Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Interesting News on the Web
Register Forgot Password?

Old 24-12-14   #1
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery
Airtel to Charge for Skype, Viber, Google Hangouts Etc on 2G/3G

Bharti Airtel Ltd, India’s largest telecommunications carrier by subscribers, will soon start charging users extra money for using VIOP services such as Skype, Viber, Line and Google Hangouts as Indian operators look to boost their data revenues and profits.

Although there was no official announcement, the change in policy appears as fine print on the company website that states "All Internet/data packs or plans (through which customer can avail discounted rate) shall only be valid for internet browsing and will exclude VoIP (Both incoming/ Outgoing). VoIP over data connectivity would be charged at standard data rates of 4p / 10 KB (3G service) and 10p / 10 KB (2G service)."

“We have made some revisions in the composition of our data packs, and will offer VoIP connectivity through an independent pack that will be launched shortly,” Airtel told Mint in an emailed statement. The exact details oft he pack are not known at this time.

The move currently affects only prepaid users. Users using these services over Airtel Broadband or Airtel postpaid services will not be charged anything extra for now.

The popularity and business model of services such as Whatsapp, Skype and others, where users can text or make calls without having to pay extra money, has been a sore point for Indian telecom companies for a long time. If this move succeeds then their next move will be to target internet messaging services such as whatsapp and chaton. Currently users can send messages for nearly free on these services whereas a single SMS can cost Rs 1.00 or more. If all of these services are blocked then it will be a huge revenue boost for the telecom companies.
mostwanted2 likes this.
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-14   #2
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

manojcitc is Notable
Re: Airtel to Charge for Skype, Viber, Google Hangouts Etc on 2G/3G

Failtel again with ridiculous idea...
manojcitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-14   #3
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Technologic.

mostwanted2 is Notable

Airtel is cheap company with un-fair business practice. Last month they send me the bill of 2k and i said i run on a monthly plan which from past one year never goes beyond 500 i.n.r and after a week fighting with them they corrected the bill.
Same goes with broadband from unlimited to 30 gb cap and then straight 10 gb and now 5 gb for 2 mbps connection. All they chant is trai has done so. They tell straight lies.

I am not happy with them at all.
Old 26-12-14   #4
Neo[t]
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
SteelSeries SenSei <3

prateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply GreatprateekS is simply Great

Idea and Vodafone to follow suit soon.

The cartel is strong and united.

Time to leave India,soon u will have to pay for the function of calling.Pay 200 / month to get phone signal.
prateekS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-14   #5
teh zeuS!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
Common Sense - A Superpower

Fenix is highly AdmirableFenix is highly AdmirableFenix is highly AdmirableFenix is highly AdmirableFenix is highly AdmirableFenix is highly AdmirableFenix is highly Admirable

Read the newspaper today and Govt said that it will look into this matter . For now it looks like Airtel burned its hands. There have been many threads about it on reddit . Its like you can use the potato to make fries but not for wedges .
Old 26-12-14   #6
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

SoundsGreat is very Notable

Hi,

No amount of kicking and screaming on the net will help unless all the Airtel users decide to unite (which in country is very unlikely) and boycott the damn operator !! God damn company with a down right ridiculous plans and shit offers.

They started the trend of FUP in the BB sector which has become the norm now,so this new charges for VOIP is going to be the next norm in the telecom industry !!

Please I urge all the Airtel users to head to the below site and also tweet.

Net Neutrality in India

Regards.
SoundsGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-14   #7
teh nuB!

nishesh555786 is Mysterious

Yes this is ridiculous news ! What the **** is wrong with them .
nishesh555786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-14   #8
teh priesT!
[E]onian

manjeet is very Honorablemanjeet is very Honorable

This gonna take place soon : http://www.theforthright.com/voip-ai...ng-separately/

manjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-14   #9
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

redhotiron2004 is Notable

Lol.. Fu** Airtel.... :what:

redhotiron2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-14   #10
teh nuB!
Your dad's a Nub!

swatkats is Mysterious

Airtel has today announced that it will bring New VoIP packs which will offer 75mb of VoIP data with an Recharge of Rs. 75 for Prepaid customers which will have a validity of 28Days.
The company has announced its decision recently to charge Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) Calls as it thinks “VoIP services in their current form are not tenable for us as a business. As a result, we will charge separately for VoIP services.” It is also planning to introduce Such Packs even for its Postpaid users.

Source: Airtel Brings New VoIP Prepaid Packs
swatkats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-14   #11
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian
Bring it ON !!!

Rig Gallery

saifbukhari is very Honorablesaifbukhari is very Honorable

Boo you Airtel !!!!! its all in the making if not immediate - long live net neutrality....
Old 26-12-14   #12
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian
Technologic.

mostwanted2 is Notable

I dont have any idea? Will they do the same with broadband service? Extra charges for voip?

Sent From Samsung S5
mostwanted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-14   #13
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Originally Posted by mostwanted2 View Post
I dont have any idea? Will they do the same with broadband service? Extra charges for voip?
That would be the next logical step. After voice, messages should be next.
Old 26-12-14   #14
teh pretendeR!
[E]onian

SoundsGreat is very Notable

Hi,

This clearly shows that they don't care a damn as usual and nor are they concerned about all negative flak drawn on the internet,The statement of Mr.Ravishankar Prasad saying the govt will look into it didn't make a iota of difference clearly goes on to show as to what they really are made of and how confidant they are of their policies no matter however shitty they are !!!They just are too big to care and know damn too well that people will have to accept it eventually (just like after all the kicking and screaming one had to accept FUP in BB) and cannot do a single thing, Plus they know for a fact that all the others will follow makes them even more victorious and arrogant.

Ohh Well its doom time for all of us,lets enjoy while it lasts !!

Regards.

Last edited by SoundsGreat; 26-12-14 at 10:15 PM.
SoundsGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-14   #15
teh nuB!
[E]onian
BUSY ALWAYS

drkrack is Notable

All of us should call Airtel customer support and ask for number portability to bsnl etc
Stating this as reason for migration.

Let's see if it works
drkrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply