Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Articles > Tutorials and Guides
Register Forgot Password?
Follow Erodov on Twitter Follow Us
Join us on FaceBook Join Us
Post New Article  Comment

Article Tools Search this Article
A Beginner's Guide to Touch Typing
A Beginner's Guide to Touch Typing
Date: 13-04-10
Topic: Tutorials and Guides
Author: Aumkar Iyer

Index
The Basics 
Index

A Beginner’s Guide to Touch Typing

Introduction

Have you ever seen those movies where all those geeks and computer hackers typing at a blazing speed on their keyboards? Do you often wonder how these people can type so fast even without looking at the keyboard? Does it seem that they’re practicing some kind of dark magic to get those words onto the screens at ridiculous speeds? Well, those are movies. However, people in real life are absolutely capable of achieving amazing typing speeds. While this may not interest you, it’s especially beneficial for programmers, people who work with computers most of the day, or just those browsing the internet or just plain chatting.

Many a time, I have seen many people peeking at their keyboards, using the old “Hunt and Peck” method of typing, which as the name suggests, involves hunting for a key and then pressing it. This is very common in India even amongst people who use computers frequently for typing and even trolling online sites like Facebook and what not. The hunt and peck style of typing is, to be honest, just about the worst way anyone can defile the speed of the human fingers. God gave us ten, those who hunt and peck use two. It often ruins grammar, spelling and any other form of English that can be ruined because those who use this style of typing often shorten words to gain speed and resort to SMS language, using full size keyboards. SMS language is fine when one is trying to squeeze a meaningful sentence into 160 characters, but it shouldn’t be the same case when it comes to typing.

That’s where touch typing comes into play. Essentially, one uses all ten fingers to type out a word without having to look at the keyboard or even think about it. It’s essential and very useful for those who have a regular work life with a computer as it enhances productivity, and even allows for multitasking and can boost the thought process once the mind can translate all the input from the brain into fingers on the keyboard automatically.

Read this very short tutorial on how to get started.

sm1 likes this.

Index
The Basics 

Tools
Add to Aumkar's Karma
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
<< <    Next Page: The Basics (Page 1 of 4)    >  >>
By vijayninel 30-04-10
Re: A Beginner's Guide to Touch Typing

Thanks for the great writeup Aumkar, I will surely give this a try.
By ManISinJpr ♦ 30-04-10

Whatever you said is the truth, I was a total visual typer as I called myself, still am but now just as I am addicted to seeing the keyboard.
Now I dont have to see the keys but surprisingly i dont keep the fingers at the home keys, but in air hovering just over them and keep touching them frequently.
What improved my typing was a assignment of copy writing which I had to do for a company, coz I was getting paid for it.
By stonedsurd 30-04-10

Great article Monkee-boy.

I suck at touch typing.
By BLuEBLOODED 30-04-10

I liked this more than the other one.

It is the simplicity of topics which appeals more to me than the subject matter.
By Aumkar 30-04-10

Lol thanks guys.

@blueblooded which other one? If youre talking about my review, then it should be said that you can't really skimp out on a review. Its meant to be full blown but I tried to keep it understandable.
By BLuEBLOODED 30-04-10

Well, I only meant that I really do enjoy articles with an elementary topic written with elan every once in a while over those hugely detailed articles, not that I do not like those.
By JD666 30-04-10

a very well written article man!
By ManISinJpr ♦ 30-04-10

I thought that you were a very good typist..and typed very fast !!!
If you are not a touch typist then you are just like me, I ain't no touch typist either.
Originally Posted by stonedsurd View Post
Great article Monkee-boy.

I suck at touch typing.
By stonedsurd 30-04-10

I don't touch type but I'm fast enough.
By d@rK nEmEsIs 30-04-10

quite informative article.
By sahilm 01-05-10

Nice article. I forced myself into learning touch typing a couple of months back. The first fortnight is the hardest. I can comfortably type at about 60 WPM with about 98% accuracy now. My aim is to be 100% accurate at 60-70 WPM.

Since the bulk of my typing comprises of programming I have all numbers, symbols and control keys memorized as well. It feels awesome to be able to type in complete darkness. I don't need no stinking back lit keyboard. Heck I don't even need anything printed on the keys Now I just need someone to gift a Das keyboard
By Luke Warm 02-05-10

Practice does not Make Perfect. You can practice doing something wrong, and you will get very good at doing it wrong, but you will be far from perfect.
Correct Practice Makes Perfect. If you want to get good really quick, practice doing it the correct way.
It’s nice to have an article like this to tell people the correct way to practice.
By winds_of_change 02-05-10

great guide... will be exploring this.

I need to learn this....
By blufox 02-05-10

Interesting article.
I know how important it is, since I program and troll at forums at same time.
So ... thanks.

Yeah I do not need to peek for letters anytime
Can even write with my eyes closed.

Great article Monkee. Reps for you.
Post New Article  Comment
Please share with friends!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search