Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Buying Help > Gadgets & Consumer Electronics Buying Advice
Register Forgot Password?

Old 25-01-13   #16
Cat in the rat race
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Incognito

Re: Apple Thunerbolt Display/ 27" Monitors in General

Apple thunderbolt display, sadly, has issues with non-thunderbolt PCs/Macs. Though the port is identical to a mini-displayport, it does not work well with the cable plugged in. Flickering/hibernate, bad colors etc are a few of the issues that many people have faced (as per internet forums). Moreover, the cost (~60k) makes it out of the question with these issues in mind. I do not want to end up doing a costly mistake.

I will check the Asus PB278Q out. Asus reps told me that the display is due in India this February, so let's wait and watch how that turns out.

In other news, Dell has unveiled the latest iteration of U27* series, called U2713H. Waiting for reviews for the same as well.

What do you guys think about the Korean monitors (Achieva/Crossover/Catleap)? Worth the risk? I have never dealt with customs before so I am a little jittery about the entire thing.
@saifbukhari - any suggestions bhai?
Old 25-01-13   #17
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
Bring it ON !!!

Rig Gallery

saifbukhari is very Honorablesaifbukhari is very Honorable

@ChironX bro, I took a risk in ordering mine, it proved worth it. If you are not comfortable then go for dell if your budget allows you too. Else order it from ebay from that Korean seller. call me if you need help more on this
Old 25-01-13   #18
Cat in the rat race
Incognito

ChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly Famed

@saifbukhari - will call you today bhai..am not sure how much customs will take and stuff, and double unsure about what happens in WB :'(
ChironX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-13   #19
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
Bring it ON !!!

Rig Gallery

Originally Posted by ChironX View Post
@saifbukhari - will call you today bhai..am not sure how much customs will take and stuff, and double unsure about what happens in WB :'(
Anytime mate,,,,,, cheerio
saifbukhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-13   #20
Cat in the rat race
Incognito

ChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly Famed

Alright, the Dell u2713HM is 51,500/- + taxes here. The U2740L is around 43k + taxes, and the Asus VG278H (3D) is around 38k + taxes.

The local Apple folks didn't tell me the cost for the Thunderbolt display, and insisted that I go and see it in person. Am tempted but I don't think the thunderbolt display works with non-thunderbolt computers, even if I have a displayport in my GPU.
Old 29-01-13   #21
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

bobthebuilder is very Notable

It is 60k in my place.
bobthebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-13   #22
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
Bring it ON !!!

Rig Gallery

@ChironX get the Asus one mate, I don't know if its price will fall drastically for a year though atleast
ChironX likes this.
Old 30-01-13   #23
Cat in the rat race
Incognito

@saifbukhari - I am waiting for it to release, the reviews say good things about it, the only bad thing being that it uses PWM so might cause a little flickering while changing color temperatures. But that is visible only to very sensitive eyes and I am hoping that won't be an issue in my case :-/
Old 30-01-13   #24
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
Bring it ON !!!

Rig Gallery

You're right @ChironX it wont be.. . . all the best mate

@saifbukhari - I am waiting for it to release, the reviews say good things about it, the only bad thing being that it uses PWM so might cause a little flickering while changing color temperatures. But that is visible only to very sensitive eyes and I am hoping that won't be an issue in my case :-/
Old 30-01-13   #25
Cat in the rat race
Incognito

@saifbukhari @d3p @bobthebuilder

How about this one guys? New Dell UltraSharp U2913WM 29" Ultra-Wide LED Monitor

This is a 29" 2560x1080 ultra wide monitor. It adds the workspace as well as wide screen gaming (although not like eyefinity or nvidia surround, but the closest you can get in a single monitor setting).

Worth it?
Old 30-01-13   #26
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
Bring it ON !!!

Rig Gallery

Nope. mate, better u get the asus or the shimian
@saifbukhari @d3p @bobthebuilder

How about this one guys? New Dell UltraSharp U2913WM 29" Ultra-Wide LED Monitor

This is a 29" 2560x1080 ultra wide monitor. It adds the workspace as well as wide screen gaming (although not like eyefinity or nvidia surround, but the closest you can get in a single monitor setting).

Worth it?
Old 30-01-13   #27
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

bobthebuilder is very Notable

21:9 if am not wrong is a cinema display.
Are you sure you want to go for that?.
bobthebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-13   #28
Cat in the rat race
Incognito

:-/ The only thing which intrigued me was the width of it, I saw a couple of videos in Youtube where the user was playing games. While some games like Torchlight 2, Sleeping Dogs are optimized for 21:9 (meaning their HUD and etc are displayed right at the edges of the display), other games such as Witcher 2 does not run in 21:9 mode at all. Most, like Borderlands 2, Skyrim run fine in 21:9 but the HUD and other info get displayed in the monitor as if it were 16:9.

But it looks good.

Yesterday the shop owner with whom I was having a long talk tried to convince me into buying the Asus VG278H which is a 1080p 27 inch 120 Hz monitor with 3D Vision 2 and Lightboost. I was at first intrigued, but then backed out.

The Asus 1440p is due out in a couple of days. What to do? I read in forums that IPS & TN both have their pros and cons.

IPS has - better color reproduction, better color uniformity, more input lag and limited to 60Hz.
TN has - inferior colors/viewing angles but 120Hz/144 Hz refresh rates, smoother gameplay all around, much faster than the IPS.

@saifbukhari - bro, your contact on the shimian hasn't yet replied back to my mail

So guys, any thoughts? Or should I invest in a good 42 inch LED TV/Plasma? I hear that Plasma TVs offer the best in gaming experience as far as a television is concerned, but they use Phosphor gas and burn out easily. Plus, a 1080p Plasma is around 65-70k here. The forums also mentioned that LED/LCD tvs have horrible input lag since the images go through a lot of post-processing.

All this info is really making me confused :-S
Old 30-01-13   #29
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
Bring it ON !!!

Rig Gallery

sorry to hear your confusion mate, but your safest bet again would be the Asus 1440p or the shimian, try sending him message via ebay, or try other reputed sellers too
Old 30-01-13   #30
Cat in the rat race
Incognito

Originally Posted by saifbukhari View Post
try sending him message via ebay
Bro can you give me a link to his shop in ebay?
Post New Thread  Reply