Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Articles > Reviews & Previews
Register Forgot Password?
Follow Erodov on Twitter Follow Us
Join us on FaceBook Join Us
Post New Article  Comment

Article Tools Search this Article
Asus Rampage IV Black Edition Review
Date: 07-02-14
Topic: Reviews & Previews
Author: ChironX

Index
Specifications, Board Layout 
Index

Sandy Bridge E remains an interesting topic of discussion. Introduced in Q4 2011, this was camp blue’s enthusiast platform, offering the crème-de-la-crème for the crowd who didn’t mind paying a premium. Now, in 2014, when the mainstream segments have already passed two generations (Ivy Bridge, Haswell), Intel hasn’t updated the enthusiast platform in a similar way. Even with the introduction of Ivy Bridge E, the next step in processor architecture, we are still seeing no new chipsets being launched. The existing X79 boards are getting BIOS or firmware upgrades to work with the newer batch of processors, alongside the launch of a handful of new boards. So before Haswell E arrives (Q2 2014?) the enthusiast platform remains X79, now two and a half years old.

Asus are the forerunners when it comes to motherboards, both in terms of features and revenues (motherboards sold in million units). They have diversified their entire motherboard range in a few distinct sections, each trying to cater to a different crowd, keeping a couple of base features which are enforced on every segment to make sure they retain the same quality, and then according to the segment, adding couple of brownie points. So we have their Republic of Gamers range, the TUF (The Ultimate Force)range, and their mainstream range (Pro/Deluxe/WS), each coming with different color schemes (red/black for ROG, black/gold for mainstream, grey/army green for TUF). Asus also uses different VRM circuitry/audio components and/or software tweaks on certain products to differentiate them from others in their huge array of motherboards.

For ROG, the differentiation runs deep – even in names. While Maximus is the name given to mainstream ROG boards, the enthusiast chipset ROG boards get a more intimidating Rampage moniker. The rest remains the same – Gene for Micro ATX, Formula as their top-dog gaming solution with premium audio in terms of SupremeFX, and Extreme as the flagship enthusiast/benching/uber-high end gaming motherboard (additions to this range are Hero – the budget ATX board and Impact – the mini ITX ROG board, introduced in the Z87/Haswell range). For Ivy Bridge E, however, Asus has introduced a single ROG motherboard (X79-Deluxe being the only other motherboard released), and we have it today in our labs for testing.

Behold, the Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition.

Index
Specifications, Board Layout 

Tools
Add to ChironX's Karma
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
<< <    Next Page: Specifications, Board Layout (Page 1 of 7)    >  >>
By realandR3cys 07-02-14
Re: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition Review

Great review indeed! As well as the pics.

Though i'm a bit sad that Asus has disabled VT/x, VT/d on an advanced mobo like this, along with the limited support for Linux. I hope they start working now on their BIOS, cause a board like this should be a perfect gem.

Nevertheless, enjoyed reading it
By ChironX 07-02-14

Thank you
By vijayninel 07-02-14

Thanks for the great review. Very impressive product but it perhaps goes overboard on some things. I wonder if there really was a need for the "OC panel" and adding to the cost. Its unlikely that this device will be used for overclocking on air and even in cryogenic overclocking I doubt that many enthusiasts would want to use it.
By ChironX 07-02-14

The OC Panel will basically cater to a niche section - folks who don't want a third party fan controller/system display. I think this is one of the added brownie points with the top end boards - something which you can flaunt, but not necessarily put to use on an enthusiast level.
By kartikoli 07-02-14

As expected ... grt wright-up buddy and detailed as well
By Xanan 07-02-14

Nicely done!
By ChironX 07-02-14

Thank you

Feedbacks like these help me to write better!
By klk 25-09-14

i wish i could buy

nice review bro
Post New Article  Comment
Please share with friends!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search