Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Electronics and Consumer Durables > Android Phones
Register Forgot Password?

Old 01-11-13   #1
The Game is On!
Community Moderator
"Derevaun Seraun"

Interesting Android 4.4 "KitKat"

The latest version of Android has been announced along with a new nexus device. The Android 4.4 KiKat debuts along with the new Nexus 5 and it brings a lot of new things to the surface.

Android 4.4 brings in a new phone app which prioritizes the contacts on the basis of frequently dialed contacts. With the new phone app you can search for nearby places too. The caller ID now automatically detects the number if it's not in your contact list by checking with a local listing on Google maps.

The hangout app has also been changed and now all your SMS and MMS are now together along with your conversations and video calls.
The emojis are now available on the Google keyboard by default. The new framework also allows you to print photos, documents, and web pages from your phone or tablet. You can print to any printer connected to Google Cloud Print or to HP ePrint printers (limited to HP only for now).

Another cool feature added is that you don't need to touch your phone to open Google now. Just say "OK Google" when on the home screen and get things done. Along with this there is also the "immersive mode". The app, book, game now will take center stage as the navigation interface disappears (devices without hardware keys).

Other small features include Bluetooth MAP support, Chromecast support, built in Device management, Full-screen wallpapers with preview, HDR+ photography, Infrared blasting, Low-power audio playback, Music and movie-seeking from lock screen and secure app sandboxes.

Google Android 4.4 will run smoothly on even the low-end devices with 512MB of RAM. The earlier versions of android lagged a lot in the low-end devices. With KitKat, Google has slimmed down the memory usage by removing a lot of background apps hence reducing the overall memory consumption. Funny thing though, the Google Nexus is not getting the latest android version.

The Nexus 5 comes with Android 4.4 out of the box. The latest version of Android will soon hit the Nexus 4, 7, 10, Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One Google Edition.

Here is the promo video of the new Nexus 5:

sanju123, nikthegr8 and talha5007 like this.
Old 01-11-13   #2
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
FML!! >_>

nikthegr8 is very Honorablenikthegr8 is very Honorable
Re: Android 4.4 "KitKat"

and then there is native screen recording
nikthegr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13   #3
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
#Feint - DnB B-)

acerulz is Mysterious

I can see lot of kitkats on the surface though
acerulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13   #4
CoMod
Community Moderator
Sellers beware of the invasion

invader is simply Greatinvader is simply Greatinvader is simply Greatinvader is simply Greatinvader is simply Greatinvader is simply Greatinvader is simply Greatinvader is simply Greatinvader is simply Greatinvader is simply Greatinvader is simply Great

I'll prefer to have those chocolate kitkats than the android version ... bored of it
lastAvenger and HKS like this.
invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13   #5
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

manojcitc is Notable

Originally Posted by csunit37 View Post

Google Android 4.4 will run smoothly on even the low-end devices with 512MB of RAM. The earlier versions of android lagged a lot in the low-end devices. With KitKat, Google has slimmed down the memory usage by removing a lot of background apps hence reducing the overall memory consumption. Funny thing though, the Google Nexus is not getting the latest android version.
And still Google announced that Galaxy Nexus with 1 GB ram officially wii not get android 4.4..

manojcitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13   #6
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Y U TYPE LYK DIS?

paisededo is Notable

Waiting to get 4.4 on my 2012 Nexus 7.
paisededo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13   #7
teh nuB!

sspradhan is Mysterious

The best thing about this is they are launching Nexus 5 in India officially through the Play Store. India being one of the first few countries to get it. And its priced competitively too. The 16 gig goes for 29k and 32gig is for 33k.

The perks of having an Indian head for Android.
sspradhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13   #8
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

kundalus is very Notable

Originally Posted by manojcitc View Post
And still Google announced that Galaxy Nexus with 1 GB ram officially wii not get android 4.4..

Thats coz of the cpu that sits inside it. The Texas instrument CPU has no support on the new kernel. But overall, it shoudl bring lot of improvements even to the lower end phones. Also, lets not forget the implementation of the new batching used for sensors. Though a small amount, but we will be able to save a bit of battery. Also, since they have said it will function on 512mb ram, we will see the markets flooded with all Samsung low end phones running the brand new os soon....:-P
kundalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13   #9
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
Gooner !

marX is Mysterious

But the question still remains......can it play Crysis ?
talha5007 likes this.
Intel i5 4440 : Gigabyte B85 D3H : AMD HD 6850 1GB : 4GB x2 G.Skill Sniper 1600mhz : WD Green 1 TB x2 : Seasonic G550RM 80plus gold : Dell 23" IPS Display : Asus 24x DVD writer : APC Smart UPS 750 : Cooler Master Elite 311 : Magnat Monitor Supreme 1000 floor standers with Yamaha AS-500 Integrated amp.
marX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13   #10
Banned

sunnybhsn1 is Mysterious

everything is perfect wid nexus5,the only problem is the battery
sunnybhsn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13   #11
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

lastAvenger is Notable

I wish Google would launch Nexus 2013 in India too!
Old 01-11-13   #12
teh nuB!
Hail to the KiNg :D

sinnet is Notable

Love the voice activated features.
Finally something different than pressing the power button to wake device.
sinnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13   #13
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
~404

roofrider is Mysterious

Originally Posted by kundalus View Post
Thats coz of the cpu that sits inside it. The Texas instrument CPU has no support on the new kernel. But overall, it shoudl bring lot of improvements even to the lower end phones. Also, lets not forget the implementation of the new batching used for sensors. Though a small amount, but we will be able to save a bit of battery. Also, since they have said it will function on 512mb ram, we will see the markets flooded with all Samsung low end phones running the brand new os soon....:-P
I don't think OEMs will provide 4.4 update to the existing low end models. Samsung will release a new low end model instead, they release a new phone every fortnight lol.

Last edited by roofrider; 01-11-13 at 03:17 PM.
roofrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13   #14
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

kundalus is very Notable

Originally Posted by roofrider View Post
I don't OEMs will provide 4.4 update to the existing low end models. Samsung will release a new low end model instead, they release a new phone every fortnight lol.
Ya, thats wht i meant. They will flood the market with even more launches, every week i must say...:-D
kundalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13   #15
The Game is On!
Community Moderator
"Derevaun Seraun"

csunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Greatcsunit37 is simply Great

Originally Posted by roofrider View Post
I don't OEMs will provide 4.4 update to the existing low end models. Samsung will release a new low end model instead, they release a new phone every fortnight lol.
Exactly! Here are the list of phones getting the KitKat treatment (early list, devices may be added later):

Samsung
  • Samsung Galaxy S4
  • Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom
  • Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  • Samsung Galaxy Mega (no confirmation whether the 5.8, 6.3 or both)
  • Samsung Galaxy S3
  • Samsung Galaxy Note II
  • Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 & Tab 2
Sony
  • Sony Xperia Z1
  • Sony Xperia Z
  • Sony Xperia Z Ultra
  • Sony Xperia Tablet Z
  • Sony Xperia Tablet S
HTC
  • HTC One