Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Hardware Zone > Graphics Cards
Register Forgot Password?

Old 30-05-09   #1
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery
AMD-ATI Forcing Manufacturers Not to Improvise

AMD-ATI Forcing Manufacturers Not to Improvise

Recently two famous Manufacturers, Palit Microsystems and Gainward have announced plans to stop producing ATI Radeon graphics cards. The reasons for this are said to be that that the AMD-ATI no longer welcomes and in fact penalises, its manufacturers to create own innovative designs of graphics cards.

AMD-ATI reportedly wants manufactures to closely follow the reference design given to them and not make cards which perform significantly better than other cards of the same type from competing manufacturers. In fact the preference is shifting to giving the manufacturing contracts to third party manufacturers and then sell them to the “manufacturers” who sticker and box them with their brands. ATI now wants manufacturers to compete on bundles such as in included game. Posters, packaging, minor variations in price etc. It does not want them to compete on technical specifications.

Both Palit and Gainward wanted to make their own heavily modded designs which were heavily tweaked and overclocked to give them a performance edge. last year Gainward released the ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics card with GDDR5 memory, a type which ATI wanted to be installed only on the HD 4870 at the time. The DDR5 memory enhanced the performance of the HD 4850 so much that it was comparable to the more expensive HD 4870. These cards were hugely popular amongst end consumers. As a result ATI and other card manufactures were so upset by these innovations that as punishment the ATI has not allocated any ATI Radeon HD 4770 and HD 4890 chips for Gainward and Palit this time around.

The stifling moves by ATI make some business sense as innovative cards from some manufacturers, affect sales of other manufacturers and creates an inventory backlog. This ultimately hurts ATI’s over all sales. However the moves to stifle innovation reduce consumer choice and the customer is the end looser.

Old 30-05-09   #2
teh geeK!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

prajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famedprajith is highly Famed
Re: AMD-ATI Forcing Manufacturers Not to Improvise

man that is some sad news.
I hope ATI realizes the mistake before its too late

---------------------------------------------------------
Home : Core i5 3470, Z77, 4x4 GB Corsair Vengeance, Corsair 400R
Travel & Work : Dell Latitude E6320

prajith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-09   #3
iEvangelist
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
GET PEBBLE.

Rig Gallery

Ad1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply GreatAd1tya is simply Great

I actually like this move. We'll actually get decent bundles now.
Misc : Playstation 3, Xbox 360, iPhone 5, Nexus 4, iPad (3rd gen) 32GB.
Ad1tya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-09   #4
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian

Prophet of the Pimps is highly AdmirableProphet of the Pimps is highly AdmirableProphet of the Pimps is highly AdmirableProphet of the Pimps is highly AdmirableProphet of the Pimps is highly AdmirableProphet of the Pimps is highly Admirable

Who the hell needs bundle when we can get more PPPPoooooooooooowwweeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr (Insert image of Jeremy Clarkson.)
Old 31-05-09   #5
Heligoland
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Hibernating.

SidK!! is highly FamedSidK!! is highly FamedSidK!! is highly FamedSidK!! is highly FamedSidK!! is highly FamedSidK!! is highly FamedSidK!! is highly FamedSidK!! is highly Famed

What kinda dumb move is this???Nvidia rocks

I was commenting on the absurdity of the assumption that Mario>Freeman

To qualify my statement - Mario is an Italian immigrant plumber who spends his life chasing a dame who refuses to let him bang her.

Freeman is a physicist who saves the world (multiple times) with a crowbar. And he manages to get Alyx Vance to fall in love with him without needing mushrooms, stars or jumping on enemies.
SidK!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-09   #6
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Originally Posted by SidK!! View Post
What kinda dumb move is this???Nvidia rocks
they are doing exactly what Nvidia has been doing lol
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-09   #7
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian

Prophet of the Pimps is highly AdmirableProphet of the Pimps is highly AdmirableProphet of the Pimps is highly AdmirableProphet of the Pimps is highly AdmirableProphet of the Pimps is highly AdmirableProphet of the Pimps is highly Admirable

too bad amd still doesnt have the price to performance ratio.
Prophet of the Pimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-09   #8
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

stonedsurd is extremely Renowned
stonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renowned

^They do in GPUs, not in CPUs.

But it's also odd, because none of the 4770 on sale are reference designs. ATI doesn't seem to have issues with that.
stonedsurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-09   #9
teh geeK!
[E]onian

techster is highly Admirabletechster is highly Admirabletechster is highly Admirabletechster is highly Admirabletechster is highly Admirabletechster is highly Admirabletechster is highly Admirable

To tell you the truth, Palit was sort of looking for trouble with the whole 4850 + GDDR5 fiasco. The thing with ATi is that the main difference between their mid-range and high-end cards (at that time) was just the VRAM used, compared to Nvidia that had actually cut down the memory interface from 512 to 448-bit in their mid-range cards. No board manufacturer can change a card's memory interface, but changing the VRAM modules from GDDR3 to GDDR5 would have been pretty easy. And selling it for less than the 4870 and giving similar performance would have aggravated AMD for sure. But maybe AMD shouldn't resort to stifling all innovation because of one isolated incident.
E8400 @4GHz (Ultima 90) | Abit IP35-E | 4GB DDR2 @900MHz | Corsair TX650 | Zotac GTX 280 | Coolermaster CM 690 + 6 Fans | 1TB Caviar Green | 500GB+360GB Seagate | Razer Lachesis + Logitech MX518 + QcK Mini | Altec Lansing MX5021 + X-Fi XtremeMusic | Dell 2209WA 22" eIPS

Mirror's Edge (PC) Review

Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA Review
techster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-09   #10
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian

good god i am bone head. i meant to say nvidia instead of amd.
Prophet of the Pimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-09   #11
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
is demotivated to do
absolutely anything!

BLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly FamedBLuEBLOODED is highly Famed

Hmmm, good move, because be it a single incident, once Manufacturers have the license, they can still modify it, like the case of Gainward, but ATI should have moved on and introduced some modifications like reducing bandwidth to mid ranged carda along with the usual VRAM change, but then again, that would result in slower mid range cards...

Better to stick to simple business tactics and get the results, and that's what ATI has done...

http://speedtest.10fastfingers.com/b...m_score_CK.png
Visit the Typing Test and try!

BLuEBLOODED is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply