Olympic Barbell. have checked out some local barbells made in Jalandhar but they dont feel sturdy.
they were priced 2k and 3.4K resp, guy was confused when i asked him what weights these bar can take. in end he said 200kg easily.

which brands are good to buy for Barbell?
ManISinJpr likes this.
i5 4440 - H81 - 4X2 GB - 128 GB SSD - R7 240 - L42ET60D / S2240L - 3 TB - TinAudio T2 - M40X - FiiO E10 - Kali Audio LP6/Swans M50 W - Anker Spirit X - JBL Flip 4 - Xonar DX - Fenvi WiFi/BT 5 - VS350 - Carbide 400R
Rockfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-15   #3
teh nuB!

laliz is Mysterious

Thanks , i will check Swatantra store today.that place is like 40kms from my home. other option right now is challenger barbell for which i have been quoted 20K

Originally Posted by Rockfella View Post
I was in the same situation some months ago. We don't have much options here. I went ahead with a Rs. 2400 local 7 feet bar. The best powerlifting bar in the world is available near your city:

Swatantra Stores Rakesh Walia+91-9814082569+91-175-2202800
Sherawala Gate, Near Vip Opticala, Patiala - 147001, Punjab, India

But it will cost a BOMB!

Next and possible option is Nelco:

Nelco Sports
Old 13-01-15   #4
the rocK!
[E]onian
Nordic

Rig Gallery

Rockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly FamedRockfella is highly Famed

They are official distri/importer of Eleiko. That bar costs a lakh. Just get a cheap one unless you plan to lift 150 kgs plus regularly. What are your goals?
Thanks , i will check Swatantra store today.that place is like 40kms from my home. other option right now is challenger barbell for which i have been quoted 20K
Old 13-01-15   #5
teh nuB!

laliz is Mysterious

i like compound lifts so plan is to setup a home gym where i can perform squat/deadlift etc. if a normal bar can take weights upto 150kg then i can go for it. max i have done is 110kg on deadlift.

got a reply from nelco, they gave a dealer address in Chandigarh. time to pay them a Visit too. if it is priced upwards of 15K then i will buy the local 3400 bar and upgrade if i outgrow the bar . plan is to add benches or maybe squat rack or Smith Machine too. cant afford to spend too much upfront.

They are official distri/importer of Eleiko. That bar costs a lakh. Just get a cheap one unless you plan to lift 150 kgs plus regularly. What are your goals?
Old 14-01-15   #6
the rocK!
[E]onian
Nordic

Rig Gallery

I got mine for Rs. 2400 Karol bagh New Delhi, probably made in Ludhiana. Can you show me pic of the 3400 rs you are talking about?
Keep us posted about Nelco bar. I might get one too. The one I have right now acts like a bamboo with 100 kgs.
i like compound lifts so plan is to setup a home gym where i can perform squat/deadlift etc. if a normal bar can take weights upto 150kg then i can go for it. max i have done is 110kg on deadlift.

got a reply from nelco, they gave a dealer address in Chandigarh. time to pay them a Visit too. if it is priced upwards of 15K then i will buy the local 3400 bar and upgrade if i outgrow the bar . plan is to add benches or maybe squat rack or Smith Machine too. cant afford to spend too much upfront.
Old 14-01-15   #7
teh nuB!

laliz is Mysterious

rs 3400 Barbell i am talking of is the cheapest they have here, sorry coudnt get the picture. Most guys here have two types of barbell in 7ft length, one weights 15kg and other 20kg , priced at 2k and 3.4K .. the bar is chromed ,that is what i can figure out, sleeves (end rotating where weights go) is having a allen key bolt at end.knurling seems roughly done, finishing is quite average.

i got another quote from a guy in jalandhar, he is asking 3200 for the same olympic bar but difference is this guy produces his own stuff, says his bar can take 400kg which i highly doubt but his Smith machines look sturdy, claims to have helped built 500 gyms across india too. his website is www.syndicategym.com

Today i visited the Nelco bar guy at Prime Sports , Prime sport sent me to another shop which has their dedicated fitness setup Prime Sports
SCF-10, Sector 7-C,
Chandigarh 160019
Tel: 0172 5012071, 2794619, 2794874
Mob: 9814136953

he said we didnt had the Nelco bar in stock right now, showed me Local made 7ft olympic bar, said we get these from Meerut. asked on what weights this can take, he said easy to go till 100kg.

showed me another bar said it is imported and costs around 12K, i asked him why is it so costly? he mentioned heat treated or something which i coudnt fully understand. also he said if we put 200kg on it , it will bend but will regain the shape just like a Bow (didnt had a look at bar as it was all wrapped up, i think no-one buys them here so they dont even care to open packing).

As these Local Bars can take weight of 100kg so for now i am getting the local bar , will upgrade in 6 month when i am past my beginner gains

I got mine for Rs. 2400 Karol bagh New Delhi, probably made in Ludhiana. Can you show me pic of the 3400 rs you are talking about?
Keep us posted about Nelco bar. I might get one too. The one I have right now acts like a bamboo with 100 kgs.
Rockfella likes this.
Old 15-01-15   #8
the rocK!
[E]onian
Nordic

Rig Gallery

How is that Challenger bar? Any linkies for product info?
Which power rack you plan to buy? My home gym for your reference. Photo is old. I got better bench and weight tree now. Rack is placed in a better corner of house. Can help you procure.

rs 3400 Barbell i am talking of is the cheapest they have here, sorry coudnt get the picture. Most guys here have two types of barbell in 7ft length, one weights 15kg and other 20kg , priced at 2k and 3.4K .. the bar is chromed ,that is what i can figure out, sleeves (end rotating where weights go) is having a allen key bolt at end.knurling seems roughly done, finishing is quite average.

i got another quote from a guy in jalandhar, he is asking 3200 for the same olympic bar but difference is this guy produces his own stuff, says his bar can take 400kg which i highly doubt but his Smith machines look sturdy, claims to have helped built 500 gyms across india too. his website is www.syndicategym.com

Today i visited the Nelco bar guy at Prime Sports , Prime sport sent me to another shop which has their dedicated fitness setup Prime Sports
SCF-10, Sector 7-C,
Chandigarh 160019
Tel: 0172 5012071, 2794619, 2794874
Mob: 9814136953

he said we didnt had the Nelco bar in stock right now, showed me Local made 7ft olympic bar, said we get these from Meerut. asked on what weights this can take, he said easy to go till 100kg.

showed me another bar said it is imported and costs around 12K, i asked him why is it so costly? he mentioned heat treated or something which i coudnt fully understand. also he said if we put 200kg on it , it will bend but will regain the shape just like a Bow (didnt had a look at bar as it was all wrapped up, i think no-one buys them here so they dont even care to open packing).

As these Local Bars can take weight of 100kg so for now i am getting the local bar , will upgrade in 6 month when i am past my beginner gains

---------- Post added at 07:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 AM ----------

Found it:

Powerlifting Barbell for Sale |*Challenge Barbell – India's No. 1 Certified Weightlifting Powerlifting Barbell Set & Bumper Set Manufacturer and Exporter

Olympic Lifting Barbell for Men |*Challenge Barbell – India's No. 1 Certified Weightlifting Powerlifting Barbell Set & Bumper Set Manufacturer and Exporter
ManISinJpr likes this.

Last edited by Rockfella; 15-01-15 at 07:25 AM.
Old 15-01-15   #9
teh nuB!

laliz is Mysterious

Challenge bar is not available locally for me to see. they are located in West bengal but photos shown on Facebook page shows the bar being used in various international competitions, guys putting 300kgs on the bars so they indeed are good bars also certified by one australian asociation. they sells it overeas too , 300 euros for the bar. https://www.facebook.com/challengeequip

Nice Smith Machine you got there. i want setup like this in near future.with that kind of machine we can easily go for heavy weights too.
yes i will be looking for it soon let me get this barbell thing first.

Syndicate gym has this Smith Machine at 48K
https://www.facebook.com/gymmanufact...type=3&theater

today i will check Decathlon and the imported bar at prime fitness again. Decathlon had Olympic bars a year ago. their quality seemed good but at that time i didnt beleived to buy a olympic bar for 5k or something.

also at what price you got the Olympic plates? people here quote anything from 150 to 250 per kg for imported plates and 85rs/kg for the iron plates. i saw Gofit.com selling 116kg olympic weights for around 5-6K on their website but i think their rubber quality doesnt seem that good and images uploaded of product were not hi-resolution either.

How is that Challenger bar? Any linkies for product info?

Which power rack you plan to buy? My home gym for your reference. Photo is old. I got better bench and weight tree now. Rack is placed in a better corner of house. Can help you procure.

---------- Post added at 07:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 AM ----------

Found it:

Powerlifting Barbell for Sale |*Challenge Barbell India's No. 1 Certified Weightlifting Powerlifting Barbell Set & Bumper Set Manufacturer and Exporter

Olympic Lifting Barbell for Men |*Challenge Barbell India's No. 1 Certified Weightlifting Powerlifting Barbell Set & Bumper Set Manufacturer and Exporter
Old 15-01-15   #10
the rocK!
[E]onian
Nordic

Rig Gallery

It is not a smith machine, it is a power rack. A Smith machine is 3-5 times more costly and the best use of it is to keep towels on it during workouts You can hammer a nail in the wall for that purpose. No need to buy Smith machine.

I got the plates for Rs. 140 AFAIR. Decent quality. Jetking is the brand.
Old 15-01-15   #11
teh nuB!

laliz is Mysterious

you will not beleive what happened today i feel so lucky.

went to Decathlon to check the olympic bars, there werent any on Display, so asked the attendant over there, he said they have sale going on for olympic bar as noone buys them, he mentioned price as 1200 INR , i was like WTF.. for sure this guy is Bluffing.

i asked him how much this bar can take and other technical specs, he said it can take 100kgs. that got me dissapointed as i would have to upgrade later. then he said let me confirm with my senior .then i had look at the bar ,the label mentioned Imported in jan 2014 and price as 7K. then the Sales guy returned and mentioned it can take upto 250 Kg.i asked them whether they make their own bars, to which guy replied no, we have Vendors and they supply us these.i asked about warranty and he said the Olympic Bar have 2 year warranty on bending , i was like Holy f*ck! 250kg load and 2 year warranty!! what more can i want.my friend had bought a cycle from Decathlon and it was one of best Entry level cycle (much better than hero or other Indian Brands which get rusted pretty soon) so i was sure they have good stuff. i took same friend and brainwashed him to buy one barbell too.

another shocker came at Billing as it was billed for 998rs INR Each.. Damn Awesume.i was all smiles...

will upload the pictures and bill into picasa or something and share here.Initial Impression is it feels good finished and is chromed . this bar has much better finish than Energizer brand and all local Made Bars we have seen in last 2 weeks, it has knurles for neck in centre. havent to remove it from packing yet. thought to update it here first.

Decathlon has one more piece left at same price..
Bill mentions brand as Barre Olmpique ,did some googling and here is decathlon site's page in france which mentions 5 year warranty and 250kg load capacity , need olympic discs of 50mm ? that can be single most issue https://translate.google.com/transla...d_8014370.html

Edit:- did some more research and here is snapdeal selling it for some 7.7K , no reviews though.. http://www.snapdeal.com/product/domy...ars/1675927205 also Domyo is Decathlon's brand.
also 50mm olympic plates are available online, http://www.gofitindia.com/index.php?...oduct_id=30456

My Initial review after unwrapping it, chrome is excellent and knurling is top notch. only issue i can find is roller noise when i rotate the bar-ends., might be it require oiling or something
here are pics https://plus.google.com/101801568790...68790007280408 , total 6 pics, clicked indoors so quality is on bad side.

i liked your Squat rack, i am in lookout of one now. please guide

It is not a smith machine, it is a power rack. A Smith machine is 3-5 times more costly and the best use of it is to keep towels on it during workouts You can hammer a nail in the wall for that purpose. No need to buy Smith machine.

I got the plates for Rs. 140 AFAIR. Decent quality. Jetking is the brand.
Rockfella and ManISinJpr like this.

Last edited by laliz; 15-01-15 at 09:18 PM. Reason: adding picture links
Old 15-01-15   #12
the rocK!
[E]onian
Nordic

Rig Gallery

You lucky dawg! congos! YGPM.

went to Decathlon to check the olympic bars, there werent any on Display, so asked the attendant over there, he said they have sale going on for olympic bar as noone buys them, he mentioned price as 1200 INR , i was like WTF.. for sure this guy is Bluffing.

i asked him how much this bar can take and other technical specs, he said it can take 100kgs. that got me dissapointed as i would have to upgrade later. then he said let me confirm with my senior .then i had look at the bar ,the label mentioned Imported in jan 2014 and price as 7K. then the Sales guy returned and mentioned it can take upto 250 Kg.i asked them whether they make their own bars, to which guy replied no, we have Vendors and they supply us these.i asked about warranty and he said the Olympic Bar have 2 year warranty on bending , i was like Holy f*ck! 250kg load and 2 year warranty!! what more can i want.my friend had bought a cycle from Decathlon and it was one of best Entry level cycle (much better than hero or other Indian Brands which get rusted pretty soon) so i was sure they have good stuff. i took same friend and brainwashed him to buy one barbell too.

another shocker came at Billing as it was billed for 998rs INR Each.. Damn Awesume.i was all smiles...

will upload the pictures and bill into picasa or something and share here.Initial Impression is it feels good finished and is chromed . this bar has much better finish than Energizer brand and all local Made Bars we have seen in last 2 weeks, it has knurles for neck in centre. havent to remove it from packing yet. thought to update it here first.

Bill mentions brand as Barre Olmpique ,did some googling and here is decathlon site's page in france which mentions 5 year warranty and 250kg load capacity , need olympic discs of 50mm ? that can be single most issue https://translate.google.com/transla...d_8014370.html

Edit:- did some more research and here is snapdeal selling it for some 7.7K , no reviews though.. http://www.snapdeal.com/product/domy...ars/1675927205 also Domyo is Decathlon's brand.
also 50mm olympic plates are available online, 117.5 kg OLYMPIC Rubber Weight Plates

My Initial review after unwrapping it, chrome is excellent and knurling is top notch. only issue i can find is roller noise when i rotate the bar-ends., might be it require oiling or something
here are pics https://plus.google.com/101801568790...68790007280408 , total 6 pics, clicked indoors so quality is on bad side.

Old 15-01-15   #13
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

rdst_1 is highly Reputablerdst_1 is highly Reputablerdst_1 is highly Reputablerdst_1 is highly Reputable

also 50mm olympic plates are available online, http://www.gofitindia.com/index.php?...oduct_id=30456

Was this at the Zirakpur or Kharar store?

rdst_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-15   #14
teh nuB!

laliz is Mysterious

Thanks . Effetively i have 2 bars now as i know my friend wount even remove his bar from the packing

You lucky dawg! congos! YGPM.
This was at the Zirakpur store,didnt knew Decathlon is in Mohali too (in North Country Mall, enroute Kharar) , have dropped them a message on FB asking for any similar deals

Zirakpur store completed one year on 31st dec, they had lot of stuff on sale/stock clearance but their promotion is very bad. no advertising anywhere.

Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Was this at the Zirakpur or Kharar store?

Old 16-01-15   #15
teh nuB!

laliz is Mysterious

Visited Mohali Decathlon store today, they had 8 pieces of Barbell but not at discounted prices.
Post New Thread  Reply