Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Sports and Fitness
Register Forgot Password?

Old 26-03-11   #1
Lounge Bug
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Chocolate Salted Balls.

Rig Gallery
Blood Donation & BBing

Hi All,

This particular topic has always given me mixed opinions.

How does the body cope up the blood loss when a person donates the blood?....they say the body 'rejuvenates' and maintains the body..but im not so sure abt it.
The last time i did blood donation was about a year & half back, & i very well remember i did not feel like working out for 2 or 3 days.

Im tryin to figure out how the compensation happens in the body when it senses lack of blood.

Thnx,
BeaN
Old 26-03-11   #2
Banned
I havent set my status yet.

PoPo is Mysterious
Re: Blood Donation & BBing

They take about 300-330 ml of blood. It takes approx 15-17days to make up that loss. So doctors advice not to donate anymore for 20days (20days from tha date of donation). I'm not sure about it, read it in class-8 Biology. We have so many doctors onboard, let's see what they've to say about donation.
Old 26-03-11   #3
Lounge Bug
Chocolate Salted Balls.

Rig Gallery

bean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famed

^what im concerned is how the blood loss is sustained by the body....some fat/muscle or something would get compensated i think..:/
bean_laden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-11   #4
Banned

PoPo is Mysterious

Bone marrow
PoPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-11   #5
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
bleh

Aumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly Admirable

Bone marrow creates blood, and the body generates a lot of new blood. You will feel disoriented after donating blood as your body recuperates and brings the blood level back to normal.
Desktop - Core i5 4670K - 4.2Ghz @ 1.16v | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600 | Gigabyte Z87-D3HP | Sapphire R7 250X 1GB DDR5 | HD555 | Fiio E7 | Ikari Optical | TVS Gold | Samsung 840 Evo 120GB SSD + Seagate 7200.10 500GB | Seagate Expansion 2TB USB3 | BenQ GW2255HM

Mobile - iPhone 5S Gold 16GB - 7.0.3 Jailbroken; Nexus 7 - Stock 4.4.2; Skullcandy Ink'd 2 Headset.
Aumkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-11   #6
Lounge Bug
Chocolate Salted Balls.

Rig Gallery

bean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famedbean_laden is highly Famed

^how is the bone marrow compensated in this case?.... ..
bean_laden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-11   #7
teh nuB!
[E]onian
Atulperx.com

onlinebadmash is very Notable

Originally Posted by PoPo View Post
They take about 300-330 ml of blood. It takes approx 15-17days to make up that loss. So doctors advice not to donate anymore for 20days (20days from tha date of donation). I'm not sure about it, read it in class-8 Biology. We have so many doctors onboard, let's see what they've to say about donation.

Are you sure about this bhai . Because when last time I went to donate blood in AIIMS then Doctor told me - that we must donate blood once in a six months and it is good for health too . I thought it take like 1 to 2 month to refill . But thanks for info ...
onlinebadmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-11   #8
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
bleh

Aumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly AdmirableAumkar is highly Admirable
Originally Posted by bean_laden View Post
^how is the bone marrow compensated in this case?.... ..
At this point, you do one of three things.

1. Ask webmd.
2. Ask Google.
3. Start reading science fiction.

Aumkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-11   #9
Banned

PoPo is Mysterious

Like I said, I'm not sure about it. Read it in class-8 biology and I'm not certain about that Anyways, here's something I found on Facebook :

Facts regarding Blood Donation :

1. Person Above 18 Years Of Age And Over 50 Kgs. In Weight Can Donate Blood Once In Three Month's.

2. A Normal Adult Has Five To Six Liters Of Blood In His/Her Body Of Which Only 300 ML Is Used During Blood Donation.

3. This Blood Is Replaced By Your Body Within 24 to 48 Hours!

4. No Special Diet, Rest Or Medicine Is Required After Blood Donation.

5. The Donor Should Not Have Taken Any Medicine In The Last 48 Hours.

6. The Donor Should Not Have Jaundice In The Previous Three Years.

Every Donor Is Given A Medical Checkup Prior To Donation To See If He/She Is Medically Fit And Doesn't Suffer From Anemia, High Blood Pressure etc.

7. The Donor Should Not Carry AIDS Or Any Other Disease Before Donating.
Make Blood Donation A Habit. There Are Many Person's Including Females Who Has Donated Blood More Than 10 - 20 Times In Their Life.

Some Benefits of Blood Donation :

1. Donating blood may reduce the risk of heart disease for men and stimulate the generation of red blood cells.

2. The amount of toxic chemicals (e.g. mercury, pesticides, fire retardants) circulating in the blood stream is reduced by the amount contained in given blood.

3. The good news is you can give blood again and again to help save more lives!

4. If you're a regular blood donor, you can give blood once in 12 weeks.

Tips for Donating :

1. Please have a good meal at least 3 hours before donating blood.

2. Please accept the snacks offered to you after the donation, it is vital you have them. You are recommended to have a good meal later.

3. Please avoid smoking on the day before donating. You can smoke 3 hours after donation.

4. You will not be eligible to donate blood if you have consumed alcohol 48 hours before donation.
Old 27-03-11   #10
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

It is most inadvisable to try out strenuous exercise shortly after losing a lot of blood. It is the red blood cells (RBC's) which to the body tissues and skeletal muscle via the blood flow through the circulatory system. If you have lesser RBC's then you will have lower oxygen and endurance. This condition is known as anemia.

Blood doping is actually routinely practiced by athletes to cheat in endurance sports. One of the ways of doing this is to take some of your own blood and freeze it. Once the blood levels reach back to normal then you inject the blood back in you. This gives you a high RBC count and thus higher endurance. This is dangerous and can kill you btw.
Old 27-03-11   #11
teh spamm[E]R!
-

Rig Gallery

Free Radical is extemely Distinguished
Free Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely Distinguished

the blood volume is restored within 24 to 48 hours through the interstitial fluid, water retention through urine / reserve fluid shift from interstitial spaces.
the blood pressure is maintained through compensatory /regulatory mechanisms like vasoconstriction of peripheral vessels and decreased urine production.
however the blood cells are restored slowly from your bone marrow over a period of a few days by haematopoiesis.
after donating blood, you are advised to not do any exertion / strenuous exercise for a day or two until the lost blood volume is restored since you may become hypotensive, especially during summers
you should drink plenty of fluids to make up for the lost volume and electrolytes eg. by drinking juices / lemonade, ORS etc.

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear x-rays, and I wanna, I wanna smell dark matter!
Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly, because I have to, I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting, spoken language. But I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me!
I'm a machine, and I could know much more, I could experience so much more, but I'm trapped in this absurd body!
And why?! Because my...creators thought that "God" wanted it that way.
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-11   #12
Banned

PoPo is Mysterious

If this is dangerous, why are you suggesting it then ? Agent Smith is trying to take down some spammers I see
Old 27-03-11   #13
teh spamm[E]R!
-

Rig Gallery

Free Radical is extemely Distinguished
Free Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely Distinguished

with blood doping, due to increased packed cell volume, the person is at risk of stroke and mi due to thromboembolism.
some athletes may even have hocm. fluid overload in such cases besides the extreme strain is a double whammy and this can trigger a heart attack and sudden death.
the idea behind blood doping is that having more red corpuscles in the active circulation provides more oxygen to the exercising muscles, hence it takes longer to cause fatigue and greater stamina but the short term gains are nothing compared to the risks.
autologous blood doping can be quickly detected nowadays but homologous tranfusions are a bit tricky.
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-11   #14
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Originally Posted by PoPo View Post
If this is dangerous, why are you suggesting it then ? Agent Smith is trying to take down some spammers I see
Read the post again. I am not suggesting it, I mentioned it in the context of blood and its role in sports exercise for people who dont know about this. Bodybuilding and doping in sports were areas of my interest so I know a bit about this.

Blood doping is rampant in sports with excess of 99% of Olympic athletes using it to some extent to increase performance. Use of erythropoietin (EPO) which is another form of blood doping can now be detected but more subtler forms cant be detected. Of course if you are lucky and suffer from polycythemia which is naturally high RBC concentrations then you dont have to go through all of that.
vijayninel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-11   #15
teh priesT!
[E]onian
make love not war

megan is highly Admirablemegan is highly Admirablemegan is highly Admirablemegan is highly Admirablemegan is highly Admirable

CAN A PERSON HAVE SEX AFTER DONATING BLOOD BECAUSE NOW HE HAS VERY LESS BLOOD LEFT ? OR CAN HE HAVE HEART ATTACK :ban analove:
megan is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply