Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Everything Under the Sun
Register Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: Will Amazon's entry mean doom for other Indian e-tailers ?
Yes 6 9.52%
No 28 44.44%
Dont know/Cant say 2 3.17%
Who cares as long as I get the goods at the lowest price 27 42.86%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-12   #1
Unelected
Staff
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery
Interesting Amazon Finally Arrives in India - Is Flipkart Doomed ?

The original Jungleee

The world's largest online retailer Amazon.com Inc entered India on today with the launch of its shopping website Junglee.com: Shop Online and Compare Prices for Books, Mobiles, Clothing and More

Junglee.com will offer more than 12 million products from over 14,000 Indian and global brands, Amazon said in a statement, including the retailer's top-selling Kindle e-book reader.

"We are excited to give customers in India a single online starting point where they can shop a wide selection of products sold by local and global retailers, and make informed purchasing decisions," Amit Agarwal, Amazon.com vice president said in press release.

Now the plot will thicken and I expect the losses to increase for online e-tailers as they try to outdo each other and grab the limited Indian market. While Amazon has deep pockets thanks to its highly overvalued stock, Filpkart.com has established itself as a reliable and trusted seller in the Indian market. Amazon's entry is also bad news for other struggling Indian e-tailers and Ebay.in

Only time will tell as to who is the last man standing or if they can make peace to share the cake.

Free Radical and syedthedevil like this.
Old 02-02-12   #2
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
trolling around

baba doga is Notable
Re: Amazon Finally Arrives in India - Is Flipkart Doomed ?

I am willing to boast that the last option on the poll was probably put together with me in mind

---------- Post added at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 AM ----------

awesome song mister.

Please allow:

JD666 likes this.
baba doga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12   #3
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
Puny human

dexbg is extremely Renowned
dexbg is extremely Renowneddexbg is extremely Renowned

So is Junglee just the preview to Amazon or is it going to the India face of Amazon as a whole.. ??

I like the website .. good start.

Also I had a look at the prices offered for the SGSII and it lists 6 sellers but the pricing will obviously vary depending upon local VAT.

The lowest price was still excluding 4% VAT so it rounds off to the same amount.

"I was there .. till the end"
dexbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12   #4
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

Rig Gallery

JD666 is highly ProminentJD666 is highly ProminentJD666 is highly Prominent

nope dont think so.. Theres enough to go around for everyone.. And flipkart has made quite a lead even though with a limited variety... Amazon can win and win on few points.

a) If they get products from abroad for sale in India and provide warranty/replacement etc
b) Variety, variety and variety
c) Pricing - their initial marketing budget should be discounts and cheap prices, that will establish them in the market in no time...

Nothing to woo the indian buyer, other than giving him the confidence he cant get it any cheaper anywhere else, even if he tried...
JD666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12   #5
Unelected
Staff
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Some important pieces of info that I had missed.
Besides amazon.com, shopping channels on Junglee on day one include Homeshop18.com, UniverCell, Hidesign, Gitanjali, The Bombay Store, Fabindia, Bata India Ltd, Dabur Uveda, Microsoft India Store and Reebok. Customers cannot buy on Junglee — they can buy online by following the link to the seller’s website. They can also find a seller’s physical store or place an order by phone.

The company claims that at launch, junglee.com is a gateway to 1.2 crore products and 14,000 brands, across 25 categories, including mobile phones, cameras, toys and games, baby products, books, music, movies and TV, clothing, jewellery, and kitchen and home products. The site will operate in Beta mode over the ‘next several months’.
The site is inviting retailers in India to be part of an Amazon Seller Services programme, by listing their products on junglee.com for free. Retailers need to create an account, upload and refresh their product catalogue. Junglee will build a product detail page, create advertising and display targeted product ads as buying options when customers search or shop for that or a related product.
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...ry-and-economy
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12   #6
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
Puny human

Originally Posted by JD666 ♥ View Post
Nothing to woo the indian buyer, other than giving him the confidence he cant get it any cheaper anywhere else, even if he tried...
TV ads and discounts and it will sell (like LetsBuy did ).

The big differentiators here will be the usage of social media to magnify its reach. If I were on the marketing team .. this would be a big priority.

Social media is still largely a virgin territory in India .. with a big player like Amazon I expect this is the path they will choose.

Partnerships with various Social networks and direct promotion. The way Vodafone entered in the Indian Market and how quickly it became a house hold name. You have to create an identity .. like the little pug did for Vodafone.

They are cleverly masking their Amazon identity behind Junglee .. good marketing. Junglee will the 'cool new' place to shop from.
If they are up for it .. the imminent Valentine Season is a perfect launchpad for their target customer base.
JD666 likes this.
Old 02-02-12   #7
teh geeK!
[E]onian
Returns.

SEB47 is highly ProminentSEB47 is highly ProminentSEB47 is highly Prominent
Cod or no cod?

Sent from my Optimus 2X
http://bfbc2.statsverse.com/sig/clean9/pc/SEB47.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1301111051.png
SEB47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12   #8
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
Puny human

As of now Amazon isnt selling directly ,, its just a listing service .. aggregater ..
The terms n conditions of the sale still depend on the individual seller.

Lets see how things shape up.
Old 02-02-12   #9
teh Paint Whisperer!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Whispering to my i20

sohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Greatsohail99 is simply Great

It just links to Amazon.com for things like premium engine oils and stuff!

At least out of all the e-portals its the only one with a 'automotive' section!
baba doga likes this.
Originally Posted by Chief-Techie View Post
Karan was in his Fantasy World Dreaming Adi Wearing a Red Dress & then Sending a Red Hot Msg

sohail99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12   #10
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
trolling around

baba doga is Notable

surfed around a bit on the website. they are doing things the way naaptol etc. did. being brutally honest, it's a half heart attempt from someone like amazon. might be good for price discovery but that's about it. I am looking for a e-tailer who can be trusted and has a wiiiide variety of products, not an 'event management company' in the e-commerce realm.
ManISinJpr, modeSEVEN and avi like this.
baba doga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12   #11
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
Hurr durr durr durhurr durr hu

Regranter Maradis is simply GreatRegranter Maradis is simply GreatRegranter Maradis is simply GreatRegranter Maradis is simply GreatRegranter Maradis is simply GreatRegranter Maradis is simply GreatRegranter Maradis is simply GreatRegranter Maradis is simply GreatRegranter Maradis is simply GreatRegranter Maradis is simply GreatRegranter Maradis is simply GreatRegranter Maradis is simply Great

Lol no way.
kauffmann and avi like this.
Old 02-02-12   #12
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
Puny human

Originally Posted by baba doga View Post
surfed around a bit on the website. they are doing things the way naaptol etc. did. being brutally honest, it's a half heart attempt from someone like amazon. might be good for price discovery but that's about it. I am looking for a e-tailer who can be trusted and has a wiiiide variety of products, not an 'event management company' in the e-commerce realm.
Its just beta for now .. they will have full fledged delivery service once they have big army of suppliers.
Old 02-02-12   #13
teh zeuS!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

pappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famedpappusmailbox is highly Famed

The one who would understand the local market with an Indian mindset is the one who would prevail.

In current times, FlipKart understands it very well.

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

I don't think the majority of the population in our country want to ever enter the hassles of RMA.
So, I feel arrival in mint condition and COD will be the biggest determining factors..followed by sasta.
Old 02-02-12   #14
Unelected
Staff
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
It just links to Amazon.com for things like premium engine oils and stuff!

At least out of all the e-portals its the only one with a 'automotive' section!
Hey .. stop spending so much on auto stuff. You hardly drive your car anyway.
Old 02-02-12   #15
Unelected
Staff
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

Originally Posted by dexterboygenius View Post
Its just beta for now .. they will have full fledged delivery service once they have big army of suppliers.
It's not so simple as that because of legal problems as well. You see FDI in multibrand retail is not permitted in India so it cant just start operations like and extension of Amazon USA. Infact I suspect that these e-tailers are already in odds with the law by bringing in FDI for retail here.
Post New Thread  Reply