Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Electronics and Consumer Durables > Mobile Phones
Register Forgot Password?

Old 21-09-13   #1
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery
Exclamation BlackBerry May Soon Be Bankrupt

BlackBerry Ltd (formerly RIM) warned on Friday it expects to report a huge quarterly operating loss of close to $1 Billion next week and that it will cut 40% of its global workforce, rekindling fears of the company's demise and sending its shares into a tailspin.

A large part of the expected $930 million to $1000 million loss is being attributed to to a ballooning stockpile of unsold BlackBerry Z10 devices. Blackberry had expected the Z10 to be a huge success and produced a large number of them. Now these are sitting and gathering dust in warehouses like Microsofts Surfaces. Blackberry could possibly dispose off these in a discount firesale but is refusing to do so fearing loss of face.

The company, also said that job cuts were in the offing. It soon plans to shed 4,500 jobs. BlackBerry has already undergone a major round of job cuts over the last year. It employed 12,700 people as of March, and once had close to 20,000 employees. The remaining 8000 odd jobs are not too secure either and many more could soon lose their jobs.

Waterloo, Ontario-based BlackBerry, once Canada's premier technology company was a global leader in Smartphones and secure corporate communications. Today it is unable to compete with Apple's iPhone and Android based smarphones. Losses are mounting by the day and prospects of revival now look bleak.

Blackberry has now put itself on sale and is on the lookout for prospective buyers. The company could be sold off as a whole or in pieces to different buyers. In the worst case senario that no buyer is found, Blackberry could declare bankruptcy and close down sometime in 2014.
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-13   #2
Cat in the rat race
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Incognito

ChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly Famed
Re: BlackBerry May Soon Be Bankrupt

Not unexpected since RIM has been out of the game for quite some time. The only reason it was selling phones was because of the encryption in its mail and BBM. Now that others have caught up to it, RIM really has no answer. It hasn't evolved, and now stares at the possibility of a buyout by another company or vanish.

Sad.
Old 22-09-13   #3
teh zeuS!
I'M bACK

The Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply GreatThe Knight is simply Great

Hope it will not happen with Nokia too.
The Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-13   #4
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

aftabali297 is Mysterious

Apple should buy out Blackberry.
aftabali297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-13   #5
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

rdst_1 is highly Reputablerdst_1 is highly Reputablerdst_1 is highly Reputablerdst_1 is highly Reputable

The Newkia CEO should buy it. At least then he will have a better name for his company.

vijayninel likes this.
rdst_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-13   #6
teh priesT!
[E]onian
BBM on android ;)

aman360elite is very Respectfulaman360elite is very Respectful

Most probably Google will buy it.Apple will not associate itself with RIM

Acoustics - Logitech Z-2300

My Gaming Armor - Razer Deathadder 3500Dpi
Logitech G510
Siberia V2|Black and Gold

Mouse Glides on - Steel series Qck

HP G6 2005X
AMD A8 Quad Core 1.9Ghz |4GB 1600MHz|500GB HDD|1.5 Dual Graphics(7670M+7640G)
Mobile Devices-HTC ONE X Rooted[RUNNING ARHD 13.0]
aman360elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-13   #7
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

kundalus is very Notable

They have lot of patents in their name. My sure if BB goes on sale there will be many takers. As they already have a huge loyal customer base and existing distribution network. Patents will play a major role and any company acquiring BB will have an upper hand. I won't be surprised to see a cartel of Android players running to take it over.

kundalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-13   #8
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Originally Posted by ChironX View Post
Not unexpected since RIM has been out of the game for quite some time. The only reason it was selling phones was because of the encryption in its mail and BBM. Now that others have caught up to it, RIM really has no answer. It hasn't evolved, and now stares at the possibility of a buyout by another company or vanish.

Sad.
There is no RIM - RIM was renamed Blackberry sometime back. BTW BBM is coming to iOS and Android today. This will help them give a bigger user base to potential buyers, but it also takes away an exclusive from Blackberry phones.

Originally Posted by kundalus View Post
They have lot of patents in their name. My sure if BB goes on sale there will be many takers. As they already have a huge loyal customer base and existing distribution network. Patents will play a major role and any company acquiring BB will have an upper hand. I won't be surprised to see a cartel of Android players running to take it over.
It is not a question of if it goes on sale. It has been publicly announced that they are on sale since August BlackBerry is officially for sale, but will it find a buyer? | Mobile - CNET News

The problem is that no one is coming to buy it -as yet.
Old 22-09-13   #9
teh geeK!

kartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirable

Newkia can go for it and develop android on these devices. Blackberry with android will give them good platform and name
kartikoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-13   #10
The Game is On!
Community Moderator
"Derevaun Seraun"

csunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Great

Originally Posted by vijayninel View Post
BTW BBM is coming to iOS and Android today

BTW blackberry paused the BBM rollout for both android and IOS following leak.
There were too many simultaneous users, the company says; with over 1.1 million active clients in the first eight hours, the messaging service just wasn't ready to handle the load. There's no mention of when the BBM deployment will continue, although BlackBerry is disabling the unofficial Android build to prevent future problems. Unless you grabbed BBM's iOS version in the first several hours, you'll just have to be patient.
Also there are many fake BBM apps on the playstore right now.

ManISinJpr likes this.
Old 22-09-13   #11
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Originally Posted by csunit37 View Post

Yes I didnt quite get all the hullabaloo about the leaked app and all that stuff. I wonder if there is some truth in the conspiracy theories.
Old 22-09-13   #12
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

One of BlackBerry’s co-founders has held talks with private equity firms about making a joint bid for the struggling Canadian smartphone maker, The Wall Street Journal reported on Saturday.

BlackBerry co-founder in talks about joint bid: WSJ report - Livemint
Old 22-09-13   #13
Patient_Zero
Zombie Enthusiast

realandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly Admirable

This is what happens when you face real competitions.
I've been a BB hater since it's starting days.

Overpriced products, almost dead App World, no innovation...
Once they ruled the American markets, and now, going to get bankrupt.
Pity.

They should have put the company on sale way before they even started developing the Playbook, which was a epic failure.
realandR3cys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-13   #14
The Game is On!
Community Moderator
"Derevaun Seraun"

csunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Great

Originally Posted by realandR3cys View Post
They should have put the company on sale way before they even started developing the Playbook, which was a epic failure.
Oh btw a new all touch C-series BlackBerry 10 smartphone has surfaced. Unannounced yet the device has a 4.2-inch LCD display with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 CPU.
csunit37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-13   #15
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

Originally Posted by realandR3cys View Post
Well, the Blackberry CEO thinks that tablets are a fad and wont be here in 5 years ... BlackBerry CEO Questions Future of Tablets - Bloomberg

So a failed Playbook wouldn't matter that much.
Post New Thread  Reply