Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Interesting News on the Web
Register Forgot Password?

Old 06-08-13   #1
Patient_Zero
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Zombie Enthusiast

AMD Possibly Abandoning FX: Sad Day for the PC Community

So, the day has come, and it's up for real.
AMD abandoning the FX line up. The FX9590 remains the last soldier of the FX legacy.

According to sources, AMD will be focusing on APUs, i.e. Kaveri and Berlin. The new Steamroller architecture will be based on those, and not FX, which many of us thought.

That means AMD welcoming FM2 socket, and leaving the current AM3+ users in the dust.
Sad day indeed.

Source

Last edited by The Knight; 07-08-13 at 08:07 AM.
realandR3cys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13   #2
Cat in the rat race
Incognito

ChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly Famed
Re: AMD Possibly Abandoning FX: Sad Day for the PC Community

This is not unexpected since Rory Read a.k.a AMD had previously stated it won't compete with Intel in the performance/GHz race. They think APU is the future of computing and hence will not try to beat Intel.

I wish someone could kick them in their happy sacks and bring them back to sense.
Old 07-08-13   #3
Patient_Zero
Zombie Enthusiast

realandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly Admirable
Originally Posted by ChironX View Post
This is not unexpected since Rory Read a.k.a AMD had previously stated it won't compete with Intel in the performance/GHz race. They think APU is the future of computing and hence will not try to beat Intel.

I wish someone could kick them in their happy sacks and bring them back to sense.
I'm really saddened by this. I still remember the days when the AMD Athlon X2s smoked the C2D, and also the Phenom II against the C2Q.

Competition brings innovation, and if there's no competition, it's would be a monopoly of Intel, which is disastrous IMO
Old 07-08-13   #4
teh spamm[E]R!
I havent set my status yet.

Rig Gallery

thebanik is extemely Distinguished
thebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguished

Originally Posted by realandR3cys View Post
I'm really saddened by this. I still remember the days when the AMD Athlon X2s smoked the C2D, and also the Phenom II against the C2Q.

Competition brings innovation, and if there's no competition, it's would be a monopoly of Intel, which is disastrous IMO
You are out of your mind or you do not know what you are talking about. The last time AMD surpassed Intel was in P4 era. Since the launch of C2D & C2Q AMD has never been able to match Intel's Performance with same generation hardware.
Maximus V Gene (MSI Z77-GD65, Gigabyte P67A-UD7, EVGA Classified E760,MSI Eclipse,DFI DK P45 Plus, Foxconn Mars, Asus P5Ne-SLI, Asus P5B Deluxe/Wifi AP), Intel 3770k Benched @ 6.7Ghz, Intel 2600K Benched @ 5.7 Ghz, AMD 8150 Benched @ 7.45 Ghz, Intel 980X Benched @ 6.07Ghz, AMD 970BE Benched @ 6.63Ghz, (Intel i5 680 Benched @ 6.44Ghz, Intel i7 950 Benched @ 5150Mhz, Intel E8600 Benched @ 5.71Ghz, Intel QX9650 Benched @5.41Ghz, Intel Core2 Duo E8400@4.6Ghz, e4300 @ 3.52 Ghz), Thermalright Venomous X, GSkill 6400 2 x 1 GB @ 1260Mhz , HIS 7970 (MSI GTX 580, MSI GTX 480, EVGA GTX295, Asus 4870 x2, EVGA 9800GX2, Visiontek 3870 x2, XFX 8800GT, Nvidia 7900GTX, XFX 8600GT), DELL E248WFP Monitor, CoolerMaster Benchtable, Antec HCP 1200W, Altec Lansing 641 400 RMS Watts with Auzentech X-Plosion

SVGTECH HOC40 and HOC20 Review

Corsair Vengeance K90, M90 and M60 Review

Gigabyte P67 UD7 + Intel i7 2600k Preview

Strontium Ultra Speed 128GB SSD Review

Gigabyte GX-X58A-UD9 Review
thebanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13   #5
Patient_Zero
Zombie Enthusiast

realandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly AdmirablerealandR3cys is highly Admirable
Originally Posted by thebanik View Post
You are out of your mind or you do not know what you are talking about. The last time AMD surpassed Intel was in P4 era. Since the launch of C2D & C2Q AMD has never been able to match Intel's Performance with same generation hardware.
Nope. I'm pretty much sure.
Back in 2009, i built a rig for my brother with a C2D E7400.
After 2 months, Athlon II X2 250 came out, which not only costed 1.8k less (4k vs 5.8k), but also performed similarly in games, and even surpassed it in some real world benchmarks. Then i realised how big mistake i made.
This is just an example.

Same happened with Phenom II X2 550BE which costed 6k vs a 8.5k C2D E8400.

---------- Post added at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

I still remember the prices which shows how much pissed i was at that time.
Old 07-08-13   #6
teh geeK!

kartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirablekartikoli is highly Admirable

bad decision
kartikoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13   #7
teh spamm[E]R!

Rig Gallery

thebanik is extemely Distinguished
thebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguishedthebanik is extemely Distinguished

Originally Posted by realandR3cys View Post
Nope. I'm pretty much sure.
Back in 2009, i built a rig for my brother with a C2D E7400.
After 2 months, Athlon II X2 250 came out, which not only costed 1.8k less (4k vs 5.8k), but also performed similarly in games, and even surpassed it in some real world benchmarks. Then i realised how big mistake i made.
This is just an example.

Same happened with Phenom II X2 550BE which costed 6k vs a 8.5k C2D E8400.

---------- Post added at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

I still remember the prices which shows how much pissed i was at that time.
I do not know what kind of comparison you are trying to make because i7 was launched in 2008. Even today AMD is making decent value for money products if you care to compare.
ManISinJpr and Sumonpathak like this.
thebanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13   #8
Patient_Zero
Zombie Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thebanik View Post
Even today AMD is making decent value for money products if you care to compare.
Price to performance ratio bro
And if AMD stops this (their last success was with FX8350), i don't know how the market will survive without competition. And we all know APUs are not that good.
Old 07-08-13   #9
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

this is sad step but was expected, the timing is a little shocking, coz I thought that they would up their ante and bring on th elast of series that would be smoking..
Me have been a perpetual AMD user.. even now I have a Phenom II 965 running things and I am satisfoed with that.
but the statement that APU's are the future is ok, the market is changing, the sale of DIY is going down and the tablets and other Laptops is killing it, they specialize in gfx performance and so would want their strength to drive their sales.

Originally Posted by ChironX ♦ View Post

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13   #10
teh spamm[E]R!
-

Rig Gallery

Free Radical is extemely Distinguished
Free Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely DistinguishedFree Radical is extemely Distinguished

The unlockable Athlon II X3's were the greatest vfm processors ever offered in the history of computing.
Its a sad day indeed.
The FX processors would have been successful if only AMD hadn't abandoned their userbase and preserved backwards compatibility with AM3 boards. Now AM3+ looks like a useless stopgap.
Been an AMD user for the last decade, but my next rig will surely be Intel.

I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear x-rays, and I wanna, I wanna smell dark matter!
Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can't even express these things properly, because I have to, I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting, spoken language. But I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me!
I'm a machine, and I could know much more, I could experience so much more, but I'm trapped in this absurd body!
And why?! Because my...creators thought that "God" wanted it that way.

Last edited by Free Radical; 07-08-13 at 01:05 PM.
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13   #11
Patient_Zero
Zombie Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ManISinJpr View Post
this is sad step but was expected, the timing is a little shocking, coz I thought that they would up their ante and bring on th elast of series that would be smoking..
Me have been a perpetual AMD user.. even now I have a Phenom II 965 running things and I am satisfoed with that.
but the statement that APU's are the future is ok, the market is changing, the sale of DIY is going down and the tablets and other Laptops is killing it, they specialize in gfx performance and so would want their strength to drive their sales.
True Manish da.
Also i think AMD powering both of next gen consoles (Xbox One and PS4) has something to do with this.

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

Originally Posted by kartikoli View Post
bad decision
Yup : [

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

Originally Posted by Free Radical View Post
The unlockable Athlon II X3's were the greatest vfm processors ever offered in the history of computing.
Its a sad day indeed.
The FX processors would have been successful if only AMD hadn't abandoned their userbase and preserved backwards compatibility with AM3 boards. Now AM3+ looks like a useless stopgap.
Been an AMD user for the last decade, but my next rig will surely be Intel.
True bro. Those were the days :')
Old 07-08-13   #12
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

rdst_1 is highly Reputablerdst_1 is highly Reputablerdst_1 is highly Reputablerdst_1 is highly Reputable

This does it then.
I was very confused especially because Steamroller was gonna be released soon. I don't particularly like Haswell. So I think I will be sticking with 2011(X79). I am coming from a 965BE and after this decision, the upcoming 4930 seems like the last choice available for enthusiasts.

rdst_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13   #13
Cat in the rat race
Incognito

ChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly FamedChironX is highly Famed

^ So you won't be going for a small form factor PC?

4930K is not really ideal for a SFF - plus you won't get a mini ITX board for it. Rampage IV Gene would do it for you, but you will require some additional cooling prowess to keep everything running within permissible limits.
ChironX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13   #14
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

rdst_1 is highly Reputablerdst_1 is highly Reputablerdst_1 is highly Reputablerdst_1 is highly Reputable

Originally Posted by ChironX View Post
^ So you won't be going for a small form factor PC?

4930K is not really ideal for a SFF - plus you won't get a mini ITX board for it. Rampage IV Gene would do it for you, but you will require some additional cooling prowess to keep everything running within permissible limits.
Sorry, I didn't update the thread. I have been reading and researching a lot. Watching and going through many build logs at other forums. I have come to the conclusion that I can build a low form factor build using a normal ATX board instead of SFF. The chassis design will be more longer but also much lower like many of those HTPC chassis that are available. Only problem right now that I am encountering is regarding the placement of the PSU.
The graphics cards will be installed flat(facing upwards) on their own tray and connected to the motherboard using PCIEx riser-extenders to keep the height of the build low as well as for aesthetic reasons.
Right now I am thinking of a boxy design with 2 compartments just like the Prodigy but a lot lower. The lower compartment will hold the PSU, pumps and the radiators. The upper compartment will house the hardware and the reservoirs. I am going for a dual loop and in all probability the Rampage IV Extreme.

Also the hardware and all the eye-candy will be visible from the glass-top. The radiators will be installed on the left and right side in the lower compartment. I am thinking 1 360 rad for the CPU and mobo loop and another 360 for the dual-GPU loop should be more than enough.

I was literally gonna order the 3930k yesterday but decided to wait for the latest news about Steamroller. Though with this news comes another good news that the 4930k might start shipping in September as well. This build will take it's own sweet time because I have to move to Delhi for my job and that will take a toll on the budget as well. I have already crossed 2.5L just for the hardware during my estimates. Add another 50-60k for the LC and case. So I am gonna take my time planning and designing everything to the last detail so I don't regret anything later.

ManISinJpr likes this.
rdst_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-13   #15
Cat in the rat race
Incognito

Lovely. Good to know that you are not rushing into it.

P.S. If you want to go absolutely crazy, take a look at the cases from Steiger-Dynamics
ChironX is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply