Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation
  • Home
  • Forums
  • Articles
  • News
  • Gaming
  • Bazaar
  • Community
  • What's New
  • My Erodov
  • Help
navigation
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Articles > Reviews & Previews
Register Forgot Password?
Follow Erodov on Twitter Follow Us
Join us on FaceBook Join Us
Post New Article  Comment

Article Tools Search this Article
ADATA XPG SX900 128GB SSD Review
ADATA XPG SX900 128GB SSD Review
Date: 08-01-13
Topic: Reviews & Previews
Author: Karan Misra

About Author:
Software professional and gizmo tracker , keeps abreast of e-nnovations; a love that led him to create Erodov

Index
How we tested? 
idea 7% more data

7% more data

RAISE. One word.

Actually I lied. RAISE stands for Redundant Array of Independent Silicon Elements (quite a mouthful!)

All Sandforce drives have RAISE marked as optional. What it essentially does is use one full die of NAND (which comes to around 8 GiB when dealing with 2x nm silicon) for parity data. This allows you (actually your drive) to loose a full NAND die worth of data and still have the ability to have it reconstructed back. Every manufacturer thus far has been releasing Sandforce based SSDs with RAISE enabled on their > 120GB models. ADATA is simply the first manufacturer to ship a drive with RAISE disabled, thus allow for that extra NAND space to become available to the user.

We have to allow the OS to grab some space during the formatting process, and we end up with approximately ~119 GB of user space in Windows. Compared to what we would get with the so called 120GB Sandforce RAISE enabled drives, this is quite impressive.

This was ADATA’s methodology in 1-uping every other manufacturer. No special firmware, no added NAND, no controller tricks. But how did it manage to pull the same claim of in its 64 GB version. Every other manufacturer disables RAISE because there is not enough NAND to go around. If a full 8 GiB die is dedicated to RAISE, then you will be left with too little user accessible space (even before formatting.) What ADATA did is simply reduce the space available to over provisioning (a spare area which every SSD must have to do its self maintenance; a process which is critical to enabling a long healthy performant life.)

All in all, this is a calculated gamble which ADATA has taken by disabling RAISE. Although Sandforce doesn’t require it to be enabled for consumer drives, there is always the odd chance that you end up with a lemon NAND die which passed through Q/C? (more on this in the conclusion)

Index
How we tested? 

Tools
Add to KiD0M4N's Karma
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
<<  <    Next Page: How we tested? (Page 2 of 6)    >  >>
By Fenix 08-01-13
Re: ADATA XPG SX900 128GB SSD Review

To the point and a great review. Best part was the OS boot up time and game loading time , But Karan still it is expensive,I have never upgraded to an SSD and currently have a 150 GB VR running in my PC .
By manu1991 08-01-13

er... but at just 300 Rs. more, isnt this a much better deal:
OCZ 128GB Vertex 4 SSD

also doesn't have the dreaded sandforce controller.
By ManISinJpr ♦ 08-01-13

A very thorough and detailed review here, Thanks @KiD0M4N , but speaking on a bystander pov, I still think that RAISE is needed in these ssd's.
Also as the market situation is, there are vertex4 non sandforce ssd's available, specially as the price is not so high for that.
By vijayninel 08-01-13

Thanks for the review Karan. The performance is indeed impressive but the price will still keep this as a niche product.
By KrAwL1125 14-01-13

Wow I knew SSDs were a lot faster than mechanical drives but I had no idea the difference in performance is this big! Next upgrade - SSD. Nice review
By thehardwareguy 20-01-13

Nice review! :-)
By Orcrist 21-01-13

Ok, but the price seems a bit high.
I would rather go with a OCZ Vertex 4 or Agility 3.
By Revolution 25-01-13

Price is still way too high.
Post New Article  Comment
Please share with friends!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search