Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Software Zone > Operating Systems
Register Forgot Password?

Old 03-07-12   #1
Lead Lead
Administrator
12 years a admin!

Rig Gallery
idea Apple Pricing Mountain Lion at $19.99, Why?

Did you guys see this? Microsoft announces $39.99 Windows 8 Pro upgrade offer for most Windows users -- Engadget

Almost feels like Apple has the power now to influence the price that Microsoft can "easily" charge for Windows 8?

KiD0M4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-12   #2
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent
Re: Apple Pricing Mountain Lion at $19.99, Why?

Not at all, they probably themselves know how bad Win 8 is so they are trying make hay while the sun shines and palm it off to unsuspecting buyers. Once the Win 8 catastropy unveils publicly then nobody will take it even for free.
Old 03-07-12   #3
Lead Lead
Administrator
12 years a admin!

Rig Gallery

KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!
KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!

Well, I almost believe that this could be a very smart ploy at Apple's part at eating away at other commercial operating system revenues.

If the consumer sees that a very mature and "loved" OS is available for only $19.99 (that too with a UNIX stack underneath) would they be willing to fork over the big bucks for a widely unpopular OS? (which Windows 8 might just turn out to be?)
Old 03-07-12   #4
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

I dont think that the decision was majorly influenced by Apples pricing of its OS. Apple has to price its OS low because hardly any people use it anyway. And no matter how good you claim the Mac OSX is, its marketshare is still insignificant compared to Windows in the Desktop and laptop area. The pricing was probably influenced by Steven Sinofsky and his "Metro Brigade" who want to put a Windows 8 tablet in everyones hands.

I only wish they would sell me another Win 7 Pro licence for $40 ... as that is going to be the mainstream OS for the coming years.
SidK!! and ManISinJpr like this.
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-12   #5
teh nuB!
[E]onian
supernooob

red dragon is somewhat of a Mystery
^^Apple does not sell iOS sir!They sell osX.

Sent from my iPhone 4s.
red dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-12   #6
Lead Lead
Administrator
12 years a admin!

Rig Gallery

KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!KiD0M4N is the One!
idea Re: Apple Pricing Mountain Lion at $19.99, Why?

Originally Posted by vijayninel View Post
I dont think that the decision was majorly influenced by Apples pricing of its OS. Apple has to price its OS low because hardly any people use it anyway. And no matter how good you claim the iOS is, its marketshare is still insignificant compared to Windows in the Desktop and laptop area. The pricing was probably influenced by Steven Sinofsky and his "Metro Brigade" who want to put a Windows 8 tablet in everyones hands.

I only wish they would sell me another Win 7 Pro licence for $40 ... as that is going to be the mainstream OS for the coming years.
I was not talking about iOS... but about Mac OS X.
Old 03-07-12   #7
Jeebus
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
forgiving your sins

RajaPraveen is extemely Distinguished
RajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely DistinguishedRajaPraveen is extemely Distinguished

Yeah, iOS has quite some market among consumers but OSX is the one which has tiny market share compared to any version of windows.

Based on reality the pricing of OSX will be the last thing on Microsoft's mind when they price Windows. With windows 8 Microsoft is trying new things and it is a bit cautious in the pricing because it does not consumers to stick to windows 7 and not upgrade the windows 8 hence the attractive upgrade price, to make older version windows users to upgrade to windows 8, get them used to windows 8 and in next release again get back to old Microsoft ways of pricing.

RajaPraveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-12   #8
Lead Lead
Administrator
12 years a admin!

Rig Gallery

I know about the absolute numbers about the market shares.

But what might be worrying Microsoft (just like they are freaking about the declining numbers of IE market share although they are still in top 2) is that Mac OS X has a feel good factor going (due to the parallel success of iOS) and its market share is rising quite rapidly...

So its natural for a consumer to worry about having to pay hundreds of dollars towards a operating system when they can get a pretty complete ALONG with the operating system (which doesn't even cost a bomb to upgrade) for a nice round number? Simplicity wins... most of the times.
Old 03-07-12   #9
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

Originally Posted by KiD0M4N View Post
I was not talking about iOS... but about Mac OS X.
Ah yes... sorry for the typo. That's what I meant - Mac OSX. Its actually so insignificant in the desktop/laptop market that one tends to forget the name.

Anyway, if you think Mac OSX or Linux threaten Windows 8 then you are much mistaken. Neither the Mac OSX or Linux are in a position to take advantage of Windows 8's imminent failure. Instead Windows 7 will become the mainstay until Windows 9 comes to the market.
Old 03-07-12   #10
Lead Lead
Administrator
12 years a admin!

Rig Gallery

idea Re: Apple Pricing Mountain Lion at $19.99, Why?

Ah yes... sorry for the typo. That's what I meant - Mac OSX. Its actually so insignificant in the desktop/laptop market that one tends to forget the name.

Anyway, if you think Mac OSX or Linux threaten Windows 8 then you are much mistaken. Neither the Mac OSX or Linux are in a position to take advantage of Windows 8's imminent failure. Instead Windows 7 will become the mainstay until Windows 9 comes to the market.
You mean like Windows XP before 7?

I have a hunch that Mac OS X (and thus Apple) stands to win a big increment in market share because of the flux Windows 8 is in. But hey, more competition the better eh?
Old 03-07-12   #11
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

You mean like Windows XP before 7?
Exactly.

I have a hunch that Mac OS X (and thus Apple) stands to win a big increment in market share because of the flux Windows 8 is in. But hey, more competition the better eh?
I would really love if there was some genuine competition to Windows. Personally, I would have loved to see some Linux OS's take advantage of this golden opportunity. This company (Microsoft) richly deserves to be taught a lesson and be brought to its knees, but unfortunately that's not going to happen this time around for a variety of reasons (which can be a whole different subject altogether).
Old 03-07-12   #12
teh priesT!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

DaRampage is highly ReputableDaRampage is highly ReputableDaRampage is highly ReputableDaRampage is highly Reputable

I agree to what vijay says. General public or organizations are not ready to accept Mac OSX so easily. If Windows 8 fails, the same story will be repeated like that happen when Vista failed.
DaRampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-12   #13
teh priesT!
[E]onian
[E]ddicted !

mohitgamer is highly Reputablemohitgamer is highly Reputablemohitgamer is highly Reputable

Neither the Mac OSX or Linux are in a position to take advantage of Windows 8's imminent failure. Instead Windows 7 will become the mainstay until Windows 9 comes to the market.
+1
Old 03-07-12   #14
Lead Lead
Administrator
12 years a admin!

Rig Gallery

I do not expect Mac OS X to become dominant... what I am expecting though is to see a appreciable acceptance of the OS in the general masses just because the competition is sucky (read Windows 8.)

Although Apple is also trying to integrate iOS and Mac OS X (they already have a plethora of apps and services shared between the two operating systems as well as sharing a lot of internals and APIs), they have not done the cardinal mistake of dumbind down a desktop OS just so that things are uniform.

Mac OS X Mountain Lion (the latest edition which I am running right now) is a very powerful operating system. I do my gaming, web development, database work, machine learning (using R and R Studio), etc on this and love how much power I have at my finger tips due to the UNIX underpinnings.

When I do go back to Windows from time to time (for work), I feel gimped at the desktop. Yes, its still a nice operating system, but for developers and creative artists, Mac OS X is a very viable option.
Old 03-07-12   #15
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
Puny human

dexbg is extremely Renowned
dexbg is extremely Renowneddexbg is extremely Renowned

Dont people need to buy new Macs to jump into the OSX pool .. No one will ditch their existing setup just for the sake of OSX

"I was there .. till the end"
dexbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply