Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > Cooling and Overclocking
Register Forgot Password?

Old 03-01-13   #1
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

Best Software for CPU/FAN/Temp Monitor

Hi,

Can anyone suggest the Best Software for monitoring/reading of
CPU temperatures
FAN rpm
Can we also control Fan speeds through this software?
Note: Software should be Windows 7 64-bit compatible & with Ivy-bridge procs

Also a few querries?
1. For reading the RPM of Fans - Is this possible only if it is directly connected to the motherboard (PWM)?
My 4 fans are all connected via the CM Storm Stryker 4 to 3 pin adapter (the speeds of 2 of them can be changed externally from my cabinet). My 5th fan Cm Excalibur is connected to the motherboard.

2. Does the software also read the RPM of fans connected to the Cabinet 4 to 3 pin adapter?
3. Does the software identify/read the speeds of the Noctua NH-c14 cpu cooler?

Thanks
Terry
System: i7-3770K | Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H WB Wi-Fi | ASUS GTX 660Ti DirectCUII-Top Ed | Noctua NH-C14 | 16GB RipjawsZ @ 1866Mhz | Ocz Vertex4 128GB SSD | Seasonic X760W Modular | Seagate 1TB + 2TB | Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM | CM Storm Stryker | CM Excalibur 120mm Fan | Lian-Li SATA cables | WD 2 + 2TB | Waiting to hackintosh soon

Etcetra
: LG47" LED 4600 series| WD TV Live Hub| WD 1TB | Seagate 2TB usb3 | Sherwood Blu-ray player BDP-5004 | Technics SGC-770 5.1 - 460W music system with Turntable| Nikon D5000 with 18-55 & 55-300mm | Sound-Blaster Audigy Platinum|htc wildfire S | over 250 vinyl's | AMD Athlon 1800 antique PC !!!

@WORK - Avid DS v11 on Dual Xeon E5649/ Intel S5520SC Board/ 48GB RAM/ 60GB x 2 Intel SSD/ Quadro 5000 / 8TB Storage 15000RPM drives on RAID 6/ Cinetal Broadcast monitor/
Aja Kona 3G IO card / Awaiting HP Dreamcolor Monitor
terencefdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-13   #2
Cat in the rat race
Community Coordinator
Say hello to my little friend!

ChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly Famed
Re: Best Software for CPU/FAN/Temp Monitor

For monitoring temps and fan profiles, here are a few-
1. HWMonitor
2. RealTemp

For GPU fan control/temp monitor, overclocking, get MSI AfterBurner. It's the best one.

On a side note, doesn't Gigabyte provide such monitoring utility with the motherboard disc itself? I thought they did!

About reading the fan RPM info, the utilities only work if the fans are directly connected to the motherboard. If you connect them to a normal 4pin -> 3 pin connector, they will run at full 12v and full RPM and hence can not be monitored/controlled.

Get something like SpeedFan to see if you can monitor the RPMs of your case fans. Same goes for Noctua one. If you've connected them to the motherboard, you can monitor/control them even from the BIOS.

Cheers!
Old 03-01-13   #3
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

terencefdes is very Notable

Thanks @ChironX .... I just installed "SpeedFan 4.47" ......

Before that, I reset my BIOS to default settings to (hopefully) get a better perspective.

But here is the report (see attached image) & I am a little confused ...... (RPM vs Temp's are good)

Which is Fan 1 & 2 ?
(my Noctua [2 x 140mm] and Excalibur is connected to the Motherboard ...... [PWM])
........... I need to go back & understand a lot more
Are all my motherboard fan headers ...PWM, etc etc

And regarding your querry Gigabyte "monitoring utilities" are not of the same class as Asus or MSI
Attached Thumbnails
>speedfan01.jpg  
Old 06-01-13   #4
teh nuB!
[E]onian
The Fragging Yard

InDuSOnE is Notable

You can try the more advanced settings under configuration > advanced and select your chip from the drop down. Select your chip and see what can be done. My CPU fan is PWM3 and i use this to reduce the rpm when gaming.

InDuSOnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13   #5
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

terencefdes is very Notable

Originally Posted by InDuSOnE View Post
You can try the more advanced settings under configuration > advanced and select your chip from the drop down. Select your chip and see what can be done. My CPU fan is PWM3 and i use this to reduce the rpm when gaming.
Thanks for the tips Rajeev. I guess SpeedFan has a lot to offer. Will check it out tonight.

Just 1 querry - I am not sure how to identify the chip [the image that you posted shows your chip as "IT8728F AT $228 on ISA" ...... ??????]

I will have to check what the drop-down menu shows up of my system.

Cheers
Terry
Old 07-01-13   #6
Cat in the rat race
Community Coordinator
Say hello to my little friend!

ChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly Famed

Originally Posted by InDuSOnE View Post
My CPU fan is PWM3 and i use this to reduce the rpm when gaming
Why would you reduce the RPM of your CPU cooling fans when gaming stresses it? Shouldn't that result in warmer temperatures for your chip? Unless you have an extremely efficient and powerful cooler and/or noisy fans, I do not see the justification in this.

Originally Posted by terencefdes View Post
Which is Fan 1 & 2 ?
These are defined by the motherboard fan headers in which you plug the fans in. They start from the top of the motherboard - if you see the headers you will see numbering on them. Generally they are termed as CPU_FAN, or CH*_FAN<number>. So if you plug the fan in Chassis Fan 2, it will show up as Fan 3, since CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT are Fan1 and Fan2.

Everest is also a comprehensive system monitoring and benchmarking software from Lavalys which you can use.

Some more reading which can help you to choose -
Best CPU fan control software? - AnandTech Forums
Best Fan Control Software - EXTREME Overclocking Forums
I need a FAN management program!!! - Overclockers Forums

For fan controlling, a hardware controller goes a long way. Software controllers are often buggy - the best bet being the BIOS itself.

For system monitoring, you can use something as simple as CPU and GPU monitoring gadgets for windows 7, to full fledged Swiss Army Knife programs as Everest.

This is how their windows widget looks like -
http://www.lavalys.com/sites/default...-ue-gadget.png
ChironX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13   #7
teh nuB!
[E]onian
The Fragging Yard

InDuSOnE is Notable

Originally Posted by ChironX View Post
Why would you reduce the RPM of your CPU cooling fans when gaming stresses it? Shouldn't that result in warmer temperatures for your chip? Unless you have an extremely efficient and powerful cooler and/or noisy fans, I do not see the justification in this.

Yes, i have an extremely noisy stock cooler, and my temps stay almost the same with reduced fan speed while playing BF3, so i fiddle with speedfan to bring the noise levels down. Its an AMD Athlon X3 Processor.

Anyways, @ Terry, be careful with that application, it can be dangerous if you accidentally set the percentages of fan speed too low, once i had mine set to 0 instead of 100 , and the fan stopped. Luckily i noticed it immediately and changed it again. In my case yes its IT8728F AT $228 on ISA which seems to be responsible for controlling these parameters. You should see a similar chip in yours, or check your gigabyte manual.

Last edited by InDuSOnE; 07-01-13 at 05:43 PM.
InDuSOnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-13   #8
My Eyes are on You Seller
Community Moderator

johnjoyjoe is highly Reputablejohnjoyjoe is highly Reputablejohnjoyjoe is highly Reputable

Hi Terence

a bit late in replying to this Thread because my M/b has Gone for RMA
Here is Something i want say
  • the Best Fan and Temp Monitoring Software's are CPUID HWMonitor, Speccy, Real Temps(only Checks CPU Temps).
  • You must Connect all Fans you Want to Monitor to M/b Fan Header.
  • You Must Connect one Fan on one Connector ( Do not Split or Use y Connectors on M/b Headers).
  • Do not use/connect Fans to m/b Header of Equal or Greater than 1A(10 Watts).
  • You cannot Control or Monitor Fans Connected to Fan controller Through Software.
  • You Must connect Fans To M/b Header in Order to Monitor/Control Speeds of Fan on Noctua.
johnjoyjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply