Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Buying Help > Mobile Phone Buying Advice
Register Forgot Password?

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
teh nuB!
!Bun het

Best Mobile Under 8k?

Hey, which phone would be the best for me under 8k?

The build must be good so that the phone lasts long. I don't want the phone to start giving me problems within an year, you know.

I see Redmi 4, is it worth it? Is there any better phone in this range?

Thanks!
matharoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Ashes, The Rain and I.

Submerged is very HonorableSubmerged is very Honorable
Re: Best Mobile Under 8k?

Originally Posted by matharoo View Post
Hey, which phone would be the best for me under 8k?

The build must be good so that the phone lasts long. I don't want the phone to start giving me problems within an year, you know.

I see Redmi 4, is it worth it? Is there any better phone in this range?

Thanks!
I have used 4 Xiaomi phones so far (a Mi4i, a RN3 and a couple of Redmi 4's) and they have all been great. No issues whatsoever with any of them. Build quality is solid. I have had the RN3 for over a year and it works just as well as it did on day one.

All depends on your needs and usage. If you're looking for a new phone with solid battery life for general usage, maybe some light gaming then yeah, for 7k there aren't many better options than the Redmi 4 16gb. And the new MIUI 9 update feels really smooth and snappy.

Word of advice: If you're the kind that loves tinkering with their phones then you might want to reconsider. Their bootloader unlocking procedure is a nightmare. I remember unlocking my first Xperia phone in under 10 mins whereas I had to legit wait well over two freaking months to finally unlock my RN3 officially. The whole procedure is atrocious. I got so fed up with the whole thing that I nearly put the phone up for sale here. There are of course unofficial ways to unlock it but they aren't without their drawbacks. That's the only bad thing I have to say about Xiaomi.
matharoo likes this.
Submerged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
teh nuB!
!Bun het

matharoo is Notable

Originally Posted by Submerged View Post
I have used 4 Xiaomi phones so far (a Mi4i, a RN3 and a couple of Redmi 4's) and they have all been great. No issues whatsoever with any of them. Build quality is solid. I have had the RN3 for over a year and it works just as well as it did on day one.

All depends on your needs and usage. If you're looking for a new phone with solid battery life for general usage, maybe some light gaming then yeah, for 7k there aren't many better options than the Redmi 4 16gb. And the new MIUI 9 update feels really smooth and snappy.

Word of advice: If you're the kind that loves tinkering with their phones then you might want to reconsider. Their bootloader unlocking procedure is a nightmare. I remember unlocking my first Xperia phone in under 10 mins whereas I had to legit wait well over two freaking months to finally unlock my RN3 officially. The whole procedure is atrocious. I got so fed up with the whole thing that I nearly put the phone up for sale here. There are of course unofficial ways to unlock it but they aren't without their drawbacks. That's the only bad thing I have to say about Xiaomi.
Thanks for the reply. Yep, I just need it for general usage, no advanced stuff. Thanks, I think I'll be considering the Redmi 4.
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Ashes, The Rain and I.

Thanks for the reply. Yep, I just need it for general usage, no advanced stuff. Thanks, I think I'll be considering the Redmi 4.
You're welcome. Happy to help.
matharoo likes this.
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
teh nuB!
Stay Updated

avanildutta is Notable

+1 to Redmi 4..

matharoo likes this.
avanildutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
teh nuB!
!Bun het

matharoo is Notable

Thanks. Is the 2GB version worth it? Some people are saying that it is too low, but 9k for the 3GB version would be too much.
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Ashes, The Rain and I.

Thanks. Is the 2GB version worth it? Some people are saying that it is too low, but 9k for the 3GB version would be too much.
Its sufficient if you don't tend to keep a lot of apps in memory. If you do, they'll refresh periodically. Plus MIUI takes up a fair bit of the ram.

But you're right, 9k is too much for the 3gb version. That's the reason I didn't get it myself. At the price, might as well spend some more for the Redmi Note 4.

Btw, the RN4 3GB version is going for the price of the 2GB version right on Flipkart - https://www.flipkart.com/redmi-note-...1202193700%3As
If you're ready to spend 9k, you might as well cough up the extra 1000 bucks for a much better phone. So either get the Redmi 4 16GB or go all out for the RN4 32GB for the discounted price.
matharoo likes this.
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
teh nuB!
!Bun het

matharoo is Notable

Its sufficient if you don't tend to keep a lot of apps in memory. If you do, they'll refresh periodically. Plus MIUI takes up a fair bit of the ram.

But you're right, 9k is too much for the 3gb version. That's the reason I didn't get it myself. At the price, might as well spend some more for the Redmi Note 4.

Btw, the RN4 3GB version is going for the price of the 2GB version right on Flipkart - https://www.flipkart.com/redmi-note-...1202193700%3As
If you're ready to spend 9k, you might as well cough up the extra 1000 bucks for a much better phone.
Well, there's no way I can go over 7k. My budget is 6k and I am already going over it. So I'll have to make do with the 2GB version. So, is that it? Redmi 4 2GB for 7k? Any other phone in this range I should at least consider?
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Ashes, The Rain and I.

Well, there's no way I can go over 7k. My budget is 6k and I am already going over it. So I'll have to make do with the 2GB version. So, is that it? Redmi 4 2GB for 7k? Any other phone in this range I should at least consider?
You'll make do just fine with Redmi 4 2GB. I have access to two of them and I can tell you they are good little phones.

Haven't bought any other brand in a while so honestly don't know. The competing Motorola/Samsung phones in this price range generally have weaker specs compared to Xiaomi phones. So unless you're ready to go the used route, I don't know if you have many better options within your budget. Maybe look at some Asus/Lenovo/Coolpad options before making your decision.
Old 1 Week Ago   #10
teh nuB!
!Bun het

matharoo is Notable

You'll make do just fine with Redmi 4 2GB. I have access to two of them and I can tell you they are good little phones.

Haven't bought any other brand in a while so honestly don't know. The competing Motorola/Samsung phones in this price range generally have weaker specs compared to Xiaomi phones. So unless you're ready to go the used route, I don't know if you have many better options within your budget. Maybe look at some Asus/Lenovo/Coolpad options before making your decision.
Great, thanks. But, do you think those "Asus/Lenovo/Coolpad" phones would be worth it? Any benefits they would give over Redmi?
Old 1 Week Ago   #11
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Ashes, The Rain and I.

Great, thanks. But, do you think those "Asus/Lenovo/Coolpad" phones would be worth it? Any benefits they would give over Redmi?
Don't think the few Lenovo/Asus phones under 7k have the specs/features the Redmi 4 offers. There are a few Asus Zenfone variants around the 7k mark but I have no clue how good they are. You'll have to look up some reviews. As for benefits over the Redmi, depends on what kind of benefits you're looking for. One phone might have a better camera, another might have a bigger screen, and yet another might have a UI like you like more. Whether a particular feature in a phone is worth picking it over the Redmi 4 is entirely up to you.

Anyway, since I haven't used any of them, I can only speak for the Redmi 4. For what it offers and the price it offers it for, you can't really go wrong. Good specs, solid build quality and great battery life. Also, MIUI may be a tad heavy but its a pretty popular skin with quite a few handy features. Plus the finger print sensor's a bonus. Like I said, unless you're ready to buy used, there aren't many better phones you can get for 7k.

Now if you don't mind buying used/refurbished, then you'll find plenty of options on sites like Quikr. They also sell refurbished phones with warranty. You can get much better phones for the same price or lower -
https://www.quikr.com/mobiles-tablet...order=priceAsc
You can find stuff like the RN3, Lenovo Z2 Plus, Oneplus X and others within your budget.

Note: I have bought/sold stuff on Quikr before and they are alright but I haven't bought a refurbished phone from them so can't comment on this particular part of their service. If you're interested, do some research before you proceed.
Old 1 Week Ago   #12
teh nuB!
!Bun het

matharoo is Notable

Don't think the few Lenovo/Asus phones under 7k have the specs/features the Redmi 4 offers. There are a few Asus Zenfone variants around the 7k mark but I have no clue how good they are. You'll have to look up some reviews. As for benefits over the Redmi, depends on what kind of benefits you're looking for. One phone might have a better camera, another might have a bigger screen, and yet another might have a UI like you like more. Whether a particular feature in a phone is worth picking it over the Redmi 4 is entirely up to you.

Anyway, since I haven't used any of them, I can only speak for the Redmi 4. For what it offers and the price it offers it for, you can't really go wrong. Good specs, solid build quality and great battery life. Also, MIUI may be a tad heavy but its a pretty popular skin with quite a few handy features. Plus the finger print sensor's a bonus. Like I said, unless you're ready to buy used, there aren't many better phones you can get for 7k.

Now if you don't mind buying used/refurbished, then you'll find plenty of options on sites like Quikr. They also sell refurbished phones with warranty. You can get much better phones for the same price or lower -
https://www.quikr.com/mobiles-tablet...order=priceAsc
You can find stuff like the RN3, Lenovo Z2 Plus, Oneplus X and others within your budget.

Note: I have bought/sold stuff on Quikr before and they are alright but I haven't bought a refurbished phone from them so can't comment on this particular part of their service. If you're interested, do some research before you proceed.
Umm, I don't think I want to buy a refurbished phone. I'd rather play it safe and just get a new one. I think the Redmi 4 is the best. Thanks!
Old 1 Week Ago   #13
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Ashes, The Rain and I.

Umm, I don't think I want to buy a refurbished phone. I'd rather play it safe and just get a new one. I think the Redmi 4 is the best. Thanks!
Understandable. Like I said, can't go wrong with the Redmi 4 for 7k especially if its just for general usage.
Old 4 Days Ago   #14
teh nuB!
!Bun het

matharoo is Notable

Understandable. Like I said, can't go wrong with the Redmi 4 for 7k especially if its just for general usage.
For 7k I can either get Redmi 4 2GB/16GB, or Redmi 4a 3GB/32GB. The latter has less battery and a weaker processor, but has more storage and RAM. And it has no fingerprint sensor. What should I do?
Old 4 Days Ago   #15
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Ashes, The Rain and I.

For 7k I can either get Redmi 4 2GB/16GB, or Redmi 4a 3GB/32GB. The latter has less battery and a weaker processor, but has more storage and RAM. And it has no fingerprint sensor. What should I do?
Unless you really need the extra ram and storage space, the Redmi 4. At least that's the choice I'd make (did make) but it depends on you in the end.

Since these phone's have expandable memory, 16GB isn't such an issue. And as for the extra gig for ram, sure it would be nice but I personally don't think its worth sacrificing better hardware, construction and features for.
Detailed comparison - https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php...&idPhone2=8420

I suppose its the same conundrum you'd face if the Redmi Note 4 2GB/16GB was available for the same price as the Redmi 4 3GB/32GB. Again, I'd go for the Redmi Note 4 in that case.
Post New Thread  Reply