Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. (http://www.erodov.com/forums/)
-   Android Phones (http://www.erodov.com/forums/electronics-consumer-durables/android-phones/)
-   -   Android 4.4 "KitKat" (http://www.erodov.com/forums/android-4-4-kitkat/68238.html)

csunit37 01-11-13 12:03 PM

Android 4.4 "KitKat"

The latest version of Android has been announced along with a new nexus device. The Android 4.4 KiKat debuts along with the new Nexus 5 and it brings a lot of new things to the surface.

Android 4.4 brings in a new phone app which prioritizes the contacts on the basis of frequently dialed contacts. With the new phone app you can search for nearby places too. The caller ID now automatically detects the number if it's not in your contact list by checking with a local listing on Google maps.

The hangout app has also been changed and now all your SMS and MMS are now together along with your conversations and video calls.
The emojis are now available on the Google keyboard by default. The new framework also allows you to print photos, documents, and web pages from your phone or tablet. You can print to any printer connected to Google Cloud Print or to HP ePrint printers (limited to HP only for now).

Another cool feature added is that you don't need to touch your phone to open Google now. Just say "OK Google" when on the home screen and get things done. Along with this there is also the "immersive mode". The app, book, game now will take center stage as the navigation interface disappears (devices without hardware keys).

Other small features include Bluetooth MAP support, Chromecast support, built in Device management, Full-screen wallpapers with preview, HDR+ photography, Infrared blasting, Low-power audio playback, Music and movie-seeking from lock screen and secure app sandboxes.

Google Android 4.4 will run smoothly on even the low-end devices with 512MB of RAM. The earlier versions of android lagged a lot in the low-end devices. With KitKat, Google has slimmed down the memory usage by removing a lot of background apps hence reducing the overall memory consumption. Funny thing though, the Google Nexus is not getting the latest android version.

The Nexus 5 comes with Android 4.4 out of the box. The latest version of Android will soon hit the Nexus 4, 7, 10, Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One Google Edition.

Here is the promo video of the new Nexus 5:

nikthegr8 01-11-13 12:45 PM

Re: Android 4.4 "KitKat"

and then there is native screen recording :D

acerulz 01-11-13 02:49 PM

I can see lot of kitkats on the surface though :p

invader 01-11-13 02:58 PM

I'll prefer to have those chocolate kitkats than the android version :P ... bored of it :(

manojcitc 01-11-13 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csunit37 (Post 896910)

Google Android 4.4 will run smoothly on even the low-end devices with 512MB of RAM. The earlier versions of android lagged a lot in the low-end devices. With KitKat, Google has slimmed down the memory usage by removing a lot of background apps hence reducing the overall memory consumption. Funny thing though, the Google Nexus is not getting the latest android version.

And still Google announced that Galaxy Nexus with 1 GB ram officially wii not get android 4.4..

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 4

paisededo 01-11-13 03:12 PM

Waiting to get 4.4 on my 2012 Nexus 7.

sspradhan 01-11-13 03:27 PM

The best thing about this is they are launching Nexus 5 in India officially through the Play Store. India being one of the first few countries to get it. And its priced competitively too. The 16 gig goes for 29k and 32gig is for 33k.

The perks of having an Indian head for Android. :D

kundalus 01-11-13 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manojcitc (Post 896941)
And still Google announced that Galaxy Nexus with 1 GB ram officially wii not get android 4.4..

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 4

Thats coz of the cpu that sits inside it. The Texas instrument CPU has no support on the new kernel. But overall, it shoudl bring lot of improvements even to the lower end phones. Also, lets not forget the implementation of the new batching used for sensors. Though a small amount, but we will be able to save a bit of battery. Also, since they have said it will function on 512mb ram, we will see the markets flooded with all Samsung low end phones running the brand new os soon....:-P

marX 01-11-13 03:38 PM

But the question still remains......can it play Crysis ?

sunnybhsn1 01-11-13 03:45 PM

everything is perfect wid nexus5,the only problem is the battery :(

lastAvenger 01-11-13 03:49 PM

I wish Google would launch Nexus 2013 in India too!

sinnet 01-11-13 04:06 PM

Love the voice activated features.
Finally something different than pressing the power button to wake device.

roofrider 01-11-13 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kundalus (Post 896946)
Thats coz of the cpu that sits inside it. The Texas instrument CPU has no support on the new kernel. But overall, it shoudl bring lot of improvements even to the lower end phones. Also, lets not forget the implementation of the new batching used for sensors. Though a small amount, but we will be able to save a bit of battery. Also, since they have said it will function on 512mb ram, we will see the markets flooded with all Samsung low end phones running the brand new os soon....:-P

I don't think OEMs will provide 4.4 update to the existing low end models. Samsung will release a new low end model instead, they release a new phone every fortnight lol.

kundalus 01-11-13 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roofrider (Post 896957)
I don't OEMs will provide 4.4 update to the existing low end models. Samsung will release a new low end model instead, they release a new phone every fortnight lol.

Ya, thats wht i meant. They will flood the market with even more launches, every week i must say...:-D

csunit37 01-11-13 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roofrider (Post 896957)
I don't OEMs will provide 4.4 update to the existing low end models. Samsung will release a new low end model instead, they release a new phone every fortnight lol.

Exactly! Here are the list of phones getting the KitKat treatment (early list, devices may be added later):

Samsung
  • Samsung Galaxy S4
  • Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom
  • Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  • Samsung Galaxy Mega (no confirmation whether the 5.8, 6.3 or both)
  • Samsung Galaxy S3
  • Samsung Galaxy Note II
  • Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 & Tab 2
Sony
  • Sony Xperia Z1
  • Sony Xperia Z
  • Sony Xperia Z Ultra
  • Sony Xperia Tablet Z
  • Sony Xperia Tablet S
HTC
  • HTC One