Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum.

navigation start navigation end
Go Back   Erodov.com Forums | India's Top Technology forum. > Lounge > Interesting News on the Web
Register Forgot Password?

Old 05-10-09   #1
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery
64-Bit Compatibility Required for Windows 7 Sticker

64-Bit Compatibility Required for Windows 7 Sticker

Devices must work with all versions of Windows 7 to claim official compatibility
Microsoft has started certifying PCs as "compatible with Windows 7" in a bid to reassure PC buyers. The new logo will appear on devices that "have passed Microsoft designed tests for compatibility and reliability with Windows 7."

However, many will doubt whether they can take Microsoft's word for it following the fiasco of the Vista sticker scheme. Microsoft found itself on the wrong end of a long-running lawsuit in the US, after the company allowed PC makers to put Vista Capable stickers on machines only powerful enough to run Vista Home Basic, which didn't include many of the advanced features such as the Aero Glass interface.

Court documents revealed that Microsoft lowered the requirements at the last minute at the behest of Intel, whose 915 chipset was originally set to be omitted. Even senior Microsoft officials admitted the company "really botched" the scheme.

So what tests have Microsoft set for Windows 7 compatibility? The software giant states that any machine carrying the sticker will have to "work with all versions of Windows 7". That includes the 64-bit versions of the operating system, which Microsoft claims "is an important change since 64-bit systems are becoming more mainstream".

Microsoft also claims that "products that receive the logo are checked for common issues to minimise the number of crashes, hangs, and reboots experienced by the user," although it gives no further details of what such tests involve.

The software giant is also at pains to state that it reached out to hardware manufacturers much earlier than it did with Windows Vista, no doubt to avoid a repeat of the Intel fiasco.

The situation is also eased by Windows 7's relatively lightweight demands on PC hardware. Microsoft has long stated that any hardware capable of running Vista will cope with Windows 7 - a claim borne out by PC Pro's own tests. That means hardware manufacturers are unlikely to be leaning on Microsoft to certify borderline kit, as they have in the past.

Source: Has Microsoft learnt its lessons with Windows 7 stickers? | Enterprise | News | PC Pro
vijayninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09   #2
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent
Re: 64-Bit Compatibility Required for Windows 7 Sticker

In other Windows news Engadget is reporting that Windows 7 retail boxes have started arriving in stores.

The Boxes have a Warning sticker on them saying that "Do Not Sell or Display This Product Before October 22, 2009".

Old 05-10-09   #3
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian
I havent set my status yet.

Rig Gallery

stonedsurd is extremely Renowned
stonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renowned

I saw a whole stack of Win7 boxes at Best Buy last night.
Very exciting. Not for me though, MSDN already came to the rescue
stonedsurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09   #4
Unelected
Administrator
Meum pactum dictum

Rig Gallery

vijayninel is extremely Eminent
vijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminentvijayninel is extremely Eminent

Oh thats nice. Anyone seen the boxes in India as yet ?

Edit: How did you see them in Best buy Stoned ? BestBuy is not supposed to display those boxes. Microsoft will have their hide if they are already displaying/selling them.
Old 05-10-09   #5
teh spamm[E]R!
[E]onian

Rig Gallery

stonedsurd is extremely Renowned
stonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renownedstonedsurd is extremely Renowned

It was closing time, I was buying new speakers, and I peeked into the storage.
stonedsurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09   #6
Jason Bourne
Community Moderator
Mushtakhanda !!!

ManISinJpr is extremely Noble
ManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely NobleManISinJpr is extremely Noble

And what about this msdn build, what is the build number etc...I want a fresh copy after having tried ohh so many of them !!

ManISinJpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09   #7
teh smartie pantS!
[E]onian

Prophet of the Pimps is highly AdmirableProphet of the Pimps is highly AdmirableProphet of the Pimps is highly AdmirableProphet of the Pimps is highly AdmirableProphet of the Pimps is highly AdmirableProphet of the Pimps is highly Admirable

msdn copy build number is 7600. its the retail version. i got win 7 pro from msdnaa. I think i can safely say that this is first windows OS that i wouldnt not require to do a format reinstall after every 8 to 10 months.
Old 06-10-09   #8
teh zeuS!
Pr[e]f[e]rr[e]d M[e]mb[e]r
FUUUUU !

Stuge is extemely Distinguished
Stuge is extemely DistinguishedStuge is extemely DistinguishedStuge is extemely DistinguishedStuge is extemely DistinguishedStuge is extemely DistinguishedStuge is extemely DistinguishedStuge is extemely DistinguishedStuge is extemely Distinguished

countdown begins I'm very excited at the moment .
Stuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply