Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Buying Help > Mobile Phone Buying Advice
Register Forgot Password?

Old 23-04-13   #1
Cat in the rat race
Community Coordinator
Say hello to my little friend!

Best 5 Inch, or 5 Inch+ Phone

Basically I need a large phone since my hand/fingers are pretty big and I find it cumbersome to type in even a 4.3 inch phone keyboard. Quite often I end up pressing either the immediate left or right key of the key I actually want to press, or press more than one key. This is pretty frustrating. I also want bigger screen size for my regular mobile surfing/chatting etc.

So what's the best 5/5+ incher mobile right now?

- Canvas HD, low price, great specs, but lackluster DEV support, almost nil future updates
- Galaxy Note 2, great specs, but hefty price tag
- Xperia Z, mixed reviews + more or less similar price to Note 2
- Optimus G Pro ^

Is it worth to get the Canvas HD or should I save up to get any of the latter? Advices appreciated.

ChironX
Old 23-04-13   #2
teh geeK!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
I havent set my status yet.

kartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirable
Re: Best 5 Inch, or 5 Inch+ Phone

there is no comparison between canvas HD and other listed phone. I would pick XOLO Q800 @11.3k on ebay (deal of the day)

looks better than canvas devices and feels good in hand (personal experience with XOLO A800)

or if you are ready to go with untested brands then gionee for 16k on ebay is one hell of a phone (specs wise)

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

XOLO Q800 | eBay
kartikoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-13   #3
Cat in the rat race
Community Coordinator

ChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly Famed

But I keep on hearing about bugs and other issues on XOLO phones - their update cycle is also tremendously slow.

I know there's no comparison between Micromax and the other phones I have listed, but Micromax seems to have the best configuration for a 5' phone, price being a denominator.
ChironX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-13   #4
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

@ChironX Don't even think twice and get the Galaxy S4 on the 26th of April !!

or the Samsung Note II !!

Nothing else comes even remotely close to these..

money is money !!!

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-13   #5
"The Hood"
Most Valued [E]onian
"Derevaun Seraun"

csunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Great

Optimus G Pro has got better hardware than the note2, but in terms of real world usage and user experience note 2 wins hands down..
The S-pen, motion, camera features, battery everything is better than the Optimus G Pro..
Plus the dev support is just fantastic for the note 2..
Android 5.0 on the way
Flipkart is selling Note2 for 32K.. If you can spend that much cash, it should be Note 2..
Originally Posted by ManISinJpr View Post
Don't even think twice and get the Galaxy S4 on the 26th of April !!
40K+
I don't think he wants to spend that much..
csunit37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-13   #6
Cat in the rat race
Community Coordinator

ChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly Famed

32k and 40k is out of budget at least for now. In ebay there are a plethora of chinese phones claiming to have 5 inch IPS 720p screens and 1.2 GHz quad core processors - exactly like the Canvas HD.

I understand that the Note 2/ G Pro are better phones, but they also command a hefty price premiun. Am trying to find something in the middle. Good performance, good dev support yet doesn't break the bank.
Old 24-04-13   #7
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

What is the last level of budget that you can go to.. ?
I have some pretty good netwoprk with the people who are into it and so will help oyu get a price for a peice which will be near to that..
Originally Posted by ChironX View Post
I understand that the Note 2/ G Pro are better phones, but they also command a hefty price premiun. Am trying to find something in the middle. Good performance, good dev support yet doesn't break the bank.
yes I knew but couldn't resist myself from suggesting coz they are indeed good.
Originally Posted by csunit37 View Post
I don't think he wants to spend that much..
Old 24-04-13   #8
Cat in the rat race
Community Coordinator

At the moment I can spare upto 25k. I need to save up if those big 'uns are to be bought.
Old 24-04-13   #9
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

^^ There is not much difference between 25 and 32
Actually there is but the experience and quality is worth it..

get the Note II..

I will keep and eye out and put words into the retail channel too.
Old 24-04-13   #10
Cat in the rat race
Community Coordinator

Originally Posted by ManISinJpr ♦ View Post
^^ There is not much difference between 25 and 32 Actually there is but the experience and quality is worth it.. get the Note II..
Okie bro - will save up for the Note II. Worst thing waiting for phones or any new technology is when you decide to save up and buy the actual thing you see better options
ManISinJpr likes this.
Old 24-04-13   #11
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
FML!! >_>

nikthegr8 is very Honorablenikthegr8 is very Honorable

note 2 is really worth the money
nikthegr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-13   #12
Jason Bourne
Community Coordinator
Mushtakhanda !!!

Yes the Note III is coming out n due time, but you can be sure of one thing.. !
the phone you have is yours !! and no website and friends and people can say anything that makes you want to leave that and go to another more expensive model
That is the story I follow, that is why I have Samsung Focus as my main phone
Originally Posted by ChironX View Post
Okie bro - will save up for the Note II. Worst thing waiting for phones or any new technology is when you decide to save up and buy the actual thing you see better options
Old 24-04-13   #13
teh geeK!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
I havent set my status yet.

kartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirable

open a WTB thread ChironX
kartikoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-13   #14
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
BF 3 Rock :D

Thunder is Mysterious

How about Galaxy Grand? config is not that good but come with 5" screen?
RIG : Intel i5 2500K / Gigabyte Z77X UD5H / G.Skill Sniper 16 GB DDR3 (4GB*4) 1600 MHz / CM Storm Trooper / Corsair TX750 / Benq GL2750HM / 1 TB Seagate Sata 2 / MSI Radeon HD 7870 Power Edition OC / NZXT Fan Controller / Logitech 2.1 / 4x120 MM Fans Cooler Master / Corsair H100 - Liquid Cooler / Intel 520 120 GB SSD / CM Storm Trooper / Asus DVD-R (RW) / Roccat Isku FX / Logitech G400
Gadgets : Samsung Galaxy S Plus i9001 / Pantech Burst P9070 / Xbox 360 Kinect / Micromax 400R / Dell Vostro 1014 (Upgraded 4 GB Ram & 500 GB HDD) / 4 TB Seagate Backup Plus / Ainol Crystal
Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-13   #15
Cat in the rat race
Community Coordinator

The reason that I don't like Grand is that contrary to its price, it is severely underpowered. Also that screen resolution is an eye-sore. 480x800 in a 5 incher is really streching the limits - a phone which comes for 5k lesser, the Canvas HD, runs circles around it all day.
Post New Thread  Reply