Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Articles > Reviews & Previews
Register Forgot Password?
Follow Erodov on Twitter Follow Us
Join us on FaceBook Join Us
Post New Article  Comment

Article Tools Search this Article
Antec EarthWatts Platinum Series PSU
Date: 17-12-12
Topic: Reviews & Previews
Author: Haaris Shaikh

Index
Internals 
Index

Power Supply Unit (PSU) is one of the most important components of a computer and is often overlooked while building a system. No matter what the type of computer, ultimately its only as good as its performance. Whether its a rendering workstation worth Lakhs of rupees with dual processors, workstation graphics and stacks of enterprise edition Hard disk drives running 24/7 ... or a basic computer with the cheapest components only used for web surfing and excel sheets... or anywhere in between. The performance & stability of the components used (in that computer) depend on the cleanliness and efficiency of the power it receives from its PSU.

Sadly, most computers in India still house a poor quality generic PSU, just because they are cheap. These generic PSU are made of inferior quality components that usually fail over time. They only supply a minimal amount of power to the components and inconsistencies in that power can damage or at least degrade the components over time. Besides, they are not at all capable of cleaning up the power they supply. Resulting in 'dirty power' which may interrupt, obstruct, or otherwise degrade or limit the effective performance of the system. Not to mention the power loss due to inefficiency of these PSU, resulting in higher electricity bills.

Apart from all the above, generic PSUs are not really capable of supplying the rated power (watts) continuously. They label the power supply with peak wattage, which can only be achieved during some seconds. I have explained this in detail on the third page of the article. Generic power supplies use wires thinner than necessary, usually 20 AWG. The minimum required for today’s standards is 18 AWG. Also generic power supplies come with fewer cables and hardly ever with any auxiliary power connector for the video card.

And that's why the 80 PLUS (80+) certification is a must! A PSU’s job is to take current from your power outlet and convert it into usable power for your computer. Some power is wasted (as heat) in this process. An 80+ certified PSU is at least 80 percent efficient at 20%, 50% and 100% load rating. This means that when this PSU pulls a certain amount of wattage from the wall, a maximum of only 20% is lost. These 80 PLUS certified PSU are made using better quality components that protect the computer system, its components and give better performance and stability. A Standard 80 PLUS certified PSU has to be at least 80% efficient Those with better certifications than 80 PLUS Standard are further categorized as 80 PLUS Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum and Titanium and here are the efficiency levels required for certification:-

Even though the masses are ignorant, 80+ certified PSUs have been around for quite some time and are becoming popular among the techies. But the higher the rating, the more expensive the PSU. Therefore, most could only afford the Standard or Bronze rated 80+ PSU. The Silver & Gold rated 80+ PSU are very expensive and out of the reach of most Indians. Until the end of last year, Platinum rated 80+ PSU's were unheard of in India... the only Platinum rated PSUs released in India is almost twice as expensive as a Standard PSU of the same wattage. Antec changed that with the release of the EarthWatts Platinum Series PSUs in India.

Note: Even though this article is about Antec's EA Platinum Series that consists of 450W, 550W and 650W PSUs, I was supplied with the 650W PSU and we will use that for reference here.

Index
Internals 

Tools
Add to hawk's Karma
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
<< <    Next Page: Internals (Page 1 of 5)    >  >>
By vijayninel 18-12-12
Re: Antec EarthWatts Platinum Series PSU

Thanks for the great article hawk. However as you know most of us in India have to use a UPS which does a bit of power filtering on its own. How much more filtering if any, do these SMPS provide over that ?
By mav2000 18-12-12

Nice article hawk. Thanks
By hawk ♦ 18-12-12

Originally Posted by vijayninel View Post
Thanks for the great article hawk. However as you know most of us in India have to use a UPS which does a bit of power filtering on its own. How much more filtering if any, do these SMPS provide over that ?
Oh - I have never really used a UPS as we don't need it in Mumbai. But lemme do some research & get back to you on this.
By vijayninel 18-12-12

Originally Posted by hawk View Post
Oh - I have never really used a UPS as we don't need it in Mumbai. But lemme do some research & get back to you on this.
I do understand that Mumbai proper has continuous electricity, but unfortunately most of the people in India have to use UPS with their computers. These also filter power to some extent.
By ManISinJpr ♦ 18-12-12

I think this is one of the best articles on the PSU's. Well written and explained @hawk
I am sharing this on FB and would suggest to all members that we all share a single sharing policy, so peeps on Erodov who are my friends share the article from the original post and make Erodov in the list so we gain more for our forum.
By hawk ♦ 19-12-12

Thanks Manish .. glad you liked it 。◕‿◕。
Last edited by hawk; 19-12-12 at 02:32 AM..
By KrashNBurn 20-12-12

Nice review Hawk. That insight into the savings part is very nice. Will link this review and that section especially whenever the need arises. However I am not sure if I missed it somewhere, but I couldn't figure out what the retail cost of this unit is.

Coming to some aspects of the PSU
- Is it really such a big deal that a 450 - 650w PSU is not modular. It wouldn't have too many cables compared to an 850 watter anyway?
- Being a non modular unit helps keep the costs down a bit and having 4 PCIex cables increases that cable clutter. Also with not many people out there in the market that actually Xfire or SLi their cards (speaking in terms of target audience %) I guess its ok that it has only 2 PCIex.

Well that's what I feel.

If we could know the street price of these we could consider them for future builds I guess.
By hawk ♦ 22-12-12

Originally Posted by krashnburn View Post
Nice review Hawk. That insight into the savings part is very nice. Will link this review and that section especially whenever the need arises. However I am not sure if I missed it somewhere, but I couldn't figure out what the retail cost of this unit is.
If we could know the street price of these we could consider them for future builds I guess.
I did post the flipkart link to the 650W as a reference for the approx cost: (flipkart rate) but it seem out of stock. So, here are the links from Antec-India's official site with rates:
650W - Rs.7210/- Antec-India
550W - Rs.6680/- Antec-India
450W - Rs.6110/- Antec-India

Originally Posted by krashnburn View Post
Coming to some aspects of the PSU
- Is it really such a big deal that a 450 - 650w PSU is not modular. It wouldn't have too many cables compared to an 850 watter anyway?
- Being a non modular unit helps keep the costs down a bit and having 4 PCIex cables increases that cable clutter. Also with not many people out there in the market that actually Xfire or SLi their cards (speaking in terms of target audience %) I guess its ok that it has only 2 PCIex.
Well that's what I feel.
Totally agree with you. Furthermore, its fairly simple to hide the cable clutter in most of the decent chassis. And 2 x PCIex (6+2pins i.e. 2x150W) on the 650W is good enough for a GTX 580 (which consumes more power than the GTX 680) or the GigaHz Edition HD 7970, as long as its not being OCed too much. But, in an article I have to mention these points as cons (even though they maybe pros for most of us) simply because these are "SLI®-Ready" and "CrossFireX™ certified" Units .. which can easily be misrepresented or misleading to a newbie looking to use multiple high-end GPUs. The 650W is only good with 2 x GTX 660 Ti (without OCing) and nothing higher. While the 550W & the 450W are not at all advisable to be used with multiple GPUs.
By Antec 24-12-12

Originally Posted by vijayninel View Post
However as you know most of us in India have to use a UPS which does a bit of power filtering on its own. How much more filtering if any, do these SMPS provide over that ?
A PSU with active PFC would filter all necessary out. A UPS with filtering function before that would decrease this need in the PSU and prolong its life, because the PSU’s components have A- less to do and B- the filtering section gets “hit” by less dirty current. Having a UPS in front helps therefore. But cheaper UPS do not filter.
Last edited by vijayninel; 24-12-12 at 11:48 AM..
By XtreamGuy 24-12-12

Hi Guys,

Its available at Chennai IT Depot.

Regards,
By KrashNBurn 24-12-12

Originally Posted by XtreamGuy View Post
Hi Guys,

Its available at Chennai IT Depot.

Regards,
This place has pretty good customer service however the flip side is their prices are always sky high.
I'd buy from here only as a last resort.
By uniquegamer 28-12-12

Good platinum psu in budget builder's price.
But at that price(flip's price) one can get corsair/seasonic/antec's higher wattage silver psu.
By hawk ♦ 01-01-13

Originally Posted by uniquegamer View Post
Good platinum psu in budget builder's price.
But at that price(flip's price) one can get corsair/seasonic/antec's higher wattage silver psu.
True that .. but this is Platinum rated. Check the page 4 of this article to see just how more you end up spending in a year or 3, if you opt for a silver rated PSU. Also, the 650W is capable of supplying +700W of continues power to the PC (which actually is not possible with certain 700W corsair PSU series). There's a reason they are not cheaper, even at higher rating. Not to mention the dirty current filtering, heat, noise, etc which is far better in this PSU.

Yet, this PSU IS a little more expensive in India, then abroad. But check costs here rather than flipkart:
650W - Rs.7210/- Antec-India
550W - Rs.6680/- Antec-India
450W - Rs.6110/- Antec-India
By uniquegamer 01-01-13

Price is reasonable in case of the 650w at 7.2k
A seasonic 80+ bronze 620 is at 5.4k
So 1.8k more for extra 30watt(& also much more pure power) & platinum certification is worth to invest on that psu.
Yeah the pc components in India is costly(the custom duties & other taxes).
Post New Article  Comment
Please share with friends!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search